"Friends Everlasting" and "Prisoners of Death"
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Friends Everlasting" and "Prisoners of Death"

I'm new, so feel free to kill me if I do something stupid/wrong. :D

I, uh, think I did the attachments correctly. >.> The one with the plant-thing and the purple-robes-guy is "Friends Everlasting"; the one with two guys is "Prisoners of Death".

Both were done in tinted sumi-e ink on watercolor paper (7x10 pad), with a black inking pen for outlines-- all of which I received from a relative for Christmas; this was my first time working with any of the materials. (The ink handles somewhat like watercolor, IMO, though it's been ages since I worked with watercolors, either.)

Things I know suck/went bad: HANDS. At least in "Prisoners"; I'm fairly happy with the hands in "Friends Everlasting" (especially since they're both aliens and I can make up whatever hands I feel like. XD;; )
    "Prisoners" doesn't really convey the dark tone I was going for; should probably have darkened more of the background.
    The green alien's right handleaf-- the shading is screwed up.
    How the scan turned some of the really light washes white. D: (This is especially bad in "Friends"; the pink background wash fills considerably more area IRL, and the white spots on the purple clothing were all tinted lightly.)

Things I really like: Pretty much everything else about "Friends", especially the way I managed to get a decent purple out of mixing the blue and pink inks; the bloodstain (and hand clutching it) in "Prisoners".

Things I want in critique: ADVICE for a girl too poor to go to art school, and is thus trying to learn all this stuff on her own. :D;; Be as harsh as you want~

EDIT: BTW, both these pieces are fanart. If anyone wants to see my references or pictures from canon, just tell me and I'll put up a couple links.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by AlanaD; January 2nd, 2008 at 01:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im a big fan of Sumi-E art, so when I see someone that does it, it makes me happy to see it again. The first one captures the inky simplicity of Sumi-E, with using as little colors as possible, while making it look good. I can tell its anime, but yet it retains a little bit of your own style instead of making another anime piece using the same thing everyone does. Anatomy wise, the leg of the first guy seems like its in an odd position and is to short. Right now, he reminds me of Potemkin from Guilty Gear with the big torso and tiny legs.

The second one though, seems like a basic watercolor instead of sumi-e. I would suggest in the future, going with less ink and colors, like you did in the first one. Also, get some reference pictures of hands and study like there is no tommorow. If that is your weakness, try your best to beat it. If your interested, PM me and I might be able to send you one of my hand tutorials I did years ago on learning how to do hands.

But hell, as you stated at the beginning of the post, you know what most of the problems you have in your art, which is a good thing, that way you know what you need to learn, and what you can fix.

FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good, you're playing with natural media.

Advice for the girl too poor to go to artschool:
    - Get lifedrawing lessons
    - Get anatomybooks
    - Read up on classical artists and movements. They did some pretty kickass stuff that's inspiring and their techniques are still applicable.
    - Practice practice practice. Manga is prolly something you really like, but it's a stylistic representation of real life by some other artist. If you want to get your own vision and grow, get back to the basics (real life anatomy). Your style will grow then by itself. Do stilllifes. Do portraits of your relatives. Do selfportraits.
    - Remember, above advice is not 'instead of'. You can draw manga and have fun, but don't forget to incorporate what you've learned. It's 'and'.
    - Go to the sketchbookforum on this site. Open a thread and start posting your stuff there. And keep updating. You'll see your growth over time, and so will the people critting you.

About the pictures:
    Compositionwise, they work nicely. The colors have been done pretty well, especially in the purple one. They both show me, however, that you need to study lightning; you have some shadows at places (half the boys face in shadow, but his friends face in is in the light) that contradict eachother about the scene.

You have some anatomyproblems (boy with the face in shadow has the upperbody of a linebacker, but small legs and keeps getting shorter the lower we look). I'm not familiar with the fanart, so perhaps some of these things i call mistakes are sane in the original story.

Overall, these show promise and are nice. Just keep practicing, posting and updating and there's gonna be massive improvement. Don't be afraid to do some of your own characters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've gotten good crits already, take care of them

It's good to see that you're aware of your problems and that you're not afraid of critique. At this site I'd say it's just a bonus to see that you're able to see at your work as you do, and it probably opens up for others.

BUT you should know that the day will come when you're either in school or you're applying for work. When doing this, especially while applying for work, you should not explain the negative parts about your work. I'm not that experienced wth applying for work, but showing that you're not satisfied with the piece of art you're displaying is just not smart. Moreso, in school, you probably will have a social relation to the other students that are supposed to help you. They will probably just say nice things about your work, so you wouldn't be discouraged to continue. Not the hard critiques that you need.

Aside from the work part, this has happened to me. My classmates usually tell me that my work isn't that bad as I see it, just because I point out things I'm not satisfied with. My idea was to open up for critiques and let them learn from my mistakes, but it worked the other way.

Uh. Sugar makes my fingers fast but my brain slow. Hope you understand something of this

Regarding the artworks and your problems. Use references, that's just good (research eh?). But don't chicken out. You won't learn from reading or watching pictures. Draw full hands on your characters. Simple as that!

And.. Welcome to CA

.cheers

Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - cghub - deviantart

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.