Sketchbook: Lalo's Sketchbook [Come in please...I insist] - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Do you think I could get a good scholarship from SCAD?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course

0 0%
  • Good chances

4 22.22%
  • Still need some work

11 61.11%
  • Long way to go

1 5.56%
  • no

2 11.11%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lalo's Sketchbook [Come in please...I insist]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was looking through you sketchbook again and something that could help you "unstiffen" you drawings is to do quick 1 or 2 minute gesture drawings. Since by the the things that you posted lately are full of detail you seem like a rather neat person so try to loosen up with gesture drawings and fast sketches. You can also try to exaggerate the actions that you characters do even though it might look unnatural. It could help you find the right balance.

Want to help a "artist" in need, visit my sketchbook

My Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey lalo I just checked all of your threads on conceptart as suggested..i think some more anatomy studies would definetly do you good you can also use anatomy ref when you are drawinn from mind that helps a lot..also nice touch to the man with the black armor and helmet in the hands it looks real good..keep postin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate it when I lose track of a good sketchbook.

You are really producing some great stuff. As such, no crits right now, just two requests: Finish the latest drawing, and give us some stuff from life. If you are willing to grant either one of those I would be a happy camper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lacadam: yeah, as a matter of fact, i'm taking figure drawing classes, and from february's last week, there will be real models to work with. I know about the gesture drawings, but i want to work on my clases before starting any piece with any diferent technique; so, at least this once, i get things right from the beginning.

smid: certainly i need to stop drawing from mind and take some time to use references, it's just that i strongly believe that i should force myself to draw from mind, building knowledge, other than depending on references; nonetheless, there are like two or three drawings on this sketchbook made from references.

sedig: Jajaja, yeah, i know it seems like i never finish any of the stuff i post, but rest assured it's not the case, i just want to keep everything together and post everything in its finished state; for much of these works (mostly the latest two or three) will make part of the portfolio i plan to use to apply for scholarships. Take my word, if i'm still breathing and moving, i'll finish!
    Thanks for the compliments.

_lalovergel_
    I consider it a challenge before the whole human race, and I ain't gonna lose.
    Welcome!(Sketchbook)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115243

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ink

as an excuse to post something, here are three illustrations made for my illusrration1 class, last semester. Subject matter was abuse (child, spousal, elderly). Technical pens and dipping pens. Some stipling as well. As well as a perspective drawing of a package.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    _lalovergel_
    Welcome!(Sketchbook)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your drawings are static and naked, a sign of drawing infancy. i suggest if you want to look like a professional worth spending a scholorship on, you should start alternating between drawing from life and drawing from your head (or action figures?). draw feverishly, you'll get it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how your post of February 4th, the character has a very nice expression and a good rendering. Cool stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lazy

Ok, i have been a little lazy this past week, not much progress made; nontheless, i'm still alive and drawing. Here, a little update on that piece, with some pictures of the concepts i made for then helmet before starting the piece, and a blurry photo of the piece with the guy and the girl. Finished.

As something new, i'm planning to start some activities here at CA. I spend half of my free time drawing, the other half writing. I want to start posting some poems and short stories, and get people to submit illustrations, in the manner of a contest, depicting a part, or the story as a whole. I want to know what you think about it, i think it's interesting.

_lalovergel_
    Welcome!(Sketchbook)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the piece for your illustration class with the "elderly" theme. It has quite a mood to it. What does the sign say? I can't read it on my computer screen. Also, that helmet piece is becming very impressive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Swordmaster: Certainly I need to improve the sense of movement my pieces convey (right now somewhere around zero)...I've just started taking figure drawing clases, and we are doing hell lot of gestures and stuff. I'll make sure I post them when i have enough to show.

Carbono: Thanks, you have been the one person that has kept track of my sketchbook from the beginning. I'm putting a lot more thought than effort to that piece, reason why it's coming so slowly.

