Hungry for honest crit, feel free to be brutal
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hungry for honest crit, feel free to be brutal

Gwenny_Morbid is offline Clean, lemony-fresh victory is mine! Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Hungry for honest crit, feel free to be brutal

None of my friends, art teacher or even the random people that occasionally browse through my LJ has ever attempted to give me anything but mindless praise. While praise is nice and all, I am a grade 12 student currently looking into attending ACAD and getting a serious career, I want to improve and that isnít going to happen with everyone tripping over themselves to kiss my ass.

That's where you lovely people come in. Remember, Iím more then capable of handling brutally honest criticism.

Um, also, I got Corel Painter X for Christmas, and if anyone has a good tutorial or something that they can link me to, it would be much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I say this is pretty good stuff and keep going forward with the ACAD plan. the style looks a little formilar though, like Tim Burton maybe, not that it's a bad thing, you've thrown your own curve into it.
    oh, just google 'corel painter tutorials' and you'll end up finding what you need.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the style! You use a lot of scribbly lines- thats okay, but you should still practice steady lines. Some things in these like the door frame look like they should be firm and straight but ended up kinda wobbly. I like the way you draw people best, backgrounds are nice but could use some work.

Sketchbook group: MoHog Stimulus 626elemental

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm enjoying the style, nothing wildly original, but you're following it through well. The second-to-last one caught my eye because you're wasting some potential to play with light and shadow by having two light sources that seemingly overlap for no compositional reason. When you're laying out a drawing like that, consider - 1) which one is casting the evil shadow, the moon or the candle, and 2) where?

- MK

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    if tim burton had a gay french son who was molested by jhonen vasquez, the art would probably look like this.

the quirky-goth style doesnt really bother me despite my last line being possible slander.

instead i'd work on technical skills, such as maintaining consistent line weight and the harmonious pairing of the sketches from paper into a digital image. it looks like youre struggling with scanning a graphite image and try to clean it up on photoshop, but not knowing exactly how to go about getting rid of the mess without losing needed visual detail.theres a fairly large juxtoposition between the coloring and line work, which feels as though some aspects of the medium havent been resolved.

by far the most successful image is the 3rd one of the hallway. yeah the perspective is all warpy, but it adds to the concept. i personally prefer the lack of color to the images where the color seems forced and doesnt always pair well with the subject.

i'd like to see you get more comfortable with using ink, as i believe you'll find the contrast to be rewarding in adding to the mood of the pieces.

Gwenny_Morbid is offline Clean, lemony-fresh victory is mine! Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Erick Willand - Thank you! I am proficient in other styles other then the Tim Burton one, but I think this one comes more naturally to me, even if it isnít the most original.

626elemental - Yeah, I'm more comfortable with making scribbly images, because mistakes are less noticeable. XD I'll definitely try and make some more polished pieces in the future.

Riess - I'm going to be honest here, this piece was one of those five second sketches that turned into a big long thing. At first it was only the boy and the candle but then I was like, "Hey, you know whatís missing here? AN EVIL SHADOW." and it sort of spiraled outward from that with little thought process going into it. Planning out composition is something I obviously have to work on.

Grief -
    if tim burton had a gay french son who was molested by jhonen vasquez, the art would probably look like this.
    Donít forget Edward Gorey who was wanking off and filming the entire thing from a darkened closet.

Congratulations. You win at life. Iím soo going to use that description the next time someone asks me to describe my art. Oh god...

It's true; I've got a pretty crappy scanner. I normally turn the image black and white to get rid of how blue it comes out and then use ĎLevelsí and ĎBrightness/Contrastí tools until Iím partially satisfied. What do you suggest I do differently to clean it up?

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is really good imaginative stuff... I really like the style you're developing...

Maybe bring a bit more anatomy to it as you go along... but don't lose the way you express as you learn more.

If you get a chance check out Natalie Ascencios' stuff... you might find you really dig it and can use some of what she does in your own stuff... http://www.ascencios.com

Best,
    kev

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know the feeling about mindless praise. I get it all the time off my familly, (To the point where my familly puts me down because they think I'm ever so good that I'm wasting my tallent living where I am, there's hardly any artistic opportunities in my town) But they don't understand how competitive this market really is.

I find it hard to critique work when it's heavilly styled, because style lets you bend the rules in almost any way possible. The only thing I can possibly think of is composition. I feel you centralize your subjects too much. Also, remember the eye works off angles. Trying using them to lead the viewers attention inward rather than outward towards the edge of the page (Best example for this would be your second last one.)

Beautiful style though, I've always been a victim for macabre-like subjects.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.