Personal take on War
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Personal take on War

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Personal take on War

So this is my first post in here, finally sat down and created something I felt was even the slightest bit worthy of comming on this site. Anyways gentlemen and ladies have at it. Just looking for some straight forward critisism and any advice about getting a background in there, and yes I know I should have been developing the background along with the character but I was slightly lazy for this one.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by A Sinister Plot; January 5th, 2008 at 04:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, welcome to the boards

Well, my opinion:
    The rendering technique is not bad,but red and green, as you may know, are Christmas colors, that combination tends to be very hard to pull off,is usually avoided. Unless, of course, the drawing is christmas themed. (is it?)

About the pose, when you see a drawing were the hands have been hidden in such a weird way for no apparent reason, you get the impression that the drawer went all the way to avoid drawing them. It really screams so, if you have trouble with hands dont go crazy trying to hide them in your pictures, do more studies and force yourself to show them. His right leg looks kinda weird, it reads as it were shorter. I suggest trying to do the pose yourself, is seems to me he is on an awkward position.

Edit*: i meant replicate the pose in real life, just in case i didnt explain myself

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    renegade said many good things there.

my crit whould go too the overall design, its looking really cartoony, not only because of the colors, all the shapes to, they are really smooth and soft, no edges, it looks like a toy, so if thats not what your aiming for, its a bad thing

on the bright side though, the rendering is really well done, realistic, its the shapes themselfs that doesnt match the same realism...

anyhow, welocme to CA man, keep drawing and keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not exactly sure as to the gender of the character. I want to think it's a guy, but the green plates on the chest make it look like the character's wearing a bra of some sort, which in turn kinda makes it look like a woman. Unless of course it is a female character.
    The feet and lower legs are bothering me a little. It's great to see that you're putting in the effort to create the folds in the cloth, but there's no bunching around the ankles, which seems strange considering that there's armour on the feet. Concerning the feet, they're both facing the same direction, while the body is facing a different direction. The effect this has is that it looks like the character has hooves rather then fully developed feet.
    The right arm also seems to disappear. Compared to the length of the left arm, it almost looks like you should be able to see the characters hand behind the body.
    Also, concerning comparison, the characters scarf doesn't look quite as good as the other pieces of clothing.
    My suggestion would be to not worry about backgrounds for now. I know that with some more work you'll be able to produce a character who can stand on their merit without one.
    One last thing, this looks like it would be an excellent piece to play around with some foreshortening on. Goodluck! I look forward to what you next produce!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all the comments guys, definatly a huge help.

My biggest problem was I kinda screwed myself in the beginning phase. I started with a drawing i had done 5 years ago. I didnt do any altering at all and just jumped straight into painting. What im thinking would be the best is to go back and redrawn the character now and give him a more interesting pose and compose the image better, such as not hiding his hands in some akward position. I'll probably post up the updated line drawing for crits and go from there.

again thanks for the crits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sounds like a great idea. Colouring can only do so much, and I'm really looking forward to your new iteration.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.