Lost boy
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Lost boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lost boy

This is supposed to be my lost boy in the saga of some sort of fantasy story i'm plotting, lol. I'm not sure if he's a spirit yet or something but it'll all come to place (I hope), but anyway, enough of the crap, lets get down to business

I pretty much dived straight in there with the sketch having a vision in my head straight away, but then I started painting without checking it anatomy wise first, so I hope to god it's not all wrong. The background is suppose to be a dramatic sky, which I'll continue later, and that's a pony he's suppose to riding not a horse. so I hope the size difference is ok . Also I could use some major help on the lighting since I couldn't find many or any references with the lighting from just behind, for neither the horse or the boy. oh and I don't plan to keep him demon eyed forever, lol. Anyway, anymore mistakes than the many i've mentioned please tell coz atm it looks like i'm going to end up with another unfinished failure, lol . Hope this was posted in the right section
    Soulful

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tydal; January 8th, 2008 at 03:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well this is super early in the painting, so definately do some more painting......the great thing with digital is even if you almost finished this and people found errors, they are super easy to correct.

Now, drawing a person out of your head AND not checking the anatomy is just the biggest no no no no no ever....seriously, why would you even do that ? Check the anatomy, hell, lay the anatomy/proportions down as the very first thing you do......as it's standing that arm is bigger then his leg and since we are at a low/looking up perspective, the leg should appear bigger then it normally would....so that arm is actually ridiculously long. Also it's a bad bad idea and habit to get into cuting things, putting them on a layer and moving them around to fix stuff......just erase it and re-draw it.....or if you really really need to be lazy, use the Layers -> liquify tool to make little adjustments...

You have the general right idea for the lighting....it's gonna make his back bright and his front dark.....dont forget about his cast shadow on the donkey for when you are laying in highlights on it.

Everything else is way too early/sketchy to comment on.....work on it more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get reference on the pony too, and the way people sit on one. This doesn't have to be in the same lighting you're looking for, that's relatively easy to make up. It'd probably also be a good idea to go back to the thumbnail stage and search for a more interesting compostion. You don't have one now. On the good hand, the boy's ok anatomy-wise, except i dont think the light forms round the delta muscle that way, and his arm's too long.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe thanks shatter and wal v much for your crits and comments (which were nice and fast )on what there was to c&c, and it's not all bad for once The cutting and pasting bit was just on the initial sketch, and I did that quick because I thought the body needed raising, and unfortunately i don't really have a tablet to redraw it sorry...

Both of you are definitely right about the arm, and other limbs, lol. I guess that's another slap across the forehead for me for not checking it first. As said, bad habbits As for the composition, I understand what you mean. The thing with this is I just wanted it to be more noble instead of horses galloping going wild about the place. Yet I undestand despite the fact he's suppose to be somewhat relaxed it could be far more dynamic. I'm glad I god the lighting near right, and i'll go look up some pony's, hehe. Well, I guess it's off to work again after a good nights sleep (and my SATS revision, lol), thanks again
    Soulful!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update:

done a bit of work on the face, only problem now is it's so detailed that you can't make it out from far away, argh >.< lol will work on rest soonish, now to get to my revision. Once again please C&C if you can

Tydal

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.