Art: || stoph's sculpts || COMPLETE AND UTTER NOOB - PLS CRIT KTHX [tauren UPDATED 08/01]

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Talking || stoph's sculpts || COMPLETE AND UTTER NOOB - PLS CRIT KTHX [tauren UPDATED 08/01]

hi guys, you've all proven such an inspiration to me that i decided to try my hand at sculpting *cue sigh's, rolling of eyes, and much slapping of foreheads*

i found one of my local art stores stocked super sculpy *cue heavenly chorus* and bought me a slab, collected various tools from place to place, then sat down to work, using one of Jason Chan's gorgeous World Of Warcraft illustrations (this one) as inspiration for this, my very first sculpture.

i made the armature out of some old coat hangers, soldering wire and aluminium foil for the bulkiest part of the figure (1hr), then blocked in with the glorious goo. took about a half hour of laying it down as per Smellybug's method, hinting at the anatomy with the first pass as opposed to cutting back into one big chunk of clay. i found this a very helpful technique, as well as time-saving. what you see here is about 3 hours work, using mostly my fingers, and the occasional aid of a very nice sculpting tool brought out by Games Workshop.

i'm relatively happy at how it is coming along so far, i think for the most part i've gotten the proportions down alright, though he looks a little lean (mmmm... lean beef), but i like it, since most of my creations tend to mirror my own diminutive build. i've always been partial to the way in which Blizzard exaggerates the proportions of its characters, so whats the harm in pushing it a little further?

any tips and/or criticisms so far in the process would be VERY much appreciated, i dont want to go too far into it before being told i'm going about it all wrong and its too late to change things..

so i submit neck to the chopping block, smeared in the blood of so many that have gone (and failed) before me - DO YOUR WORST! i probably will..

edit: i will try and get some better photos of it, right now all i have is a macbook with built-in webcam..

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by stoph; January 8th, 2008 at 07:49 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin' pretty good, Stoph. The only thing that looks off to me right now is that his torso seems extremely long. Keep at it!

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AHHH crap. haha. how would i go about fixing that (now oh-so-obvious) mistake? i tried shaving off some of the top of his hump, flattening it out more, but i dont know if thats gonna help.. it doesnt help to begin with that his legs are in the crouched position, if one were to straighten them out, his legs would be taller than his torso is long. i'll try giving him a slightly higher belt line, as well as moving his abdominals up some, and bulking them out toward the lower abs, so its more of a pot belly. thanks, fukifino

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We'll be having steak twice a week! Keep it up, I'd like to see how he progresses.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, Pezzle, i appreciate the support

here's a quick update, 2 lazy hours on since last you saw it. i know, crap picture again.. his musculature is a little too defined atm, but i plan to soften it up when i add the fur and such.

now, some questions:

1. what is the best method to simulate fur? scoring the surface with a tool? or adding patches? or both? perhaps a stamping method with some ready made texture? could i make a block resembling fur, cook it, then stamp?

2. how should i go about baking this? a long, low heat bake? would it be wisest to bake first before adding smaller details such as the clothing, etc, given that i constantly manage to squish one part whilst doing another, and then squish the past i just did fixing up the last part i just did (GAHH back and forth..)

kthx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there stoph,

I would say the best way to create the fur texture you're looking for (at least in the thickest areas, such as the mane) is to first add sheets of sculpey to get the rough volume and shape of the fur on top of the musculature you've already laid down and then work back into this extra sculpey with some cutting to add texture. This way you wont be reducing the mass of the body with the cuts you make, but will be creating a better sense of the extra bulk of the fur.

For the finer fur on the rest of the body, you might like to try a fairly firm toothbrush just swept over the sculpey in the direction you want the fur to flow: I use this method a lot becuase the toothbrush hairs can give a nice delicate texture but just experiment and take a look around the house for anything that has a good surface to use a a stamp or tool.

As for your second question, I would advise a longer, lower heat bake than the sculpey box suggests, as this seems to reduce the chances of cracking, but I couldn't say whether it would be best to bake before detailling as I have never tried this method.

Hope that helped a little and keep up posting pics as this progresses (especially when you get to the hands, as I have trouble with these on a small scale so it would be good to see how you might handle them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    end_the_apocalypse: wow, thank you so much for the clear and concise answers, they were precisely what i needed i will search for a brush best suited for making fur when im able, it sounds like an easy and effective technique

here is what i did today, only about an hours worth. used a bit of aluminium foil glued to a short piece of armature wire, then blocked in and tooled it down till it looked like a hand (a three-fingered tauren hand, that is). sorry about the bad photo quality.. if you could see it in person, you would see fine wrinkles and creases of skin, as well as the nails. i've found that a $3 precision screwdriver set (the really tiny screwdrivers used for watches and such) were an invaluable investment here. who would have thought it would take so long for something so small! when im relatively happy with how the hand looks, i'll simply insert the wire into the un-defined forearm, and then blend/shape till it looks good. the cuff will complete the look, and i'll have finished his left arm!

another question - how does one simulate the look of fabric, such as a heavy-weave cotton? i want to better distinguish between his pants and his skin - i know that the fur will help, but i dont want the pants to be left smooth and un-textured. im going to add patches, stitching, holes and rips, but i want the otherwise intact fabric to look like fabric.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jo, i once cut a piece out of a torso which was too long too. I baked it and then cut it in two halfs with a dremel; shortened it and epoxied it together again by taking something out of the inside and filling it with epoxy-glue and a piece of wire. That will work especially perfect if you have to ad fur anyway.
    Ah, i like the hand very much!
    Greets, matthias

Thats the piece i`m talking about:
    http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...bucket/Peleps/

Ah, you could press real fabric onto it (perhaps use some separating powder like cornstarch or talkum), or give it a leather texture like skin..
    Bye, Matthias

Last edited by Huraxdax; January 16th, 2008 at 09:38 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.