Sketchbook: !! Jasper's Sketchbook: January 15th (NSFW) !! - Page 17
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: !! Jasper's Sketchbook: January 15th (NSFW) !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NickyBeats Thanks man, your right, I was pretty tired of the study when I got to the hands haha.

Ixius Yeah mang! I'll do some hand studies next

insane lemur Hey thanks very much!

witek Hahaha thanks!

Ok here is some of the work I've been doing over at CGhub for the Pre-Dominance War V challenge. I've included my steps as well for the final image.

Here are the initial character concepts, they're a little sketchy at this stage, just playing with ideas. I'll hopefully flesh them all out a little later for my portfolio.

Thanks for looking! Any questions, please ask! Crits are great too, though I'm not sure if I will be making any changes to the final piece at this point, as I just submitted it last night.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jasper_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet SB! Values are wicked!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing, wish I was at your level. keep posting man, really cool..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow dude, I'm impressed, great stuff!! Now I gotta do more studies!!!

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    inspired? yes i think i am now...... HOT SHIT BRO!!!!!!!!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff man! its great to see what you've been up too!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think you have some good stuff going on for the DW.

I do want to point out a few things that may be helpful as a critique (and feel free to take what you agree with and leave what you disagree with).

In terms of mark making i do not see economy with your strokes, it feels like to much is going on with your mark making and that results in distraction from the focal areas of the painting. Your forms look really solid and are very readable as 3d forms. But you should definitely consider variety with your marks. It can be tempting in DW to attack everything with the "1pixel brush of doom +6", but i do want to suggest incorperating some softer gradations or something to break up the monotony of all your hundreds of marks.

As far as the anatomy of the figure shooting the bazooka, the head/neck are off for me. The character's expression and posture betray the urgency of what he is engaged in. Is he supposed to be unsure and anxious or engaged and ready to kick ass? Tilt his head foward, arch his back a little. Maybe bring his center of gravity lower so that he has more visible weight considering the fact that he is shooting a bazooka almost as big as he is. Take some pictures of yourself holding your vacuum cleaner at the angle he is holding the bazooka. and you will see that there are only a few (specific) postures that are going to be comfortable. And take note that even with that your vaccum is not nearly as heavy as his gun

I think the way he is holding the gun is a bit unrealistic for the sort of backlash shooting it would have. I would like to see it either tucked under his arm or on his shoulder. For an automatic weapon (which i assume it is) of that caliber he would need far more support to sustain his shooting angle. Try to consider that shooting a gun like that requires an entire body's worth of support, which in theory needs to come primarily in the legs rather than the arms.

The monster figure in the background is superb. I would say that (for me) its by far the strongest aspect in terms of rendering. However he isnt engaged in the story of the picture. Infact i almost question whether he is the monster or allied with the protagonist. I think this is because as a character participating in the visual story you are creating, he looking straight foward out side of the frame of the picture instead of engaging with whats goin on the picture. where is his emotion? where is his reaction? Where is his rage?

I can totally see this picture working SUPER well if you wnt with the monster in the background as the main focus on the image. and used the guy as a secondary focus. One thing to consider is the juxtaposition of proportions. Maybe make the monster extreemely domineering to the composition or the protagonist exteremly domineering. Push something against the edges of the frame so that the image has motion and weight. I feel that everything in it is lookin still and lacking the emotional feeling that there is a life/death battle going on here.

Are you aiming for dynamism or subtlety? If your goal is to be dynamic then you need to push toward the readable extremes and things need to click without thinking. Image making is a language and you will want to consider what you are conveying in your picture. if your postures, colors, ect are contrary to the concept then its not going to read well. If it doesn't read in an obvious way then you cant be sure that your reader will understand. but if you are aiming for subtlety then you definitely need to do a lot in terms of concept development with this image.

Whats the background of the characters? And what in their personal stories can be reflected in their design. So we have a giant monster and a guy wearing a body suite. Is he a general? Is he a soldier? He has massive arms! Is he a cyborg? does he have gadgets? Battle Scars? utility belt? Tattoos? The monster: Is he a mutant? Is he angry? Is he upset and forlorn? Is he magical? Does he have wounds and injuries? Does he secrete mucus, slime, blood, ect? What about the scenery? Where are they? In a cellar? In a tunnel? Abandoned factory?

Are there pieces of flesh on the floor? old boxes? bullet shells? Pools of blood or slime?

whats in the background? More monsters? Dead bodies? architectural silhouettes? dust and debris?

not all of these need to be packed into an image? But you should consider giving these characters a context that allows for the user to atleast create their own story if you dont have one that is dedicated for this image.

Anyways i really think highly of you and your work. you are seriously talented and i KNOW you will do well whether in this or future work.

And i only give this critique cause i really hope/want you to win because its time to get some fresh faces out there to win these things. anyways you are the next generation of legendary artists and i do conisider you (as well as other around here) to be the next Algenpflenger's, Janaschi's, Dave Rapoza's, ect)....

Keep pressing and good luck!

Last edited by JakehC; December 18th, 2010 at 03:44 PM.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JakehC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IN-SANE dude. Very impressed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting way of building up images. Great work on the pre-dom war stuff. You're one of my favs here right now. Keep up the insane work, you make life better dude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I LOVE your brush strokes. It's a really nice style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for sharing your process!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sick guy!

