I'm finished, and yet, I'm not satisfied...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I'm finished, and yet, I'm not satisfied...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy I'm finished, and yet, I'm not satisfied...

Here goes my introduction...

Hello, I'm new...just joined today...(Happy New Year!) I do have an account at deviantART...(glances nervously) I wanted to join because I thought this was the place where I could get farther faster than being over at deviantART (I used to think it was an ok place when I was a naive little girl. Now, I see that it's basically a crazy popularity contest.).

I'm a high school Senior in a Drawing 2 class this year and would have been in a higher class if I had taken Drawing 1 my Freshman year. I'm planning to work in a field that involves art...perhaps something like graphic design? I'm still not sure.

-End introduction-

I need all the advice I can get.

I spent an entire week on a picture with less than 6 hours of sleep everyday (worked on it all day and pretty much all night) because it was a late Christmas present for someone. Also, research papers start after we get back from Winter Break, and I knew I had to finish within the break.

So...um...here's my picture...the first one (I used reference pictures for their poses).

...I'm sorry if the picture's crappiness burns anyone's eyes...>_>;

I haven't done any digital coloring lately because I wanted to boost up my traditional coloring skills using what I've learned in my drawing class. I decided to try digital coloring again was to see if I'd improve any (and I don't think I did at all).

I look at the coloring and I will be honest. I do like it, but I feel that it's only half of what I really would like it to be in my mind...I've been following a tutorial (done by the same artist who did the second picture that I've attached) and studying the screenshots in there to figure out which brush to use and more. For example, the hair...ugh...I spent an entire day coloring and redoing it. The skin wasn't so bad, but I still don't like the result at all. What I was trying to go for on coloring is something along the lines of the other picture there with one guy in it (done by yumix at deviantART). The skin looks much more pleasing to the eye than the skin in my picture.

I'm using a Wacom Grapphire3 4 x 6 (I think that's the size?) tablet and Photoshop 7.

Any advice on how to achieve that level of digital coloring/painting?? I've been busting my brains out trying again and again but I seem to never get there.

Sorry for the lengthy post...but I thought it was better than giving less information about what I'm trying to ask advice for.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks to me like Yumix is using more cools in the shadows than you are and they are less saturated. The lights on the other hand are so light that they are basically white and wash out detail in that area. Thus I think you may not be using as much variation as you want in tone, value, and saturation.

Look at the shadows on your guys. It is as though they are darker versions of the skin tone you were using for the light areas. I think that is where you are departing the most from where you say you want to go. To have shadows like you have made them it is as though your models are standing in a room with orange (well kind of magenta) walls and incandescent lighting. Yumix has made lighting that is a little bit more like bright flourescent lighting that is coming from a specific direction. The strange thing about the Yumix image is that the lighting seems to be from above based on the shadows on the face, but the washed out foggy area of the environment makes it seem like the light is coming from the lower left (which is more consistent with the relatively dark hair on the top of the head as opposed to the hair down near the face). It's a little strange but I guess you don't really think about it until you start questioning "just where is the light coming from?"

Last edited by arttorney; January 1st, 2008 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, I see.

I agree that the brightness of the skintones in my picture are harsh on the eyes (while I was coloring I kept wondering if it's supposed to hurt the eyes that much...ha).

So then less saturated colors would work best to get the most out of my picture? I did use a layer for each shade and put the layer setting to multiply, which might be why it's turned out that way.

Thank you for the critique, is there anything else that you see that I need to check out?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The figure on the right. Are you sure about the upper arm section of the arm that is folded? At first when I was looking, I thought that it looked like his bicep was too small comparatively. It might be just me though. Human anatomy is one of my weaker areas. (I think the "one eye" thing is probably intentional or you just haven't gotten there yet.)

Members who have read this thread: 1