View Poll Results: Vote for your fav entry regarding the topic!

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • CallOps

0 0%
  • N D Hill

1 0.91%
  • Cloister

5 4.55%
  • Apocalypse_Rex

14 12.73%
  • PutridusCor

0 0%
  • benu

1 0.91%
  • Sovereign

0 0%
  • SPipes

2 1.82%
  • bigmikey

3 2.73%
  • gatling

9 8.18%
  • Peg

3 2.73%
  • xgabo

7 6.36%
  • Lege1

0 0%
  • artistpavel

0 0%
  • VegasMike

19 17.27%
  • Lander

1 0.91%
  • Thalion

4 3.64%
  • Paul Kang

2 1.82%
  • Frumpy Dog

0 0%
  • Azathoth

0 0%
  • Anthis

3 2.73%
  • scorge

12 10.91%
  • jfwalls

19 17.27%
  • Samolo

1 0.91%
  • Chelette

1 0.91%
  • Michael Jaecks

3 2.73%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Call0ps: I really like your design, but I think your image needs some more finishing, especially around the mouth and head area of the creature. It's also a little difficult to tell if there's one or two creatures. At first I thought it had 2 heads. Basically just push this some more, get some textures and detail on the creatures hides, and maybe get a more dynamic angle.

N D Hill: Great design, and an extremely ugly head! I think you would've had my vote if you had worked up a little more detail around his head and shoulder area.

Cloister: Definitely terrifying! Really cool design. Only crit I have would be some more detail on the creature itself. I like the way it melts the ice to form a kind of slide. I can just imagine explorers looking at the ice, wondering why it's so smooth, and then this thing comes screaming down to devour
    them.
    Apocalypse_Rex: Very unique design. There's really not much to crit, but I would like to see more of the creature.

PutridusCor: Cool design. I think of the two images you have the bottom is the best. There's something I don't like about the way the creature looks coming out of the ice. It seems kind of soft and puffy to me, and not like something that can drill through the ice like you say. Also, except for the edges which reach the ocean, glaciers are pretty much land bound. So I think there's a little incontinuity in your description and your images.

benu: I like the soft, watercolor feel to your creature. It would make a nice children's book illustration, which of course doesn't really make it very terrifying. I think since it sleeps in ice crevasses it would have some snow and ice matted into its fur also.

Sovereign: Okay, this thing is just weird looking. At first glance the creature is really cool looking, but when I start to study it I find it really hard to discern the different parts. Maybe it's because it seems kind of flat, but I'm not sure. Overall I think it's a good design, but maybe suffers from a poor angle of view.

SPipes:Nice action, interesting creature, but a somewhat weak description I think. I don't know something that lets itself get frozen in the ice, and only eats when it thaws and something wanders close doesn't seem like it would last very long. As far as the illustration goes it's a little confusing what's where on the creature.

bigmikey:Cool idea. I can see a swarm of these attacking something on the ice. I think the head seems a little big though.

gatling: This is a great image, and I love the lighting, colors, and story. However, I think it's a little hard to see what the whole creature looks like. Also, I think that boat needs to worry more about the waves than the creature, and where's the glacier? Otherwise this is a great illo, and I would love to see that in a book, game, or movie.

Peg: Cool picture, but there doesn't seem to be much creature. It seems like there's a lot hidden from view under the ice. That little guy is bummin' though.

xgabo: Great pic as usual, but I just can't stop seeing that right arm as being extremely gimpy. I wish you would've worked out the foreshortening on that arm little better.

Lege1:Interesting design, but you need more texture on that sucker. The brush strokes are kind of blurry and messy, and the anatomy on the arm and hands is iffy. Also, I think you've packed a little bit too much into this guy. A favorite quote of mine, "A good design isn't when you have nothing left to add, but when you have nothing left to take away."

artistpavel: Good to see some experimentation with abstract shapes and forms. However, like Fozz said you gotta turn it into a believable creature, and not just a jumble of shapes and textures with some eyes and a mouth. You do have a great sense of movement with this image though.

VegasMike: No crits on the actual image. Awesome creature, great colors, wonderful action, but this looks more like a Iceberg terror rather than a glacier terror.

Lander: I could be wrong, but it seems like you lost your focus a little bit on this design compared to your past entries. I wish I could see more details on this guys head!

