Art as a future in BELGIUM

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ok i decided to start this thread, i'll be honest first only for personal interest but then i thought that other people from belgium will have questions that are not really suited to be asked in the lounge section. And if it's about art education in begium than general questions i thought it would benefit everyone.

I think this thread should be centered on any who are willing to know about:
    -art schools and art education
    -jobs and opportunities
    all in Belgium of course.
    But in this thread any discussion about belgian art of questions about art in general are welcome^^

Thanks

Thanks
    OK just a bit about myself and my questions...
    I'm 17, live in brussels and am for 90% a self taught "artist". I'm in the european school where i follow not in a real way the art lessons, as i had too many lessons, art didn't fit well. So on my reports and in the school computer i am not registered as doing art at school.
    I don't want to flatter myself but i'm good enough at school and i speak 5 languages. Thing is i'd like to do art at the Beaux Arts. But first of all my parents say it's a waste to go in the art sector cuz u don't earn anything and with my capacities in other subjects such as languages i should do something more....intelectual, useful and that brings more money in. they say that u can find no good jobs and not enough openings for careers. My other problem is i don't even know if i do art and don't listen to my parents, if i'm gonna be accepted in a university as i "didn't do" art at school. I don't even know how to make projects or present a portfolio..........

I'm kinda lost, i know that many say better do something u like than something u don't like but earns big...thing is we are a big family and let's say that my parents did lots of hard work and sacrificed a lot for my bros and my education. So saying what the hell i don't care and do a job i like but cannot help my familly later is kinda i don't know...

So here we come my real question is to know if there is enough job opportunities in the art sector in belgium, if the would take me at the Beaux Arts without art at school, and if doing something like illustrator or designer earns enough for a relatively good living here.

Thank u for u time if u read this...^^

My sketchboooook

Thanks
    hi,
    check out this website to find out about art careers. http://www.aicad.org/career.htm
    I understand how your parents feel about art careers. It is competitive and possibly unstable.
    Do you have other gifts and ability? Can you use that gifts or abilities for another careers?
    You should do something that makes you happy and fulfilled.
    I don't live in Belgium so I don't know the situations of artists in Belgium. You can ask your art teachers about that.
    I am 17 also. So I am struggling like you're right now.

problems:
    # Resentment from peers and siblings along with social stigma about participation in the arts compels artistically talented students to hide their accomplishments.
    # Personal dreams of the pursuit of the arts as a career and the reality of making a good living are in conflict when students are deciding how best to continue their studies.

source: http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/nrcgt/orecbaum.html
    I wish you a happy future.

Last edited by nemomarlin; January 3rd, 2008 at 04:15 AM.

Thanks
    Hi,

Since I live in Belgium and roamed the possibility's provided there quite a bit, I'll give my 2 cents.
    Don't take me as an authority on art education however.

First of all I would like to say, I think it's easier to progress if you're doing something that you love to do.
    Making education decisions may seem like a really big deal now but the idea of young people graduating
    and throwing themselves on the job market at 22-23 is a typical, narrow minded belgian idea. In many other
    countries it is encouraged to develop yourself more as an individual before you dedicate yourself to the working world.
    Keep in mind that we will probably still have to work till we're , I don't know... 70 ? The economic and social conditions
    have completely changed since your parents started working so for future employers you might be an asset if
    you present yourself as a developed more matured person. Both in education and life

Now... as for art education in Belgium... I'm afraid it's slim pickings...
    First of all, it depends on what you're after, I can not comment on graphic design departments,
    comic book programs etc... anything design oriented..
    But to my knowledge there are no programs or teachers in Belgium that can teach you strong
    fundamental drawing and painting ability's at least not in the official, government sponsored programs.
    If you're serious about your own development on those levels I would focus my attention abroad.
    Our university's have good programs though.... art history might still be an option, I don't think you
    need to go look for that outside Belgium, but that's about it when it comes to something art related.

On a side note, wanting to make money, most times is the worst motivation.
    If you do something you love and become good at it, chances are money will come, don't worry about that.

Hope this helps a bit,
    Good luck

Tom

www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    Art in belgium?
    Well.. you could go into advertising, talk to Hyver about that. Or euh... advertising, might want to talk to Hyver about that. Or maybe, if you have an open mind, advertising. Some guy called Hyver can help you there.

Any other art profession and you'll need to move to a country with decent art educations. Or become a teacher and give up on drawing altogether to teach 12-22 year olds that stabbing the pencil in their skull is a bad way to start.