Sedig: Yeah, my classmates thought it was hilarious to have the nurses as vultures...The sign reads: "Love and Peace -nursing home-" 'bringing peace and love to those who worked all of their lives to raise us'
    the truth about that piece is that i had the concept planned, but was close to the deadline so i had to do it quickly, r why is missing real shading and stuff. Nonetheless it came out alright and the message got across.

_lalovergel_
    Welcome!(Sketchbook)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your attention to detail is awesome, and your studies are great. Keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The knight with the helmet is coming out pretty nice.
    At each new update, it gets more and more amazing!

Really cool stuff man!
    Hope to see it finished soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

big

ok, here's kind of a big update. First i need to make a correction, for i think i said the big drawings posted here were 15x20, but they are actually 18x24; not a big deal, but veracity counts.

first, an update on the guy with the helmet, close to completion, i just need to finish the black frame, make the back ground a smooth gradation from that black to white at about half of the piece, and tighten up the skin of the character. The other are excercises from my drawing1 class (last semester), boxes to study perspective and value. the skeletons are excercises for my figure drawing class, one line, one value. All these excercises are 45minutes.
    Last, a self-portrait i'm working on for my figure drawing class, incorporating a background. Still in rough state, but coming along.

For Arteater and Carbono, thanks for the compliments. Please keep visiting.

_lalovergel_
    Welcome!(Sketchbook)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your repley. your skills seem to evolve really well and you do a decent amount of studies to achieve that. great work so far. your big knight drawing is very well shaded but one thing looks a bit confusing to me. the character definitely looks like a minimalist anime figure but all your great details for the armor and shading shout: hey im NOT a comic illustration .
    nevertheless great work
    keep it up
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The armor/helmet piece is still coming along nicely, but my favorite so far is the self portrait. It definitely looks like a real person to me. I can't wait to see it finished.

One crit: unless it is because it is at the top of the scan, the skull in the "value" sketeton looks a little wonky. The line skull seems fine to me, but I think the value one got a little flattened out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This new update is looking pretty good.
    The knight gets better and better, and i really like the skeleton. I agree with Sedig, the 'skull' looks somewhat strange, but everything else looks pretty good, the rendering is great too!

The portrait on the bottom is very nice too man!

Great amount of art and great quality, as always!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Buenas! Gracias por el comentario, la verdad es que se agradece.

Veo que tú tiras del rollo medieval y eso. A mí dejó de llamarme tras leer el señor de los anillos, curioso, pero sigue siendo una inspiración para servidor.

Respecto al cura del sermón sigo pensando en que mis venas a lo Monty Python hacen que me lo pase pipa, esos comentarios tan absurdos que salen sin pensar... sí...

Un saludo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more

ok, here, another update. The knight with the helmet practically finished, my self-portrait assignment, some quick sketches i did in class and some practice on heads. One of the exercises on heads ended on a quick sketch of ryu from street fighter.

piecemaker: Yeah, right now i'm trying to get to a point where i can render detailed illustrations keeping, without being too realistic, like a detailed yet simplified style (if that makes sense), and on my way i find myself doing that kind of work where somethings seem really realistically oriented, while other components are closer to my own style. I hope to find a balance soon. Thanks for your post.

Sedig: here it is, my self-portrait as i presented it in class. I just wish i had a better camera to show more resolution. And i have to make another self-portrait for monday morning. Thanks. Oh, and the skull is actually kinda flat, i'll fix that, thanks!

Carbono: As always, thanks for taking the time to visit my sketchbook. Here is my last update on the helmet drawing and some studies. I will check your last posts, i've been gone for a while.

Zarquino: Si, fantasia en escenarios medievales es mi tema favorito, mas que todo porque estoy en proceso de escribir mi propio libro y deseo ilustrarlo por mi cuenta. Gracias por pasarte!

