the contents of my portfolio, please critique
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: the contents of my portfolio, please critique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the contents of my portfolio, please critique

hi guys,
    I'm Wendy, almost 18, a senior in high school, and these are some of the pieces I've done so far for my AP Studio Art class. we have a two week period in April where we fix up all of them before submitting it to the AP Board, so I want it to be in tiptop shape. Any critique would be greatly appreciated. :] thanks.

1) Charcoal and ink on painted paper:

2) Acrylic (there is something really screwy about the anatomy that I can't put my finger on Dx)

3) Acrylic (it's hard to tell there are trees in that reflection; any tips on painting them would be appreciated)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In #2, the eyes look really far apart, face on the left especially, might want to check that.

My Missus has wide set eyes but really, they're only a few millimetres from average. Eyes are such an important part of a likeness that (along with noses*) they are the things you must get bang on accurate or the portrait falls apart.

Check your painting in a mirror, that usually helps you see where stuff is off.

* this is why nose jobs are the most popular plastic surgery, the nose really defines the look of the entire face/likeness and is the most changeable area..Nail that nose and eye area.

Last edited by Flake; January 3rd, 2008 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Aremis!

Where are you going to apply with this portfolio? Is this all the works you have in your portfolio? I suspect there's more, and if so. Post all others too.

I'd suggest trying to do more sketchworks to learn how to place eyes, nose and mouth in the face. One major problem right now is that you're skipping the sketch stadium just to start shading and working with details. The result is the skewed and scary look on the faces.
    Another thing to think about is to not draw everything and not make every little crevasse (?) into a hard ravine when shading. A very common mistake that you haven't made is when doing eyes. Many people draw a lemontype of shape and then puts circles inside it. Disregarding the whole shape discussion (to think about sphereshapes on eyesockets) they often make the lemon a closed shape. But if you take a real eye and simplify it you'll notice it's way darker at the upper lid, since it's "deeper" into the eyesocket and you'll get more shadows.
    See this image and think about how you'd sketch it.
    http://buytaert.net/cache/images-mis...ye-500x500.jpg

I did however say that wasn't your problem, but that would only go as far as eyes. You are making these lines around their noses, and from the nostrils down to their cheeks. The changes in value should be there, but you've made them too hard and without a consequent sense of light.

So you should try to think more about their basic shapes. Try to start using castshadows, to really show how the parts are shaped. Also save some of the brightest values for highlights, it will really help to explain their shape.

As usual I write all to much. Just ask if you don't understand, I tend to.. drift.

In short. Think more about their shape and use the colours (grayscale) to describe that shape.

Good luck with your portfolio!

.cheers

Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - cghub - deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are actually the ones I submitted to the colleges as part of the art supplement; I'm not applying to art school. Along with colleges, they'll go to the AP Board.

thanks very much for your critique; I'll be sure to spend more time doing practice drawing that doesn't consist of cartoony doodles. which reminds me, I should be doing right now for art. haha. ^^ thanks again!

Rockhart is offline Struggling College Student Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    k Im not going to crit your artwork. but i want you to know how lucky you are that you have an AP studio art class in high school. if only i had that chance.... oh well that's what you get for livinging in the boonies

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.