Page 38 of 96 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 88 ... LastLast

Thread: !! Jasper's Sketchbook: January 15th (NSFW) !!

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Sweet SB! Values are wicked!

Thanks
    amazing, wish I was at your level. keep posting man, really cool..

Thanks
    wow dude, I'm impressed, great stuff!! Now I gotta do more studies!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,797 Times in 2,068 Posts
    inspired? yes i think i am now...... HOT SHIT BRO!!!!!!!!
    MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Awesome stuff man! its great to see what you've been up too!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    I think you have some good stuff going on for the DW.

I do want to point out a few things that may be helpful as a critique (and feel free to take what you agree with and leave what you disagree with).

In terms of mark making i do not see economy with your strokes, it feels like to much is going on with your mark making and that results in distraction from the focal areas of the painting. Your forms look really solid and are very readable as 3d forms. But you should definitely consider variety with your marks. It can be tempting in DW to attack everything with the "1pixel brush of doom +6", but i do want to suggest incorperating some softer gradations or something to break up the monotony of all your hundreds of marks.

As far as the anatomy of the figure shooting the bazooka, the head/neck are off for me. The character's expression and posture betray the urgency of what he is engaged in. Is he supposed to be unsure and anxious or engaged and ready to kick ass? Tilt his head foward, arch his back a little. Maybe bring his center of gravity lower so that he has more visible weight considering the fact that he is shooting a bazooka almost as big as he is. Take some pictures of yourself holding your vacuum cleaner at the angle he is holding the bazooka. and you will see that there are only a few (specific) postures that are going to be comfortable. And take note that even with that your vaccum is not nearly as heavy as his gun

I think the way he is holding the gun is a bit unrealistic for the sort of backlash shooting it would have. I would like to see it either tucked under his arm or on his shoulder. For an automatic weapon (which i assume it is) of that caliber he would need far more support to sustain his shooting angle. Try to consider that shooting a gun like that requires an entire body's worth of support, which in theory needs to come primarily in the legs rather than the arms.

The monster figure in the background is superb. I would say that (for me) its by far the strongest aspect in terms of rendering. However he isnt engaged in the story of the picture. Infact i almost question whether he is the monster or allied with the protagonist. I think this is because as a character participating in the visual story you are creating, he looking straight foward out side of the frame of the picture instead of engaging with whats goin on the picture. where is his emotion? where is his reaction? Where is his rage?

I can totally see this picture working SUPER well if you wnt with the monster in the background as the main focus on the image. and used the guy as a secondary focus. One thing to consider is the juxtaposition of proportions. Maybe make the monster extreemely domineering to the composition or the protagonist exteremly domineering. Push something against the edges of the frame so that the image has motion and weight. I feel that everything in it is lookin still and lacking the emotional feeling that there is a life/death battle going on here.

Are you aiming for dynamism or subtlety? If your goal is to be dynamic then you need to push toward the readable extremes and things need to click without thinking. Image making is a language and you will want to consider what you are conveying in your picture. if your postures, colors, ect are contrary to the concept then its not going to read well. If it doesn't read in an obvious way then you cant be sure that your reader will understand. but if you are aiming for subtlety then you definitely need to do a lot in terms of concept development with this image.

Whats the background of the characters? And what in their personal stories can be reflected in their design. So we have a giant monster and a guy wearing a body suite. Is he a general? Is he a soldier? He has massive arms! Is he a cyborg? does he have gadgets? Battle Scars? utility belt? Tattoos? The monster: Is he a mutant? Is he angry? Is he upset and forlorn? Is he magical? Does he have wounds and injuries? Does he secrete mucus, slime, blood, ect? What about the scenery? Where are they? In a cellar? In a tunnel? Abandoned factory?

Are there pieces of flesh on the floor? old boxes? bullet shells? Pools of blood or slime?

whats in the background? More monsters? Dead bodies? architectural silhouettes? dust and debris?

not all of these need to be packed into an image? But you should consider giving these characters a context that allows for the user to atleast create their own story if you dont have one that is dedicated for this image.

Anyways i really think highly of you and your work. you are seriously talented and i KNOW you will do well whether in this or future work.

And i only give this critique cause i really hope/want you to win because its time to get some fresh faces out there to win these things. anyways you are the next generation of legendary artists and i do conisider you (as well as other around here) to be the next Algenpflenger's, Janaschi's, Dave Rapoza's, ect)....

Keep pressing and good luck!
    Last edited by JakehC; December 18th, 2010 at 04:44 PM.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JakehC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    IN-SANE dude. Very impressed.

Thanks
    Interesting way of building up images. Great work on the pre-dom war stuff. You're one of my favs here right now. Keep up the insane work, you make life better dude!

Thanks
    I LOVE your brush strokes. It's a really nice style.

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing your process!

Thanks
    sick guy!
    To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.
    My Sketchbook-
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=190017

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-
    http://nyealexandafrayne.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 700 Posts
    Awesome work dude, really like the steps you went through when making it. Also have to agree with lolbbq said, great crit there. Keep it up bro

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Page 38 of 96 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 88 ... LastLast