IDW #55: Cutlery - Voting

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trashy

24 45.28%
  • Jim Hatama

2 3.77%
  • PutridusCor

1 1.89%
  • Nutkin

0 0%
  • jorge f. muñoz

1 1.89%
  • Orion9282

17 32.08%
  • :::rain:::

4 7.55%
  • kMh

4 7.55%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #55: Cutlery - Voting

IDW #55 Topic: Cutlery

Deadline for voting: Sunday, Januari 13

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #55: Cutlery

Last edited by yoitisi; January 13th, 2008 at 11:04 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist: Trashy

The Necronomicon Cutlery

Forged from hellfire and the undead, the "Necronomicon Cutlery" can only be suggested to delusional cult leaders or complete nut cases interested in meeting you know who. It is not a comfy set nor is it meant to be. The Necronomicon Cutlery is very distinct for having real flesh and bones attached to each set and spewing tentacles on each bottom tip. The cutlery is in fact best described as a living breathing cutlery.

...did we forget to mention it sucks your life-force by latching onto your hands thus making you into a zombie as well. Oh well, your pain is our gain.
    The blade really does cut like a son of a gun though.

Artist: Jim Hatama

Laser fork for better food penetration! (lasers go offline when close to humans but broken ones and illegal ones can be used as a weapon) Spoon is like a free gift though, just ordinary an spoon but with a circle in it.

Artist: PutridusCor

Artist: Nutkin

Artist: jorge f. muñoz

Artist: Orion9282

"Wanting to be human, the young robot built cutlery."

Artist: :::rain:::

Floating cutlery, carved from Forest crystal and Black Thesium. Used only by the Dark Prince.

Artist: kMh

Collectable cutlery made from Alexandrite and silver.

Last edited by yoitisi; January 6th, 2008 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couple of notes as usual:

First off, once again I think the level of quality is getting better. Big cheers for that, I hope we can keep that going in future rounds.

Ninjamuffin: WIP.

Jim Hatama: Would've been nice if you'd done something with the last suggestion as well, but as I said, it was much better than the first attempt so you made it to poll.

PutridusCor: After seeing your final, I realised I should've made clearer that I wanted you to do one set or range, not six. The overall quality of each set though was good, so I decided to take it to poll. It might be a bit hard to compare it to the others as they have just the one set.

That's it for now I guess, on to the next round

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trashy - u got it, i love the design.. very very well painted and well just great work..

ill c if i have time to comment on the others
    great stuff everyone

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trashy: Your overall design is quite amazing. The detail in this is great and just the idea itself is very cool, you have a big imagination. I do love the flesh colors you used but, if I had to pick one thing to maybe improve on it would be more highlights on the handle and tentacle areas. Since they are made of flesh and the handle areas seem to be made from red meat I would think it would have more of a gloss to it. But it’s just a thought. You have my vote, good job.

Jim Hatama: As I told you before I love your laser knife, it’s a great concept and well executed. I just wish you would have changed the fork and spoon more to fit with the knife so it looked more like a set.

PutridusCor: wow, you really went all out and made many different sets. They all look pretty good but set (a) is extremely nice. I would have liked to see you expand upon that set and really render it with detail.

Nutkin: That’s some luxurious plastic silverware you have. I like the design and detail on the base of the handles. The shadowing of the spoon seems off to me though. Overall good work.

jorge f. muñoz: seems like a very interesting design and I like the colors you used. My main suggestion would be to make your cutlery your focal point in this. Your forest ghost and titles are just as big as your cutlery and really don’t bring them into main focus. Also on a very much smaller note your handle on the knife is much smaller than the spoon and fork and the blade seems to extend all the way down, I could see myself getting cut quite often.

Orion9282: very neat concept. And your attention to detail is very nice. My only suggestion would be to texture it a bit more possibly. It has a kind of flat feel to it.

:::rain::: I like your concept as well and I really like the glass. The vines you have on everything add a very nice touch to it all. My only suggestion would be to work on the glow effect some, it seems a little bit to blurred possibly?