Thalion: I love this guys head, but I'm not sure about the paws. that guy must be crazy to attack that beast! One question though, why is only a few flecks of blurry snow up close, but none in the background? I say more snow!

Paul Kang: This is a nice simple design, but it doesn't seem terrifying, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with glaciers. I love the oversized body though.

FrumpyDog: Wonderfully fun image, but I don't think it fulfills the terror or the glacier portion of the brief.

Azathoth: I like the ice gremlin idea. I think the biggest thing that bothers me about this creature is the incongruity in the arms in legs. Also, it would be extremely difficult to stay erect on this little pointy legs. The anatomy of the head is okay, but those arms are all over the place. Keep working on your anatomy and design elements.

Anthis: Nice image. A little too crawfish for me, but I'm glad to see someone go the arthropod route. Poor seal

scorge: This one reminds me of your skull collector, but is rendered much better I think. That tiny front foot bothers me also. I think some more more folds and wrinkles, especially in the belly area would definitely help to break up the smoothiness of its skin. I really like the movement and energy you've captured though.

Samolo: The face looks really cool, but the rest of this guy just gets lost in the smudged fur. More definition to its body would help a lot.

Chelette: Interesting little icy guy. I'd really like to see some more color in this one. I know it's not required, but the design is rather simple, and I think some color would really help to bring interest to the creature. This guy could use some more detail also. I wouldn't know he was made of ice if you hadn't said so.

Michael Jaecks: While I don't think this guy is as rendered up as some of your past entries, I really like the design. You've come so far since I first started participating in COW that it's really great to see your entries. Ok, one crit...I don't like the clouds in the BG.

Whew! More entries than I thought. Thanks for all the comments, crits, and votes so far guys! I really appreciate it.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jfwalls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i voted for gatling, really liked the concept... and the painting is awesome ;p

Thanks
    Cloister – an incredible piece as usual, one of my top choices, I love the design and especially the face, I wish there was more of a “glow” or something around the belly as in your description though (well maybe he’s already warmed up, but it still would be cool)!

Apocalypse Rex – another great piece, I’ve always wanted to draw a mouth kind of like that but never been able to figure out how it would articulate, I think you’ve pulled it off quite well!!

Gatling – I love this, the design of the whole thing is incredible, you would have my vote except that it is a little difficult to distinguish the creature from the background (though that’s also what makes it such an amazing piece of artwork).

Vegas Mike – awesome as usual, my runner up!

But I have to go with....

Scorge! Great unique design, AMAZING overall piece, love the concept, great work all round!

Thanks
    oh... I forgot to mention, a silver medal to scorge too...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Nice turn out everyone. I got to do this more often.

Cloister: Love it, man. I think it has a real Ray Harryhausen feel and for some reason I want to see it animated with stop motion.

Apocalypse_Rex: Great movement and I love how the head came out.

Sovereign: I like the sense of bioluminescence. All through some of those lines in the mid-section seam to be floating.

gatling: I like the epic quality to this one. It seams like something out of Homer's Odyssey.

XGABO: Great piece. The face alone is brilliant.

VegasMike: Very dynamic.

Thalion: You nailed the sense of scale here. All though the hind legs seam to lack a little articulation.

scorge: This moves with avery convincing balance and seams like on of the few that would work in real life. I love the mouth and that beard.