Good luck.

Thanks
    thanx for the replies. All u said is true^^. But i must admit i am veery disapointed. i always saw Belgium as a country with a strong artistic influence...i don't like i think advertising, and going to study abroad is impossible for me now...Sooo i guess i'll just have to study something else...-______- this sucks!!!

Thanks
    Hey,

Don't be dissapointed. the last thing I wanted with my reply was to demotivate you.
    The biggest catalyst for your art is your own motivation.

There's a lot of information readily available to you in the form of books and online resources.
    As long as you stay curious and hungry for new information, all is well.
    You could sign up for one of the artistic programs and in the mean time learn as much as you can
    on your own and by going to workshops in your spare time for example. I just wanted to
    warn you not to sign up for art school here with certain expectations, like learning how to paint,
    cause that would have surely dissapointed you.

Speaking from personal experience, I went to studio Escalier in France. Here's their website : http://studioescalier.com/

Tim and Michelle are both students of Ted Jacobs who also runs an atelier near by their studio.
    Off course, I'm in a biased position but I'm convinced their program is one of the best out there.
    Tim is the most gifted teacher I have ever met. They're extremely dedicated and wonderful people.
    For someone located in Belgium it's the best opportunity at hand.

Good luck
    Tom

www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    Don't worry u didn't demotivate me...^^ i will still paint and draw it's just that i don't think it's gonna be my job. Thou i'm seriously considering advertising. Hours ago i had some bad ideas on advertising but i checked it out and it seems ok. What usaid is true, i did for five years every wednesday two hours of art after school, and it was sooo crap. I didn't learn a thing, no teacher ever came to me to teach me how to paint or some basic things with a pencil. i just sat there and did drawings i liked in a little corner. So yep ^^ i know belgian art education....I'll c what i can do, but as it's my last school year, lots to work, going to art schools or programs now is out of option....i'll c but right now i'm just in a struggle to know if i'll do law studies or maybe advertising once i'll know more about it. But everything here in Brussels. I'd love to go to a good workshop or atelier like the one in france, but only if there was one in Belgium...
    I checked the studio escalier, it seems sooooooooo cool^^. only thing is if i plan going to university the 3 month program is impossible, only the one month program in summer. i'll c the dates and if it's possible cuz if i go i'll have to work this summer to pay the fee ;P
    ^^Anyway thanx to u all who counseled me. I'm glad i joined CA

Last edited by spartiate; January 4th, 2008 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks
    Well, there are shitloads of possibilities if you live in Belgium.
    First of all, you do not nessecarily have to work in Belgium... London is close, Paris as well... UBIsoft is french I believe? And quite a few graphic companies reside in London or the UK in general.

I will fllow this thread closely as I will be moving to Belgium within three-four years... My wife is from Antwerp.

Thanks
    ...I just came to say this will probably be one of my lasts posts as i don't ever intend to draw again. I wanna say thanx again to everyone here on conceptart who gave me councel, supported me and to those great guys who made this site. Great work everybody. Goodbye stefan

Thanks

same question

I have been a student Biochemics for the last two years
    But I ve noticed that it s so stupid that I work my ass off for something I don t see me doing for a living (and because I had no time at all to do any art stuff)
    So I quit.
    Next question is what will I do next?
    I can switch to biology and get my bachelor in 2 years and then study art (graphic design)
    or I can just start studying graphic design.
    But I m scared that if I now continue universety, I might get tired of studying, or it would be stupid to waste 2 years to get a diploma I wouldnt want to use because I want to make a carreer in art, but it seems to be so cool to do biology..
    My ultimate wet dream is to work for a fantasy movie, make monsters and costuums and stuff.
    But I think that s really not that easy to get there.
    I would be happy with.. working for a fashion magazine or something like that.
    This summer I have been doubting to do fashion, I went to an information day to talk to teachers.
    When that teacher knew I studied Biochemics and I m already in my second year, he said that I should finish that and then come back, while he shoved the entry-exam-form away from me.
    I m confused, and I dont have much time cuz if I want the switch to Biology I have to study for my re-examinations over a week-a-half.
    mmm

I don t really kno what to do.. :/

Thanks
    the bigger question is: what do you want to do?

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyver View Post
    the bigger question is: what do you want to do?
    If only I knew, I just want to do something with a future.
    but if future wasnt a problem
    I would want to do something in fashion or (fantasy)movie industry.
    I know it s very broad but I don t know.. what I have to do

Members who have read this thread: 1