Thread: Heh... Wacky.

Thanks

Heh... Wacky.

When I get all "existentiall-y transcendental" on your asses, I tend to want to talk about concepts like... Existence. When I think of existence in terms of matter, of which everything in physical existence is comprised, and the electromagnetic spectrum, of which physical existence occupies less than one millionth of the charted spectrum, therein... I feel as though it hints toward matter and spirit and how each parallel the other. Both are eternal; matter, in the scientific sense that it cannot be created nor destroyed, therefore having always existed, and will exist forevermore... and Spirit, in the sense that it simply IS eternal, being that it is also considered to exist within the electromagnetic spectrum. It just is, dammit... and always will be. You can't prove it's not! Just you try... Yeah.. deal with it. Having this information come to me, in the manner that it did, leads me to ask the rhetorical question: "With this knowledge, how can one not come to the conclusion that we, who are each and every one of us, animated by the same life energies, not be eternal beings in one form or another?" ...Ahh, the unknown. What a great thing to be afraid of.

dis..cuss? :confused:

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The things that swarm around a person's head at 4 a.m right?... have a good saturday?

matter can be "destroyed" or nullified if it comes in contact with antimater.. but on an equal extent so a universal balance of the both is still employed..
    so can spirit be nullified??

Sorry I don't believe in spirits so I don't have much other than that to discuss...
    Last edited by Sammy; September 14th, 2003 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks
    Why do you have to be all negative about it?

Thanks
    I wasn't negative... I thought I was discussing.. my apologies if it came across as negative..

What I wrote was just as unproven of a theory as any .. I just felt it was funny 'cause I was also up at 4 a.m. having just had a "crazy" saturday.. gets one thinkin' ya know?

and if not beleiving in spirit/soul comes across as negative then I'm sorry.. personaly I find my beleifs quite possotive.

Thanks
    My bad dude. Easy to get the wrong impression over the net. My starting this post wasn't the result of it being a crazy saturday, so much as it was a result of my being extremely bored at 4am. I think anyone's view, regardless of whether or not it contradicts mine, is a positive one, as long as it provokes thought. Like I said.. I was bored. :p

Thanks
    People who believe in the 'wonders of science' will often disregard the idea of a person being eternal. As will humanocentric people, evolutionists and people with their own belief sytems. There are many ways to look at an eternal soul. While I do believe that we have souls, I am not sure how handy it would be to be eternal. If people get so easily bored, wouldn't eternity almost be a curse? Yet the alternative is hardly any more positive; oblivion, a concept the human mind cannot truly grasp as there is no way to replicate this state, oblivion is not reversible.

There exist many people who apparently prove the existence of life after death, Tibetan lamas for example, who can speak secret monastic languages at the age of two (as the Dalai Lama has) and recognize items that belonged to previous lamas, with 100% accuracy. The fact that this happens so often is beyond sheer coincidence. And is everyone who has ever seen a ghost just delusional? What are ghosts? What is possession?

I am not a Catholic, but for myself, I am kind of shooting for Purgatory, this state sounds like the safest bet. If you follow many Christian doctrines, not believing in God will get you oblivion, for that is considered the one unforgivable sin.

bat
    ----------------------------------------
    Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.

I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian, against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

Writer, illustrator and artist.

Thanks
    I guess I fall somewhere in your 'wonders of science'/Evolutionist people ....... but people who are anthropocentric are in every belief I feel..

I just like science 'cause when it's proven wrong it accepts the fact and moves on

I was raised christian/methodist... but one day I just came to terms that I didn't beleive in it.. and never had... plain and simple.. I'm sure that some other athiest people can relate on some level...

I'm with Octave 13 in that anyones views are posotive .. these beleifs we all have make the world go round .. it is of little concern over who's wright or wrong. The majority of people I live around propetuate the steryotype of the "hatefull athiest".. They blame a lot of the worlds problems on religion .. and I feel they couldn't be more wrong .. I feel that human nature is responsible not religion (I also feel that these "world problems' are necessary for our growth)...
    a bad person's gonna do bad things right

oh crap I promised myself I wouldn't post here.. we're not solving anything HAHA

Thanks
    I was also raised a Methodist and never felt the same way as people around me, I was always puzzled by people who were 'moved by the Spirit' or 'filled with the Joy'. This doesn't cause me to doubt an afterlife or the existence of a Creator, in fact I believe myself that a somewhat benevolent Creator is behind most religions, and allows us to work things out on our own, letting us have our melodramas and angst. After all, after we are born, we do nothing more or less than play out the events that lead up to our physical deaths, sometimes this takes hours, sometimes decades. Having done a fair amount of travel, I have seen, at least to me, proof that there is something working behind the scenes.

Atheism does bother me, however. I am not sure how a person can feel love or emotion or care about anyone or anything else if they do not believe in some form of a God. I do not understand such a bleak existence. I would hate to think that this miserable planet is all there is to experience.

I will say that although a system may disturb me personally, I hold nothing against anyone's beliefs and I am glad that we can hold an intelligent conversation regarding our beliefs without shouting and hopefully there are no hard feelings.

bat

I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian, against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

Thanks
    sorry to use quotes, I think this thread might run rapant with them ...

Atheism does bother me, however. I am not sure how a person can feel love or emotion or care about anyone or anything else if they do not believe in some form of a God. I do not understand such a bleak existence. I would hate to think that this miserable planet is all there is to experience.
    People tell me that I'm one of the most caring/loving persons they've ever met, so it does indeed hurt to hear that... I didn't chose to be Athiest... maybe it's a rusult of my scientific interests i donno... It's just what's inside me.

Personaly I find it sad that people catogorize our existance as "bleak" and find this to be a "miserable planet".. when there's so much wonder..
    righ now I'm completely comfortable with the floor beneath me even tho it rests 30 feet in the air ... the words I'm typing span across the globe ... and I'm about to get in my car that contains a combustable confligration safely within two feet so I can go get supplies for artwork rather than crushing berries and bugs.
    I'm pretty thankfull for what humans have brought me, and I hope to contribute in some way no matter how insignificant I might be.

Thanks
    I don't mean to be any more hurtful by being confused about how atheists can feel than you do about dismissing my belief in a form of deity. It is more curiousity than ill feelings though, I believe. I will say that I do resent the current trend in the world to dismiss religion as a superstition of the past, for example the recent removal of the Ten Commandments from a state building. To me, this removes the validity of the laws and morals this country is built upon.

Though I do see beauty in the world, there are many atrocities, all of which humans bring unto humans.

bat

Thanks
    I don't necessarily subscribe to any <i>specific</i> set of beliefs, on the grounds that the major religions all send, at thier roots, the same fundamental message. They all have their respectable merits, in my opinion. We've only muddied up the message over the millenia through our flaws as human beings. I tend to think of spirituality in a more broad, less restrictive sense. I will admit to saying that my views aren't guided by rationality. I tend to follow my feelings more, but i'm thinkin' I'm not alone in that sentiment, being that I'm but one of hundreds of right-brain thinkers lurking on these particular forums.