Kenny
    "The greatest obstacle to discovery isn't ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    !!!!!!!!!!
    kMh:: I should have done exactly that!
    yoitisi: you are totally right, I should've asked before I'm sorry, I don't even have an excuse. Thanks for taking it to the poll
    *** Lesson learned ***

Voted for Kmh, the most elegant, most beautiful and best rendered

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found it very hard to vote because all the ideas are so different and everyone executed their style really well:

Trashy: So creepy ...yet so cool. I agree with kMh, those little tenticle critters perhaps need a little more shine. But great job with the texture of the metal bits. You got my vote.

Jim Hatama I think the set would have looked more unified if you had maybe placed that swirly pattern you have on the knife on the fork and spoon. But other wise the idea is genius!

PutridusCor So may ideas! My favourites are (a) and (c). In set (a) something was bugging me about the cup, I've just realised its the circle shape of the rim. With the amount of detail you had, I would have loved to see it blown up bigger.

Nutkin I noticed the bottom of the handles are different thicknesses .e.g the fork and knife. Was that intentional? other wise nice design on the handles, especially like the little logo.

jorge f. muñoz Like your style and the idea of the little carrying box. Maybe a little more shine and shadow would have pushed their form.

Orion9282 Love this idea. You were a very close second. The knife was my favourite with the little cables and wiring. The handle on the spoon though (the metal part) does seem a little flat.

KMh: I think maybe the set is a little too delicate / refined for the textured rough bits....but thats just being fussy. REALLY great job with your crystal and thankx for the review. You were right about the glow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for the nice comments and crits. I think this was a great round and I really did have a lot of fun with it.

Okay some observations here. I think I might be able to cover everyone this time.

Jim Hatama- That laser blade is simply killer and I had to chime on this also. Rendering wise it is pretty solid but design wise It does need working on it. The problem is that blade simply overpowers everything else in the piece. It has all these nice intricate swirls on it and you could of maybe put some of patterns in the fork and spoon.

PutridusCor-Woah...you did do alot of sets and I have to give you props for that. There is some pretty nice concepts, but I think you did have to do one set. I personally like the ones with the chains hanging off them. Just make sure to narrow down your ideas next time to make a more solid illustration. All these pieces could use some refining and cleaning up.

Nutkin-Solid illustration! I personally think it looks great. Maybe the design might come off as sorta regular to others but I see what you were going for. Um, I'm not sure about that type though. The whole color scheme throws me off completely. You got these greens meshing with those purples on the bottom and it just doesn't work. You might want to make it go more with the actual piece. Maybe that solid white needs to be replaced by the nice texture you have on the bottom. You just need to play more with it. It just sorta distracts from a rather nice piece. Hope I'm not sounding too nit picky...haha...I'm probably am...sorry about that...

still good going on the piece!

jorge f. muñoz- Good style man! KMh pretty much covered it. change that blade or that thief will have a very bloody hand and make the set more the focus. I think you can loose the box. I would keep that figure though, just again make it less the focus. I looked at that before I looked at the set.

Orion9282- Man, I love this piece. Very creative and fun work. I really like all the little pieces attached to each one and all the nice little details. I'm not sure about the flatness bit that was mentioned. it's interesting because it looks like you use a lot of gradients or heavy airbrushes to do your work. I really like it for the most part. Small parts like the reflections in the lightbulb on the spoon could be better, but just small things really. You got my vote.

:::rain:::- I like the idea of it a lot. You got nice shapes surrounding the pieces but I feel a lot of it gets lost due to the black background. You could maybe use some more highlights to make the cutlery itself stand out more.

kMh- Another pretty solid overall render. I especially like all the gem shapes put into each piece. One suggestion maybe, actual gems when cast in light tend to have more reflections on them. Maybe just some sparkles would make it jump a little more.

ME I like the suggestion on the bottom bits. Those do need more work on them and I agree. Hmmm...could maybe use more reflective light in the spoon.

Last edited by Trashy; January 6th, 2008 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was a tough one! I was torn between Trashy and Orion9282... but I eventually went with Orion because of the little steampunk esque details...

Some general crits:

Trashy: The textures you have going on are amazing, goes great with the theme. The color pallete and accents on the bottom of the handle was very Necro-decay... great stuff!

Jim: Great idea and I loved the sparkle and shine you caught on the blades, I only wish you did more interaction with the food cause thats where it really shined! Loved the color pallete too!

PutridusCor: Lots of variety! Especially loved the ones on the bottom row. The lightning esque gems on the lower right were tight too! I would suggest though using a lighter background on some since a couple pieces faded into the background.

Nutkin: Great use of the ad and adding of demographic... plus the rendering of plastic was solid! Just needs a bit more depth/range of dark to light. Great work though!

Munoz: On the contrary to some above, I liked the box! Amazing style too, went well with the color pallete. I also like that you showed the person who would be using the cutlery. Great detail touches!

Orion: I'm a sucker for anything steampunk-esque and I loved this! The details in the wires and lightbulbs, everything was great. Good metallics, variance of materials and each piece looked like it was built out of things we would see in a tinkerer's shop or that a robot would use. The tuning fork fork was a wonderful touch!

rain: ditto to what Trashy said, needs more pop on the pieces, either cut the set down and zoom in or up the contrast... it was a very strong render and a well done hand, solid vignette. Just needed that extra kick of light to make things read better.

kMh: Easily the most striking to me. Bright, shiny, and great use of very rich blue. I have to agree with Trashy though, if they're gems they should sparkle and reflect light back. Maybe show a bit more depth as well. But definitely one of my favorites from this round!

Overall I gotta say yotisi's right, I come back and vote almost every week I can and the quality is definitely improving! If I wasn't drowning work from my own I.D. classes, I'd love to get in on this. I know it'd help me improve. Keep it up, you all are great inspiration!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much Trashy and Leadster618 for your crits and advise. It was my first time ever doing a gem/crystal so I was kind of winging it and using this image here as a reference. I made maybe about 7 brushes to replicate the crystal effect and then used the reference for color (The color is off in my image now because I felt like it looks better with a higher contrast when I finished up) and then added a white highlight over to get the effect that was in the picture, though my highlights could have been a bit stronger.

Anyways, I will try out your suggestion with some added sparkle the next time I attempt to do gems again, thank you again.

Kenny
    "The greatest obstacle to discovery isn't ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks all!

Thanks all for your kind words, critiques, and votes! Indeed, I was going for the steampunk theme and had a fun time tracking down real-world items for inspiration. I'm hoping to participate much more in the weekly competitions, so this was very encouraging!

Great work by everyone! Personally, I think I've learned a lot from each entry.

Thanks again!

PS - I'm sorry if I'm late on replies, I don't have as much time to be on the boards as I used to a while back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this was a great challenge. I thought about doing it at least a dozen times. voted KmH .....Im a sucker for anytihng shiny
    keep up the good works folks

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, hell of a topic Yoitisi. Really annoyed I missed this one, especially since it's right up my ID alley, but I was out of town for the holidays and just got back tonight. Hopefully we'll see more topics like this though.

As far as the entries go, there were some really great ones this time around. Trashy got my vote, but it was a tough choice. I'll crit each entry, even though I didn't participate this round...

Trashy: Beautiful design and render. As for the subject matter... Anything Cthulhu-related automatically gets my vote. Mainly out of fear, really. On the technical side, your palette is excellent and very appropriate, and your attention to detail gets a tentacle's up as well. My only real issue is that the render is missing a bit of depth. Some parts worse than others, but I think it applies as a whole as well. I particularly feel it on the squid-end of the knife. I think if you pushed the shadows and highlights inward a bit, you'd get a more volumetric feel. That's that on that though. Good work!

Jim Hatama: Glad to see you back for more! I think you did a good job on the renders from a technical side, and I particularly like the knife. However, while you did revise things a bit to bring a more unified feel, I still think you feel short of that. The lasers on the fork feel forced, and the spoon feels like a cop-out. I think perhaps if you had made the focus on the set something else, and let the laser part of the knife just be a technical note, you would have done better. When you present the laser as the main design component and it only appears on one utensil (I'm not counting the fork), it just doesn't work. Beautiful job on the painting though. You definitely have an amazing sense of color, which I saw from your tank as well. Keep it up!