_lalovergel_
    Welcome!(Sketchbook)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW. That was a big update. Good thing I'm on a library computer. I think mine would have exploded. Lots of nice stuff in there. I'd really like to see a picture of the full self portrait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are far better than i was when i applied for college, but good luck even though you probably dont need it :-D
    Your characters are very long and skinny. Alot of asian influence, i don't know, but you should try sharpening them up with some loomis or bridgeman studies.
    keep up the good shit tho

Do not, ever, under any circumstances, not have fun.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As something new, i'm planning to start some activities here at CA. I spend half of my free time drawing, the other half writing. I want to start posting some poems and short stories, and get people to submit illustrations, in the manner of a contest, depicting a part, or the story as a whole. I want to know what you think about it, i think it's interesting.
    I think this is a very good idea. I would certainly be interested. Despite my random periods of AWOLness. >.>

I love your development on the armor of the warrior. I like the shading ona technique. No real helpful criticism there from me, but keep up the good work!

I'll try to pop in again sometime.

--Taven

Constructive Criticism welcomed at My Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great update man!
    The knight with the helmet really turned out to be an amazing piece, really pro-stuff, i can already see you using it on your portfolio!

The other pieces ended up very cool too, i love the Ryu's face, and your self portrait.
    Nothing really to crit, i can already see that you're on the right track, just keep studying!

Keep it up man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sedig: thanks man, well i'm trying to get a more decent camera for the weekend so i might post full pictures of all this stuff and another self-portrait i just finished.

Jdeegz: Well, actually i can use as much of everything (even luck) as i can get. Yeah, my characters are very much all based on a standard (tetsuya nomura is a big influence for me, but i don't really like anime) i am working on diversifying right now. Thanks for visiting.

Taven: I THOUGHT NOBODY PAID ATTENTION TO THAT! well it's nice to see someone actually likes the idea, if i get some more motivation i will start as soon as next week. Thanks for coming back!

Carbono: yeah, after some polishing this is going straight to the portfolio. Thanks for the compliments and although i know it's no pro stuff, the fact you said it motivates me. Thanks as always!

_lalovergel_
    Welcome!(Sketchbook)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a

well, just to post something, i have some old drawings taken with a more decent camera that can actually get them full size. Some are old, some are new. Three self-portraits (one front, one perspective and one profile)

There is a lot of glare from the reflection of my lights on the graphite, but i'm too sleepy to take pictures again, the full size picture of the warrior and the helmet had too much, so i omited it for now. Peace.

Last edited by lalovergel; July 3rd, 2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: some pictures don't belong here
    _lalovergel_
    Welcome!(Sketchbook)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are nice. They show that you are definitely willign to buckle down and do work. Colleges like that.

Be careful on your proportions--make sure that they are right before you go into the full render.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the warrior with the helmet: wow, what a detailed work, good job!

I like your self portraits too (especially the profil), but I think the one in front view could use a really small additional work. some traces of eyelids would create more defined eyes, adding some more depth to them... the left (right in the picture) eye is a bit lower as it should be.
    they're small things, don't really harm the portrait, and anyway, take my crit with a grain of salt, I'm only a beginner, but I think and really hope most of my crits aren't without reason. I hope you won't find me too nitpicking...

I like your concept with the vulture-nurse and the bird itself

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When seeing the many photos, of parts of your work, I can't help thinking Photoshop>Automate>Photomerge =)
    Keep working - you are definitely showing progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back.

Hello everyone. I have been out of conceptart.org for over a year I think, and I think it would be good to come back and post some more stuff.

_lalovergel_
    Welcome!(Sketchbook)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

quick post

something before going to work.

Last edited by lalovergel; July 3rd, 2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: rezised pic
    _lalovergel_
    Welcome!(Sketchbook)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your rendering is very very impressive, but I think the structure could be pushed more. Try taking yourself out of your comfort zone and do only line stuff for a bit or something to nail some structure. I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong, but I guess drawing figures from photos can never hurt. Keep it up

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.