Michael Jaecks: Very fun design. I love the asymmetry and that you put eyes on the chin as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 724 Posts
    Call0ps; Interesting concept with the energy, would be nice if it was reflected in the creature design also. Liking the unusual mouth, and the long tongue the one in the back uses to grab that polar bear. Think the one in the back blends in too well with the front one, almost as if we're dealing with a 2headed creature. Think you should either move him a bit, add more legs, or play with the contrast and such to push him away from the front one.
    N D Hill; Nice antifreeze concept, fun creature name also. I wasn't too creative with that. You've used some unusual shapes on his head, think it works well. I'm not sure about the composition, with its head all the way to the right. Missing a solid focus. That front paw seems a little thick and dysfunctional, not sure whether that was intended though
    Cloister; Liking the colors, and the smooth brushwork. The lighting really shows which parts are hard and sharp, and which are soft. Somehow the mountains in the back seem a little small compared to the creature. Think footsteps from the humans and some sliding marks from the creature would do well. Very on-topic concept.
    Apocalypse_Rex; Unusual creature, but it works well. Think the rendering and good lighting make it look pretty natural. Think its a shame you can't see the whole body. He's worm-like, from the discription, but his body seems in an odd angle somehow, or I'm missing the transition. Nice action pic, and fits the topic well.
    PutridusCor; Liking the action alot, especially with the rotating body and those tentacles. The people running off make for a good sense of scale and a dramatic feel. I think you could have pushed the contrast a little. The environment almost wholly soft and white, even the chunks of broken ice seem smooth. Digging the concept. I'd like to know what's on those tentacles though; are those the sensory organs, used for grabbing things, something else?
    benu; That seems to be traditional. I've been fooled before though, so I'm in doubt. Either way; has a nice feel about it. Bit like an illustration in a zoology book or something, with the pose like that, and the traditional feel. It might be a weak point too; it doesn't make for a striking scene. I like how it looks, although I think you could have pushed the conceptual part a bit.
    Sovereign; Some crazy rendering, love how it looks. Very nice ice feel, looks a bit fragile and immovable though. Nicely unusual creature. I think that floor he's sitting on makes your piece look a little flat, because he's sitting like on the horizon
    SPipes; Suitable arctic creature, with the hair and the camouflage. Good sense of flexibility, all coiled up like that. He doesn't seem to be thawing though, just stuck in the ice. I think a more smooth, glowing, wet look on the ice would help. You really need the description to completely "understand" the picture.
    bigmikey; I like how the ice is reflected in the body itself. When I saw one of you sketches, I thought it would be a swimming creature at first. I think the concept of having a creature like that climbing in those ice ravines is pretty good. But 3 legs seems a bit like a handicap. Creature fits the topic well though, and I like the head design.
    gatling; Very very very nice rendering. Nice painting feel. Although I can roughly see what it looks like, I can't really picture the creature itself. Think thats a bit of a shame for such a well executed image. The description doesn't help out either, although it makes for a nice mood. Liking the smiley-chunk of ice btw.
    Peg; Well executed image, looks very natural. Thats some nice and clean brushwork. Good composition too, the warm colored human is a good touch. It looks somewhat sketchy though, and it has something plant-like. Adding a pic of the whole creature, like PutridusCor did, would help too.
    xgabo; Nice and ferocious creature and an aggressive pose. Works really well. I think an indication of scale would be nice. You can see it's big, but no way to tell how big. Liking the texture on its skin, is that done with just a custom brush of a few spots? I've seen it before, no idea how to do that. Fits the topic well.
    Lege1; Like with Cloister, I think sliding creatures work really well for this topic. Think those ski's are a bit too much.. ski-like though.. not fitting a creature. Think you should work a bit on establishing focus. Like desaturating the back, adding details to the front, etc.
    artistpavel; No idea how you did that, but those are some pretty shapes. Fits the 'terror' label well. Shame you can't really see the whole creature, though that has been mentioned before. Doesn't seem like a particular polar creature either.
    VegasMike; Very professional, nice rendering. I should check out the tutorial you posted. Body seems a bit snake-like. Like how it has several pair of fins though. No real crits here ;[
    Lander; Great action, nice to see a serpentine creature also. You achieved a good environment with just a few brush strokes. Doesn't seem to be a distinct polar/ice creature, think thats missing. Nice interaction between the creature and those climbers, makes for a good sense of scale and a dynamic piece.
    Thalion; Nice arctic feel even though its so dark. I like the environment alot. And the snowflakes seem perfect to me. I think you could have pushed the concept a little more, apart from just its size and the horn. Think you could have gone for a better crop as well, he seems kind of 'caged' in between the edges of your piece.
    Paul Kang; Fun creature and a nicely matching description. Just a bit too much of a sketch to me, you could have done a lot more on the execution. Nice though, with those icebergs and several pairs of fins.
    FrumpyDog; The expression is priceless, and although perhaps a bit of a basic shape, it matches the simple body perfectly. Makes for an interesting creature, nice description too. Missing the terror-part though, it looks peaceful in a way
    Azathoth; Crazy creature, with those legs and the big jaws, hairy body, humanoid arms. Havoc is a perfect fitting name indeed; just the kind of creature to cause mayhem and chaos. The legs seem a little clumsy and unstable though. Think you should use some more ref to make the anatomy more believable.
    scorge; There's a both sad and harsh feel about your creature, fits your description perfectly. Think you should watch your tangent points a little, his tail lines up perfectly with the cliff in the back. Think your concept is great and very fitting for the topic. Think the foreshortening isn't working quite yet, and some features seem a bit too weak or smooth for a body. Think some stronger muscles and wrinkles and such would help. The bleak skin, beard, and expression are great though.
    jfwalls; Your creature truly is terror. You're using the expression, environment, and composition very well to achieve this. Eyes and mouth are perfect. Clean and nicely done. Although ice troll isn't that much of a new concept, you've given it a nice touch, especially with the extra pair of arms.
    Samolo; You've done a great job on the fur, and that's some nice rendering and details on the head too. I'm missing a real shape though, can't really see the creature. In this case, I'd go for a background other than white too
    Chelette; Nice! another serpent-like creature. Somehow the first I thought of when I saw the topic. Love how the ice is really a part of its body. Think you could have added a more 'crisp' look to its body, so you can really see the icy texture. The red core/heart is a nice touch.
    Michael Jaecks; Thats once crazy creature. Respect to you for pushing out a finished work on that last day. Very well readable creature, nice job on the lineart and a good texture. Very fitting as a terror. Can't help the feel that it's still unfinished though. Might be the surroundings, although thats not really what C.o.w is about, of course.