PutridusCor: I can appreciate the work you put into creating all the different sets, but I think it was also your downfall. As I'm sure others might have said already, I would have suggested you follow one direction and perfect it. From the sets, for me (b) and (e) are my favorites and (a) also had objective potential. I look forward to seeing what you can do next round, if you put all your time into one concept.

Nutkin: Huge improvement. I think the simplicity of the objects kept you from going too crazy with your design, which I think is good. The renders are great and show the material nicely. And I also think it's your best presentation so far. The main problem for me is that I know the concept of plastic cutlery emulating sterling design has been done quite a bit in the past. That's not to say you were copying the idea of course, but it's the sort of thing where doing some research before-hand to see what's out there can help make sure you don't end up unknowingly emulating other designs. On the technical side, I think my only complain is that you were missing a few pure white specular highlights on the main parts of the cutlery (as opposed to the handles, which had them). Good work overall though.

jorge f. muñoz: Definitely a much stronger entry than your tank! I like the concept and the comicbook style works just fine as far as I'm concerned. On the design, I think a bit more thought was needed on how to carry over the handle into the knife to maintain continuity. There's not quite enough grip on the underside to hold the knife without risking cutting yourself, and even if you're meant to hold it from the sides... accidents happen. On the technical side, I think the black butts of the handles needed a slightly lighter shade so that they don't look flat compared to the rest of the shading. And on the presentation, I would have suggested showing the box open with the cutlery inside it, perhaps at an angle to break up the line-up, and also detailing the box that the figure's holding so that we know it's the same one. That's all I can see... Keep it up!

Orion9282: Great concept and very nice work on translating it into the design. Main problem for me is your rendering style. I know where you're coming from though, because I've been there myself and I remember what my technique looked like years back. It's something I find myself still doing from time to time. My suggestion for you would be to start working on each design as a whole, at the same time, instead of component by component. Ditch the million layers you've been using and try painting on one layer directly. Loosen up your lines a bit perhaps... Very few things in reality are perfectly straight, and sometimes a slight imperfection is what ends up making something look realistic. May give Painter a shot instead of photoshop, just to loosen up a bit and fall away from your crutches. I'm sorry of I'm being aggressive in my suggestions, but again it's because I can tell you're exactly where I once was as far as technique goes and I remember how hard it was for me to break out of those habits. If you have any questions, you're welcome to send me a PM and I'll try to help. Beyond all this, great job.

rain: Not as strong of an entry this time, but I like it. I think the main problem they feel a bit too wispy to be made out of crystal. I think the salad form (if that's what's next to the goblet) feels the most solid of the lot, but overall they could have used a bit more definition and perhaps a touch less glow. The hand is a nice touch bit this time I think it took away valuable time that you should have instead placed on painting the cutlery. Nice entry overall though.

kMh: The concept is nice and the design unique. The execution suffers a bit though. My suggestions... Read what I said above to Orion, as it applies to you as well. Try to ditch the layers and work on one directly. It's harder and takes more patience, but the result is always infinitely better. In your case the problem with layers is even more apparent due to the aliasing that you got around each piece, offset by the PS dropshadow. If you really need to stick to layers, at least always go back and make sure your edges are clean because you apply a dropshadow or glow. On the facets... I would say next time don't bother with losing time on brushes. Just pull up a reference photo and use it visually side by side, and instead pain directly where you want the facets. If you have time to spare, I always suggest studying how something is made instead of how it looks in the end. It'll give you a much stronger result in the end.

Good work all! See you next round.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys, Community Activities is my classroom! I'm very thankful for your comments, I'm learning a lot!
    (*A drammatic music begins) There is a long way ahead of me, hours, sweat, ink, blood and tears will be shed in my long journey to the 'final' goal! Thank you people! for your support and advice! (*drammatic music ends)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    form2function: Thank you greatly for the advice, I very much appreciated it. I did use a extremely small glow for the crystals and just simply forgot to take it off the edge of the knife . . . as for the shadow it was just a quick block in with a black brush set to hard light. I was running out of time so I was slightly rushing at the end.

I understand what you are saying about using 1 layer. I have tried a few times before but, I still make tons of mistakes and change my mind a lot and it’s hard for me to fix them and it basically scares me that I might have ruined something I put so much time into. However I do still try every once in awhile because that is eventually my goal.

thank you again.

Kenny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankx! to kMh, Trashy, Leadster618, and form2function I really appreciate the critiques and encouragement! Learned so much! See you all in the next challenge

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was torn between Trashy and Orion9282.

was going to say Trashy's would be hell to wash up, then read the description

In the end Orion's description at the bottom got me, I want to see a pic of that little robot slaving away to build his cutlery!!!-bless his little robotty heart circuits!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trashy

Lovely artwork - and a great, simple background. As far as the design goes, its more like anti-design. handles that cause pain, inability to be mass produced (i jest of course) and a bitch to wash up! That, said, it is remarkably true to the fuctions you laid out. Artwise, think the flesh texture could do with a bit more moisture. Great job

Jim Hatama

As everyone has said, great knife design. I don't know how it would create a floating, shaped beam, but it looks stunning. For me, the fork and spoon come across as clumsy; the circle reference looks forced and the sideways curving handle would not be comfortable to eat with. Back to the knife - almost the best image in the competition for me - and probably pretty good for making and buttering a piece of toast in one stroke.

PutridusCor
    I'm going to crit set B, because i think its the best. Cutlery is one of the oldest tool groups in existence, and i think that history has pretty much drilled out the best form for them. Good consistency in the design language, usable, storable, washable, good job. I feel you should have gone with one set sooner in your process so that the artwork could have been more detailed. The metallic finish is not particularly convincing. But for designing a rational set of cutlery, you got my second place.

Nutkin
    i will divulge this shortly

jorge f. muñoz
    Cool style, cool layout, cool character; i like the presentation as its clear and it connects me with the mood of the setting. I don't think that the cutlery would fit the tin particularly well though (but i do think its a great addition) The cutlery looks rugged and comfortable (except the knife), but it doesn't look too effective - tiny spoon, 2 pronged fork?

anyway, love the style - and i'm looking forward to seeing next weeks...

Orion9282
    Beautiful painting, interesting concept, dull presentation. As it is for a robot, I love the clumsy, cobbled together pieces with wire ends poking out - as mentioned already, it looks a little strange with the lack of texture on some parts, then beautiful textures and finishes on others.

great work - and +1 for a sweet robot background story

and also +1 for hot wire cutter (ahh Blu Föm)

:::rain:::
    I'll start by congratulating you for being the only one to use a hand to reference the scale (with the exception of jorge to an extent). For the design to be so refined, I wish the paining was a little more refined, i think some sharper edges and better contrast would have aided this. I know its been said, but the glow is a bit too big / flat / hmmm. I think you were a bit shy with the presentation too. What is it. what am i looking at. Ah, design wise, I suspect its a bit too fragile and the cup might be prone to cause injury with all its spines. to finish, I'll reiterate my first point, this is product design - so well done for getting a user in there.

++ also, i just read that it floats... why? ++

kMh

Wow! really nice painting - i can see you've spent some time on it. Although we were encouraged to render new materials, i'm not convinced that gemstone has the right strength for the job. Sure, its very hard, but i don't think its particularly strong - ie its brittle. The design is luxurious, but maybe a bit uncomfortable, and the fork's prongs number 2 and 5 look like they would never see any action due to the curved 1 and 6. I'm very jealous of your painting skills. You are awarded nutkin's coveted image of the week

i'm yet to vote...

somewhere between the fridge and the sofa
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Thrashy's set. I like the look of it, especially the lil' Cthulhu-like-heads (funny touch). I like the Idea of designing a cutlery that's not (or nearly ) meant to be used in a Design section. Abdul Alhazred rules !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my favorites were trashy's and orion's. trashy, i really dig the style of your illustration and the design is great. i ended up voting for orion's because this image tells a story more than any other. good rendering too!
    nice work all 'round here.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.