Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Does race matter?

im 14 and im wondering if companies like capcom and square enix only hire peole of there own race because ive notice that there are no american artist in any of their game so does where you are from count in trying to get a job???please answer because i really want to know!!!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Japanese companies hire primarily Japanese people, and Japan is a far more racially homogeneous country than the US or even most of Europe.
    In the US, not hiring someone solely because of race or ethnic background is illegal (although often difficult to prove).
    When working as a freelancer, these days there is rarely any face-to-face or even phone contact, so it should be a non-issue. Of course, it should always be a non-issue.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    I think you mean nationality and not race. But like Master Elwell has stated, it is a non issue and it's kind of a tradition in Japan (I suppose) to hire from within the nationality/race/country rather than import someone else. Besides, they have great artists there, why would be need to bring in Americans or Europeans?

Thanks
    I agree. Nationality.

Another reason for them to be hiring mainly japanese people is the sense of culture. It's that much easier to create a strong company culture when everyone is already similar in many ways.

Imagine working in an animation studio where the guy next to you speaks Korean, and the guy on the otherside speaks japanese! Communication is a factor in who they hire as well.
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks

Does race matter?

But it seems like theres no big companies in the US
    What are some companies here???
    And to ian wouldnt you just learn to speak japanese??

Thanks
    Nationality or race,dont matter much, plenty of artists are located outside of their home countries or freelance for clients outside of their region.

If you have a company located in japan were you have plenty of qualified proffesionals to hire within the same area and that speak your same languaje, then the majority of your staff will be japanese, is a nobrainer

What you should think about is becoming qualified, getting experience and make a solid portfolio before worrying about the employment. There are pleeenty big, small and middle companies and studios around the world to work with, not just Capcom and square enix.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
    But it seems like theres no big companies in the US
    What are some companies here???
    Here Reptile, you can use this to see where in the world game companies are located: http://www.gamedevmap.com/
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    So xenophobia is accepted behavior now? I must have missed something.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Linzoy View Post
    So xenophobia is accepted behavior now? I must have missed something.
    saywhatnow?

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting the posts but it seems like some people are saying there isn't anything wrong with avoiding hiring foreigners.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Yup, you're misinterpreting.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    wow Seedling thanks for that link i was going to start a thread on the east coast companies - that helps!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    Yup, you're misinterpreting.
    Ok, pretend my old post is deleted.

Thanks
    I work at a medium sized video game studio in Los Angeles.

Out of the 100 people in our studio, we only have one African American. We have a dozen or so Mexicans, and some of them hold very high senior/Lead positions. Some of the most talented people at our company are of South American/Latin American decent. We have around a dozen asians here, too (Korean, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Thai). The other 80 people here are all white, and of course they have all the highest positions in the company as well.

However, statistically Los Angeles is about 80% caucasian, and most of the people getting in the game industry are caucasian, so the ethnic ratio seems about right. Overall, your talent, experience, and ability to work with others will matter the most.

Living in Japan, it makes sense they would show preference for a fellow Japanese than a foreigner for jobs up there. They are not as open as Americans when it comes to outsiders living in their country (despite how f'ed up our current laws are).

Thanks
    Nothing better than to go at the source http://www.square-enix.com/jp/recruit/
    The site is entirely in japanese, they have postings in french or english, these are jobs as testers of the translated games.
    I have read job postings for Square in the past and they require that you 1-be super hot in your job 2-speak and write japanese like a native.

It makes sense, would you go out of your way to hire someone who can't read your documents and can't speak your language? I wouldn't call that xenophobia, more like common sense. My boss hired a programmer who spoke no english and nearly no french in the past, only mandarin, that was quite the pain in the butt even tho the guy was nice and probably competant, it's hard to say.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    There could be issues related to immigration status that affect this, at least in the case where the prospective employee intends to live in the country where the employer is domiciled. It's that way in the U.S.

Thus, the employer may have an easier time keeping records that satisfy the government if they stick to people who can show nice obvious papers such as local birth certificates.

Thanks
    could someone tell me of an artist that works far a big company in japan thats also from the us??

Thanks
    reptile, Im sure there is one or two, but they are fluent in japanese and have probably lived in japan a while.

Big japanese companies dont hire americans when they dont have to. They are xenophobic.

Thanks
    what if i go live in japan and learn japanese??

Thanks
    What is this fascination with asiatic companies and who they hire? I would focus on my art (I don't want to hear anything about me regarding this) than worry about a company who is not looking at hiring right this moment. It just seems almost pointless.

