Sketchbook: Nintendo DS paintings

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nintendo DS paintings

Hello there, i'm Miffle! I've been a keen artist for about 4 years now.

My passion is people, I just adore the fluidity of the human form. I can't get enough you know? I always sketch people uickly 1 second - 3 minute kind of drawings

This sketchbook will first be used for one purpose:

I recently got a NDS with a homebrew flash cart and loaded an application called 'Colors' http://www.collectingsmiles.com/colors/ I found out the NDS has pressure sensitivty so its just like carrying around a little wacom. I have fallen in love with it for quite gesture sketches.

From now on I will try to post a new drawing dailing, coloured or not, I will try to post one.

I hope you all enjoy this thread and feel inspired to paint on your DS too

The first one is straight out the DS, the second one is from the DS then painted in photoshop very quickly using a Wacom Graphire

Enjoy

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Miffle View Post
    1 second - 3 minute kind of drawings
    You can do a gesture drawing in 1 second...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FourTonMantis View Post
    two strokes and you're done, no problem.. Now if it looks like a person, thats another question..

Heres todays drawing, the random straight lines, well, thats where my knuckles hit the screen but its not too big of a problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FourTonMantis View Post
    He never said that, he said 1 - 3 second drawings.

Great idea wit hthe D.S seems to be awesome! nice character lets see some more so we can crit more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh thanks very much and I will try not to disapoint! This is like learning the wacom all over again, I will be posting daily apart from one day off next week (maybe i'll even post then)

I've popped over to your sketchbook, nice stuff you've got going there and i'll watch your progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a nice idea! One advice though: Keep it simple. YOu got it right in the first one, but that second pic's got way too much crap in the face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again, im from S.W england *Somerset* farmers ville hahah thanks for your crit and ill be watching your progress to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Theres a clever point, I think i'll do some more suggestive line art on the DS before I colour it in photoshop then.

Stay tuned for todays painting where i'll no doubt test out your advice
    Forgot to add:

Thye first is from life, the second is from photo reference

Last edited by Miffle; January 6th, 2008 at 07:45 AM.

bakatron is offline toronto blue jays fan... i'm serious.... stop laughing at me okay??
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    talk about clever. nice idea - i think ill try that on my own ds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah lol, i can understand what you mean. the area i live is great for landscaps, it gives you a real view for Scale ect. its fantastic i would think brum would give a more urban feal to pictures/environments due to all the buildings, who knows. im off to do a land scape peice now, talk soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool things here. I will watch you're progress

Leben ist die Kunst, aus falschen Voraussetzungen richtige Schlüsse zu ziehen

NEW SKETCHBOOK

Old Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Todays painting i've done whilist having a break for lunch

I combined detailed aspects of my second painting with a bigger prush sized to reduce the clutter

The problem I have with this piece is it makes my subject (my father!) look like he has a flat head and a long mopey face, I supposed its stylised

Oh! I'll be checking everyones sketchbooks that posted here as a way of saying thanks

My Daily DS paintings

Come take a look at my sketchbook, I may not be the master painter but i'm the only one doing it on a DS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it, got a good style to it i think the position of the glasses on the right side of the face is off giving it that odd look but i like it any how

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, god knows whats going on with that left eye though

My Daily DS paintings

Come take a look at my sketchbook, I may not be the master painter but i'm the only one doing it on a DS!

bakatron is offline toronto blue jays fan... i'm serious.... stop laughing at me okay??
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

oh hey

yes the progam is sketchbook pro. i also use open canvas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like the stylization, but his left shoulder is uncomfortably high in the colour version. Plus, it slopes very steeply and he ought to have more neck. Exactly how much line control and variation do these DS things have btw?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all the comments guys

walnut, I agree with you there

You can manually control the size like a brush in photoshop on a slider, same with opacity - then when you are using the stylus the placment of the paint seems a little iffy but the pressure is brilliant (thats if you can keep your knuckles from going everywhere) I wish I could get some figures, but used to working on a wacom graphire 4 here.. hmm..

How to put it, its better than the first time I tried a tablet PC without a wacom driver, the placement of the brush is a little behind the graphire but because I can see it infront of my the pressure is a joy and much more fluid than the graphire.

This is making me think - save and buy a new camera flash and wireless triggers or REALLY save and by a wacom with a screen or a proper tablet PC? Oh god! Deary me, choices - well the choice'll probably be the camera stuff but still

Thanks again guys

---

Todays painting looks much better in black and white because it hides the imperfections in the eyes - coloured I think it looks way too cartoony because of how the iris spills over the lids of the eye

I will be posting again shortly with some from life stuff, I think thats what this DS is better suited for

My Daily DS paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for dropping by my book.

Liking what you have going here. Not sure what it's like to paint on the DS, but I think you could work some on the brush economy. Also not sure if the are suppose to be stylisations or not, but either way I think they'd benefit from some studies and things.

Anycase, enjoyed seeing these, keep em up. Also, check out sparth's sb if you haven't, there's some stuff he did on a DS in there.
    keep it up!
    cheers!

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks very much for the comment Brendan, advice always welcome of course

I do work on some studies, I find it time to find the time like every artist here so I usually just do very quick life drawings which this thread is for - i'll show you an example of one of my more traditional pieces

---

Also because I wasn't happy with todays drawing I went and did some from life stuff which perked me right up - I saved my favourite - my dad is moving around like a seal in it but I still managed to capture quite a bit, the neck is giving me a bit of stick though

The painting is done in artrage just to illustrate what I do outside the DS - its probably 4 hours or so and I think the boys face is a bit too long but I still enjoy it

My Daily DS paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again, lookin on your DS paintings a bit more, i thkn you should post some pencil work, tho its a fantastic idea your only limited to the capabilities of the DS, so post up some of your life drawing and studies ect so we can guage your abilities a bit more. but please don't take this wrong and don't give up on the DS idea, it;s somthing new and no other site has it (I think)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello guys, just a quick one tonight

Had a break yesterday and didn't have a chance to colour today - I will be posting some traditional work on the weekend when I have time to scan and photo

Thanks for all the comments!

PS: The mouth and nose were done after my subject got up so they are competely ruined, bah

My Daily DS paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi again - i love the art rage thing. ive never been a big fan of it since the ui seems to molest my pc's resources.

basically all drawing and painting tools are vector based. photoshop is originally a raster manipulation program with some killer selection tools - they added vector functionality as it progressed. ps6 practically ruined the program with its poor vector abilities - ps7 was and is the best ps ever after 5.5 - they fixed up all the vector bugs and gave us brush functionality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really happy you like my artrage, I think its brush engine is so much nicer to pick up than painter but it lacks the control of photoshop

---

Ah yes, always used photoshop 7 uintil recently
    I wanted to add camera raw into my work flow so I upgraded to CS3 - in some aspects its a smarter program but god does it slow me down

I feel the layout restricts people with more than one screen now (me) Another big problem I had was having to hold Control to scroll-zoom in, I found the option to change zooming to just scrolling but in Photoshop 7 you would zoom up until the image was too big to be seen in full view then it would change from zoom-scroll to vertical-scroll - in CS3 it ignores this, my favorutie feature in photoshop, and just continues zooming like a mad man with a zoom fetish

Last edited by Miffle; January 10th, 2008 at 10:38 AM.
    My Daily DS paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Big update today because I happened to have my DS out of the house with me

All the proportians are terrible but its a good laugh - oh and anyone thinking of doing this, colouring in on the DS is very good as well, i'd say more fluid than using it for B&W

My Daily DS paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I was too tired last night so I have a multi part update today, just some quick goes at drawings some wonderful birds

My Daily DS paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, you wanted some traditional stuff, this is all I have to hand at the moment but I will be starting lifedrawing class on tuesday

My Daily DS paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Miffle View Post
    thanks for all the comments guys

walnut, I agree with you there

You can manually control the size like a brush in photoshop on a slider, same with opacity - then when you are using the stylus the placment of the paint seems a little iffy but the pressure is brilliant (thats if you can keep your knuckles from going everywhere) I wish I could get some figures, but used to working on a wacom graphire 4 here.. hmm..

How to put it, its better than the first time I tried a tablet PC without a wacom driver, the placement of the brush is a little behind the graphire but because I can see it infront of my the pressure is a joy and much more fluid than the graphire.

This is making me think - save and buy a new camera flash and wireless triggers or REALLY save and by a wacom with a screen or a proper tablet PC? Oh god! Deary me, choices - well the choice'll probably be the camera stuff but still

Thanks again guys

---

Todays painting looks much better in black and white because it hides the imperfections in the eyes - coloured I think it looks way too cartoony because of how the iris spills over the lids of the eye

I will be posting again shortly with some from life stuff, I think thats what this DS is better suited for
    Michael Jackson????

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats interesting i read about it in the last imaginefx issue nice to see some pics from it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah, I suppose it does look something like good old micheal jackson

and Kfeeras, thanks for the comment - I also love a bit of imaginefx, its great to see this mentioned in it

---

Sorry for the lack of updates, i've been at life drawing then cracking on with a big project but i've got a good 5 minuter for today

Completely done on the DS, starting to see the big advantage to colouring using one

My Daily DS paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Miffle, you get some interesting effects with that DS. Your traditional stuff looks good too; i like the second last one in post #26. Good to hear ou are taking up drawing classes. Keep going!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.