Animation Portfolio Workshop in Toronto
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Animation Portfolio Workshop in Toronto

I was wondering if anyone in the Toronto area has heard anything about this program before:

http://www.portfolioworkshop.com/

I found out about it last week and just wanted to see if anyone could offer any comments on it. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Animation Portfolio Workshop

Hi Gwun.

I run the Animation Portfolio Workshop, along with Vincent Peets.

If you look back through the threads on this site to the thread " Sheridan Information Please" (#1114), you'll find an answer to your question from a user named "G Strat".......it goes like this:

"For anyone who has had trouble getting into animation, I have the answer. The animation portfolio workshop in Toronto. It got me in and once you talk to the instructors you'll see why. They used to teach at Sheridan but left to start this alternative to art Fundies. If you know for sure that you want to get into animation at any school, they can help you. It's only six hours of class a week as well as the absolute maximum amount of life drawing sessions you can get yourself into. They don't do the work for you but they guide you and critique your portfolio until it is as good as possible. Let me put it this way: I got acceptance letters from every school I applied to and I believe the main reasons were hard work and the guidance that workshop gave me."

I still don't know which one of our students G Strat was, but the opinion expressed in that comment about the Workshop is a fairly common one among our students.

Please feel free to stop in and visit us, especially at this time of year, when our students are busy putting together their portfolio's after many months of hard work.

See:

http://apwlifedrawing.blogspot.com/

for a glimpse into our week to week activity, or drop me a line at:

gerard@portfolioworkshop.com

and we'll be glad to meet you at the class.
    We always encourage curious students to drop in with whatever portfolio pieces they have to get some personal feedback about their portfolio's and to compare their work with what our Workshop students are doing.

It always proves to be very helpful.

Cheers!!

Gerard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sneak peek of APW student portfolio work

Knowing full well that most of you viewing this thread are in the throws of sweating it out over your entry portfolios to get into the college programs of your choice, I've attached some images of student portfolio work from our Animation Portfolio Workshop classes to inspire you onto ever greater heights of achievement!

Some of the images are roughs and some are on there way to the portfolio finish line.

Enjoy!!

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Gerard Sternik; January 12th, 2008 at 07:01 PM. Reason: images too small

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's several more animation portfolio images.
    These quick gestural structure drawings are typical examples of what our students in the Animation Portfolio Workshop will submit as optional drawings when they apply for animation programs like Sheridan's Bachelor of Animation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My name is Vince Peets and I teach Drawing For Animation with the Animation Portfolio Workshop with Gerard Sternik. I thought I'd post some examples of our student's drawings from my class. The examples you'll see here are taken from portfolios of students who are in the process right now (as you may know, portfolio submission due dates for Seneca and Sheridan and other animation courses are fast approaching) of assembling their final portfolios.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A familiar scene this time of year

Well, for all of you applying to the Sheridan Animation Program, you know that the portfolio's are due over the next few days.

Here's a few more inspirational portfolio pics, and a picture of our students sweating it out at the last class , putting the finishing touches on their portfolio's

Good luck!

Gerard Sternik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More recent work

Here are several other examples of work by another of our students, submitted at the end of February in an application portfolio for the 2008 / 2009 Sheridan Animation program.

Enjoy!

Gerard Sternik / Director

http://www.portfolioworkshop.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do I get the same thing out of doing the animation portfolio workshop as I get from doing a foundation or art fundamentals program, or one of those abridged make a portfolio in a week or month kind of courses.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenagain View Post
    Do I get the same thing out of doing the animation portfolio workshop as I get from doing a foundation or art fundamentals program, or one of those abridged make a portfolio in a week or month kind of courses.

Thanks
    Hi fallenagain..I'm sorry it took me a bit of time to get back to you...we're quite busy organizing portfolios and making preparations for the upcoming Workshop at this time of year.

Thanks for your question.

Since the amount of info required to answer these questions is considerable, what I will do is break it up into two posts, so that you do not have to read a huge amount of text in one sitting.

First of all...the short answer to your question about whether a student "gets the same thing" out of doing the Animation Portfolio Workshop as doing a college level foundation year or art fundamental's program, is no.....they don't....and here's why.

The mandate or purpose of a general program like an art fundamental's program is essentially to offer the student training that will give a "general art background" upon completion.
    If you take the art fundamental's program at Sheridan as an example, they define a general art background as having experience in painting, drawing, two and three dimensional design, and imaging systems.
    All of these classes are done simultaneously in the same academic year.
    So when a student is done with this year, they've had a good taste of each of these subject areas.

Now, in the Animation Portfolio Workshop, over the last nine years, we've become very good at understanding the differences between our program and a general visual literacy program like the one at Sheridan, quite simply because we've taught so many students after they've graduated from these programs or concurrently, while they are in the art fundamental's program.

The main difference is the focused nature of our course content and the amount of time that a student will devote to this content.

We really zero in on training our students in observational drawing skills and portfolio development that relates to the requirements of specific animation programs.

If a student is interested in attending the Sheridan animation program, we dissect the entry portfolio for that school, and train the student rigorously in drawing skills and portfolio pieces that are required for that school .

If a student wants Seneca animation , or Algonquin etc, we zero in on that animation school's requirements and tackle only that portfolio.

Whatever school the student is interested in attending, we focus all of our attention on making the portfolio to achieve that goal.
    It's like a magnifying glass, focusing the entire energy source on one point to obtain maximum effect.

The question we also always get asked is if.."I'm taking drawing class in a general visual literacy course, isn't it the same thing as what you do in the workshop"...and again the answer is no.

If you look at the kind of drawing required for an animation portfolio for a school like Sheridan, you'll notice that the drawings are of a high calibre and also express a number of drawing concepts that aren't unique in and of themselves, but when combined in a certain way, really depict a distinctive characteristic common to many of the animation school portfolios.

So what we have done in the Animation Portfolio Workshop, is to address this by training the student in a very specific combination of drawing exercises and practices, presented in a carefully planned order to achieve the balance of drawing skills that one see's reflected in a successful animation school entry level portfolio.
    The result is not the same as having a general training in drawing.
    Although this doesn't hurt to have coming into the workshop, the kind of training that our students get in order to achieve their goal is much deeper, and focused on specific combinations of certain drawing principles.

Also......many animation school portfolios tend to be similar in nature.

We know this, because , (although it might sound crazy to some of you who have just come out of the 8 month grind of producing one portfolio for a school like Sheridan) we have had students prepare upwards of 5 animation school portfolio's for different schools....And yes, the chap who did 5 got accepted into all of them: Sheridan, Seneca, Algonquin, Capilano and Vancouver Film School.
    We still haven't figured out why he was so hell bent on applying to all of them...

Obviously not all schools want exactly the same thing, but quite a few share common similarities.

Whew....that was a lot of writing!!

Well that's a start anyway.

I'll post part two of this to address your question about whether there is a similarity between what we do and the shorter abridged type of portfolio development courses out there.

Stay tuned.... draw,draw,draw!!

Gerard Sternik / Director

Visit:http://www.portfolioworkshop.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for getting back to me Gerard, the information you've provided has been really helpful, and I look forward to getting the rest of your reply!

Members who have read this thread: 1