Thanks
    what if i go live in japan and learn japanese??
    As far as i know the japanese industry has very high standards of quality, not only that but a huge amount of qualified professionals that compete in all the fields, is not an easy ground. And going to live in a different country with a complete different languaje and culture is not as easy as it sounds.

Again, main thing to worry about is preparation and becoming qualified, dont think too much on this stuff, if you are unqualified it makes no difference where you live or the size of the industry, this goes with any career. Your only 14, focus on improving your skills and worry about the rest later

Thanks
    Art is the main thing im focusing on, it just something i wanted to know
    its not likei post on here everyday about it

Thanks
    My personal experiences with this wherever I've been... Any company with higher end jobs tend prefer hiring native workforce. Lower-end jobs like waiting tables or handing out newspapers, who cares, but anything that requires a longer education, they go native.

There are several valid practical reasons for this.

- You speak the language natively. Which makes it easier to communicate with co-workers, you'll present ideas easier and provide less spelling errors etc if you work with any kind of text-processing.

- You understand the culture. Less probability of strain with co-workers due to social codes, and you'll probably communicate ideas better with the native demographic etc etc.

- You won't "move back to your country" at some point, thus losing a valued employee.

Then there are a whole bunch of advantages in employing a foreigner too, hiring someone who's able to think differently then everybody else enrichens a lot more than it complicates things, but... This is what I guess many employers are thinking. That, and it's scary to employ someone with a strange name, face, and who thinks and acts differently than everyone else. So, yeah, xenophobia too. Definetily. You should expect the same wherever you do travel in this wide world. In my experience at least...

The main exception to the rule are companies that work internationally, where it might be a practical advantage to have one guy from Sudan, another from Sweden, another from Korea cause they do business with all countries on a daily basis.
    - Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    could someone tell me of an artist that works far a big company in japan thats also from the us??
    http://www.christianlorenzscheurer.c.../homepage.html
    http://japanmanship.blogspot.com/
    There are others too.
    If you have an exceptional portfolio and have sufficient knowledge of the language yes it is possible...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    There could be issues related to immigration status that affect this, at least in the case where the prospective employee intends to live in the country where the employer is domiciled. It's that way in the U.S.

Thus, the employer may have an easier time keeping records that satisfy the government if they stick to people who can show nice obvious papers such as local birth certificates.
    Also, some countries have laws that require companies to hire native workforce over foreigners without work permits, unless the countries of the employer and employee have a special "worker exchange" treaty. That is to say; in order for you to be able to get a work permit for a specific job, that company first has to advertise the job post and interview native workers. And if they're unable to find a native worker that can fill the position, only then can they apply for a work permit for a foreign worker. This hinders the "import" of foreign work force in some countries.

The governments of the world don't want people to move around, that's why these things are so frigging hard.
    - Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    im sorry, im half japanese, and i used to lived at japan and i know what u all mean, about the racial issues etc...! but i think they don't hire much foreigners also( i think this is the correct use ) because of the language barrier, if some artist have the enough talent and speak fluently the language is probably hired, and u guys all know, but English at japan aint that good ( any good at ALL! xD ), its not skin color problem, but historical issues still remains in their mentality, ( lesser with the time ) theres still wounds healing... ok i dont want to vague to much about it... anyway my opinion ^^
    Renegade89 is completely right focus on your skill for now =D
    Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Though this isn't a game company (it's an animation studio), at Studio 4°C the guy that directed Tekkon Kinkreet is an american. He used to live in the states, but moved to Japan and works there now. I think the main issue in working in other countries is trying to get visas.

Thanks
    Don't go strictly by names, given the number of people who've immigrated to various countries and married there, a Japanese name doesn't mean they're necessarily born in Japan or are ethnically Japanese. Plenty of people change their names, marry into a name or otherwise end up with a name that doesn't match their apparent ethnicity.

While yes, a lot of the Japanese games companies have Japanese workers due to communication ease and a large job market of Japanese workers. They have also have/had outsourced studios. At one point Square had a studio outside of Japan but they shut it down a few years ago. I don't know if they have any others.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by subversive-imaginati View Post
    At one point Square had a studio outside of Japan but they shut it down a few years ago. I don't know if they have any others.
    Square's film division, which produced Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, was based in Hawaii (presumably because it was convenient to both headquarters in Japan and Hollywood?). It was closed down after the movie bombed.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    a race matters most to those who win it

(post count +1)
    WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast