Thanks

Mac Book Pro ?'s

I have to get a laptop and I'm considering the Mac Book Pro Core 2 duo. I heard Mac book pros had problems running PS CS since it wasn't a native program.
    If anybody has any advice or stories with theirs please share.

Oh, and if anybody thinks maxing out the specs with 4 gis of RAM or 200 Gigs of storage will make much of a performance difference let me know. I don't plan on playing games...just lots of art.

I think I've seen Andrew using a Mac...but I can't remember for sure.

Thanks!

Happy 2008!
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    To share my completely unbiased opinion:

Both Mac's and PC's are outstanding and garbage machines. I have had PC's crash on me, I have had macs crash on me. They're just computers. I work on a screamin quad core mac at my full time design job, and I built my own home PC with specs my audio, art, and 3D software can't even fully use yet.

The important thing to consider is:

1- What are you going to do to ensure that "computers nature to crash" doesn't ruin your work.
    Maybe all you need to do is cntrl/cmnd + S every 5 minutes. Maybe you need a backup drive or raid array. Figure out what works for you, because both WILL crash, and it always seems to be at the worst time.

2- What OS you already know and are comfortable with. Everyone has their own preference. I always hit the wrong keyboard shortcut since I work on both platforms, and it can be annoying. I usually take 30 minutes or so to adjust and hit cntrl instead of the windows key, or cmnd instead of shift when I switch platforms on a daily basis. You have try both OS's out and figure what feels better to you, I love different things about both OS's.

3- What is the most bang for your buck. Honestly, one thing that PC really has going for it is that you could get well over twice as powerful of a laptop for the same price as a slow Mac. Really sit down and decide "is [X feature] worth X amount of money." The fact that so and so uses one or it looks sexy, should make no difference to you. Most software is cross platform now, but not all. I bought CS3 for PC, so for me to buy a Mac I also have to consider re-buying some of my software, or the opposite for someone who has Mac versions of software.

In the end its just a tool. the only thing that matters is your art. Great art comes from both platforms and no one ever knows the difference. Anyone who says MAC vs. PC and X is better doesn't know what they're talking about. That's like saying "This painting sucks because it was done with X brand of oil paints." It all comes down to what helps you to crank out your art.

Hope that helps, but really consider your options, if you have a valid reason the 2K for a mac book is what you need then go for it. But I really recommend you see what the other manufactures are offering for almost half the price before you make a decision. Good luck.
    Last edited by K-bot; January 6th, 2008 at 03:25 AM.

Thanks
    i would wait till 15th of january, thats when a big mac convention is and there is the possibility that the macbook pros are getting an update. even if you don't buy one of those it often means the current line becomes a bit cheaper.
    normally i'd say buy what you need when you need it, but since it's only a week and half away you might as well hang on for a bit longer.

i'd definitely add as much ram as possible.

happy 2008 back at you...
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    I couldn't wait to see if that rumor was true - I'm just impatient like that. I got a MacBook Pro 17" 2.4ghz with 4gb Ram (I upgraded the Ram myself, much cheaper) and a 30" Cinema Display. CS3 runs just smooth as a baby's butt on it. It opens faster than it did on my arguably faster PC - the ONLY thing I will say, that is definitely true, is that Mac uses Ram more efficiently - and so programs can run faster on a "slower" Mac.

Anyway, get what you want. 90% of my decision to get a Mac was because they are stylish, beautiful and cool - and all the apps will work in tune with my iPhone.
    “It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

Thanks
    i'd go for it, if you're not familiar with the mac OS you will soon be its extremely user friendly, the components of the actual machine work very well, and if you're pumping out more ram n hd performance and stuff will be much better (4gb or ram should be enought to run PS )
    i'm really happy with the MBP, even if i don't have 4gigs or 200g hd space, and i never did experience a crash so far, and the OS is much simples and less..."noisy" than vista.
    I'm pretty sure you won't regret the buy.I'm not saying mac is better than pc but...well, lets say its the first time i buy a computer and it does exacly what its supposed to do, nothing more, nothing less, and thats not so obvious when you buy a pc.

ciao

Thanks
    As the mac is designed as a complete setup, many feel that it's easier and sleeker to use as a media machine, image library, music/movie creator etc etc etc. You'll just have to try it out for yourself to make up your mind about it, but I personally think it's a lot sleeker as an integrated system for all your possible creative and daily needs, so to speak.

But if all you're after is running PS or Painter, using Mac OS or Windows doesn't make that much of a difference since they're both comparable in stability and speed and the app is exactly the same... Then, you'd might want to go with a PC simply because of the price.

And there's the issue of which system you prefer, Windows or OS X.

In any case, get a display to go with it. I've been working on my old Powerbook G4 and the major creativity-killers are the slowness (it's an old machine) and the 15" screen. It's been great to me, since I've been literally living out of a suitcase the last five years, travelling the world and it never even squeaked a complaint.

But since I've settled down, it's just not enough. Time to get a new one if I ever want to get serious about digital painting... For now I'm doing what I can filling the house with traditional media instead.
    Last edited by Whyatt Thrash; January 3rd, 2008 at 10:55 AM.
    - Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Although its true, mac or pc may not effect the work you produce that much, presumably you will also be using this machine for more than just pumping out artwork and in my personal opinion (which is not massively fact based but I have owned a form of both mac and pc) the mac takes it. Mainly because my mac is over a year old now, I have filled it with work, spent hours browsing the internet and it doesnt feel any slower or older than the day I bought it. My pc on the other hand stayed feeling fresh for little more than a couple of months and experienced far more in the way of crashes. Its about 2 years old now and I actually cant stand to use it anymore (its now at my parents house and when I visit for long periods of time I always make sure I bring my mac, even though its an imac and not remotely portable.)

If what buhlerks says about them both running ps the same is true (which Im sure it is) then I would at least be considering the mac for all of the other advantages.

By the by, my friend has a powerbook which is probably about a year and a half to 2 years old and (besides still loving it to pieces) hes just decided to upgrade some memory so its probably not a bad idea to max out the specs if you can afford it.

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments. I plan on using my Cintique with the laptop... I assume it wont have any problems.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by otis View Post
    I have to get a laptop and I'm considering the Mac Book Pro Core 2 duo. I heard Mac book pros had problems running PS CS since it wasn't a native program.
    Are you already using macs, or are you considering a switch?
    If you're already on a mac, I'm not sure how CS runs on the intel machines. I know people had complaints about CS2's performance. I upgraded to CS3 (which is intel native) with my new iMac, but PS7 ran fine on it.
    If you're currently using Windows, you'll have to get a mac version of PS anyway, so you might as well get the latest version.
    Last edited by Elwell; January 3rd, 2008 at 03:33 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    I recently was given a Mac Book Pro from my place of work. I've always wanted to work on a Mac, and it's been a dream. It's features are very user friendly, and there's just things you will find that make it a joy to use...

I've always had a PC, and never thought I would enjoy using a Mac. I am a convert. Not to mention it just looks sexy as hell.