To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.
    My Sketchbook-
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=190017

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-
    http://nyealexandafrayne.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work dude, really like the steps you went through when making it. Also have to agree with lolbbq said, great crit there. Keep it up bro

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man just wanted to thank you for droppin by my sb. ive only briefly skimmed through yours before but ive looked through it a little more thoughroughly and i gotta say damn man, youve made some awesome improvements over the last couple years! i love seeing that. i would just say watchout for goin too crazy with those scratchy lines. theyre awesome in places you want to bring interest in and just texture in general, but when theyre all over the place thy can be a little distracting. youve got an awesome style and a good work ethic; keep it goin and youre gonna be amazing dude cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, don't take this serious, I'm a starter noob with no experience so with crap critiques...

The bazooka/gun thingy looks weird. I think if you would carry it on your hand, singlehanded, you just wouldn't be able to carry it around. My suggestion would be: move it up his arm a bit, like a bionic weapon...

The second thing is, why does he look sideways while the enemy who he clearly must be aware of is above him? Just a little detail... I wouldn't go for the tentacle if the beast is about to swallom me...
    Related to this part is the dynamic, I just don't really feeeeel the action, the dynamic, he is just a static guy with his gun tilted up that happens to be fired (imo...)

But, otherwise, very neat concept!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the DW piece. well painted! lolbbq has made some awesome points though. Keep up the amazing work Jasper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn man, the update looks great. I really love how loose your stuff is while still reading very nicely. That's something I'm trying to get better with, being more painterly and having stronger, more confident strokes.
    Only crit is I feel like the human character in your finished piece doesn't really show much emotion at all. Body language/pose and the facial expression could really help with that, although lolbbq already explained it very well.
    Great stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ummmmm great update!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am wondering if the monster in the back ground is trapped by the monster whom the soldier is fighting? If that is the case, you could indicate that the background monster, and the soldier were allies, then the scene would make sense to me.

Thanks for sharing your step by step images!

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love you XD

Are you using alchemy in beginning stages?

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seriously stunning work dude, love these dirty strokes coming together and forming some crazy wild beautiful stuff.
    really dig your work.
    cheers

when you get to hell, tell them I sent you - you`ll get a group discount

My Sketchbook

kischisart.com
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the concept work! The abstraction in them is pretty awesome.
    However I wonder if that's the best way to present them? Cause I suppose it's a lot better to describe more when it comes to concept work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The digital on the top of the last page is gnarly man. Thanks for posting the process!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thanks for all the feedback everyone. It's kinda funny, I now hate that dw piece haha.

hücumkedi Thanks man!

GEB THanks!

Tigermilk Thanks dude, keep working at it!

Ixius STUDIES!! DO IT!! I need to do more...

NickyBeats Haha, thanks man!

NickyBeats THanks a lot dude I'll be sure to stop by your sb

lolbbq Hey man, thanks a lot. That is by far the best and most useful reply/critique I've gotten in this sketchbook, ever. Thanks for taking the time to do that, it's definitely appreciated. I have to say that I agree with every point that you've made, and the funny thing is, I was aware of a lot of those things when I was drawing this...but for whatever reason I just progressed forward without correcting them. Maybe I thought it wouldn't be noticeable or something, but when you point everything out like that it's pretty clear I need to do some work. Thanks again bro.

benlinalexander Thanks man!

eekolite Haha thanks, that's great to hear!

Darkhikari Thanks a lot dude!!

rzicko No problem!!

nyje Hah thanks!!

DefiledVisions Definitely man, thanks for stopping by!

lancer_idenoure Thanks a lot dude, I totally agree

Devotion Yeah man I agree with the image lacking some dynamics. One of the difficult requirements of the challenge was to show off both characters, so I couldn't have either one turned around or at an angle or pose that doesn't display their design characteristics well.

Beelow Hey tthanks for stopping by man!!

Untouched24 Yup yup, thanks man!!

theUNKNOWNsketcher Thanks!!

ranunkel Yeah that was an area of difficulty with this image, the relationship between the characters.

h4ns_424 Hey thanks!!

My57 Haha, nope no alchemy, just photoshop.

surus No problem man, here are some more!!

kischi THanks a lot dude, I appreciate it!

Loathsome Thanks man, it's definitely not the best way to work with character concepts. I was cutting pretty close to the deadline so I didn't have much time to flesh out the concepts completely.

jNeumann Thanks man no problem!!

Once again thanks a lot for the replies and crits everyone, means a lot!!
    Here are some shitty pencils for now, will get some more digital pieces up soon, hopefully later today.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jasper_ For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    sweet lines!! love the studies man! -thanks for dropping by my sb!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just been scanning through your sketchbook its amazing more like a portfolio

An Artist strives for Perfection, but never truly wants to find it, Creativity is Controlled Mistakes

"Carl Anthony Springer"

"those who ask a stupid question is stupid for a second. but those you do not ask the question is stupid for ever!"

MY SKETCHBOOK!!

Kamikazuh Sketchbook

T i m

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I really am respecting you as an artist. keep it up dude. next-gen legends FTW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 66