Took the time to crit everyone, just some thoughts. Hope they're welcome.

My vote is a tie between jfwalls and VegasMike. Can't make up my mind, will make a decision later on ;/

This was my first time joining and I feel I learned quite a bit from participating and watching/analyzing other peoples progress and finals. I'll be sure to start right away on the next round, I'm taking ages using a mouse anyways ;/
    See you next round!

Take a look at my Website!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For me, Jfwalls took this round. Great pose, lighting and rendering.

Michael Jaecks, Vegas Mike and Cloister were close seconds though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Supervlieg For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My vote goes to...

ApocalypseRex. The design itself is great, but it's the way you captured the sheer freakin' scale of this thing that makes it stand out. All of the finalists' work is top-notch, but Rex is the winner in my eyes. Awesome work, man!

RMick

Thanks
    had a couple that were almost my vote but vegasmike got it- the action- the design -the trickery....and the chompers...spikey

Thanks
    Wowie. The vote spread is incredible this round. I figured it would get spread out, but not this much. The tension! The suspense!

The lead vote getters need to keep checking back ten times a day. I know I would.

Good luck to all. I'm sure it will feel all the more sweet to win a star under such competative pressure.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jaecks View Post
    Wowie. The vote spread is incredible this round. I figured it would get spread out, but not this much. The tension! The suspense!

The lead vote getters need to keep checking back ten times a day. I know I would.

Good luck to all. I'm sure it will feel all the more sweet to win a star under such competative pressure.
    Yes! It's driving me crazy! This is my first COW I've been in the lead! Alright, off to dinner and a movie, and I'll be checking back shortly.

Thanks
    hee hee hee. Yah. I checked the Spongeback thread like every 15 minutes. It makes you nutty, but you know what... It means you care about your work, and I think that's cool.

Thanks
    It was pretty close for me. Ended up voting for VegasMike but Apocalypse_Rex and Jfwalls were a close second.

Thanks
    yep. odd thing that the voting takes just as much of your time as the creation of the next COW

When the voting for the #102 Skull Collector was on. I was a wreck. So close to a tree way tie (21,20,20) and Stephan_R just 4 votes behind. Guess I'm sort of relaxed right now.
    Anthis, jfwalls: Awesome feedback. It's very informative to read the feedback on others work.
    Sculpt some more.
    My path of learning (sb)
    What I do
    wellander.com
    Where I sell my sculptures
    Galleri Hantverket
    Where I have my studio
    Bryggeriet

Thanks
    wow thanks for all the comments and voting!

I only started on these cow topics at christmas, and I was really unsure if I would 'fit in' either style wise or quality wise, but I'm enjoying it loads and learning stuff every time so I expect I shall be back again and again!

good job making nubs like me feel welcome!

lot of nice entries this time around - and lots to learn from 'em.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast