Art: My Photo's... looking back at 2007
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: My Photo's... looking back at 2007

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Photo's... looking back at 2007

Hello everyone! I have been a long time lurker and today decided to post some of my creations from the past year. I have admired the wealth of creativity and knowledge here, and felt that this was a perfect forum to ask for critiques and comments. 2007 has been quiet busy for me. Busy meaning I built maybe one or two images a month. While this doesn't sound like much. It is alot for me. I have a work habit of sketching and tinkering and pondering and laying dormant for long periods, then going nuts and getting very intense for a brief period and working straight through till dawn.

Long story short, I am looking back at my images and going dormant again, pondering through winter where I need to go next. So I am asking for honest critiques and comments so I can learn and move forward. I am not so interested in technique as I am in ideas and thoughts, but I welcome any and all comments. New insights... fresh eyes.

(Please let loose. I can take it. I am a graphics designer by trade. Nothing shocks me. The second these images came out. They are no longer me. )

Thank you!

Sumrow

PS: The Juggler has extensive photoshop work. The others are done with studio lighting. Mainly small radio controlled strobes. All have a bit of cleaning / color correction.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, i dont get why no one replied to this already.
    These are all flippin cool! I love all the concepts. Where'd you get these ideas from?!
    Umm, also, you are very lucky to get studio work time, that stuff costs!

I think all the comments/crits i can give have to do with the span of your work. These are all small concepts (not bad at all), but as you grow older into the photography/graphic area, the magnitude(and price!) of your work should head towards the bigger in order to acheive *greatness!*

And this is personal preference, but when I say bigger, i mean more people shots (portraits, people sculptures, etc.), arranging concepts at public places, bringing in models, objects/props.. etc.

The other way to go is not so bad either.. I personally dont find it too exciting but other people find the simple and "back-to-the-roots" methods to be the most captivating and stimulating. Back to nature shots, macro's, wildlife, etc..

You take your pick, or keep going the way you are. At any rate, go where you are motivated and challenged the most. Again personally, models and people arrangement terrify and challenge me the most.. so i am working on getting in there.

Claude

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks claude!

I appreciate your time and comments. You bring up a good point. I seriously need to get busy and work up some of my other ideas with models. I have some a Medusa idea that I have been kicking around for far too long. Need to make it real.

In terms of studio time... umm, I use my living room. ; )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice pics

what did you do to get the background effect in the robot stomping pic?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Long exposure...

Thanks Grumbledook!

I had my Canon G9 on a tripod and used strobes, one left and one right, to get the robot lit. The purple and green come from colored gels over the lights. But I also had the exposure dialed down to ten seconds. The room was perfectly dark so as to not overexpose. The ten seconds gave me plenty of time to paint the streaks in with a small flashlight. Because the robot and the camera are perfectly still... you can paint however you want. It took several tries to get the one I liked. But that is just the nature of the beast with lightpainting. I highly recommend it. Dirt simple. But great results. : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice lighting. I really like the first one with the skull.

Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool, I like the quirky streak

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks!

Thanks for all the encouragement!

purplerose... I sure will! : )

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.