Thanks

Alternative Art!

So so far, ive found it a little hard to find many alternative artists. Here on this site, i know many strive for realism and depth in their images, but sometimes it seems like a big bandwagon for everyone to hop on. I do a lot of alternative art and i was wondering if anyone else shared a passion for their work, that you know, is a bit out of the box.

a sample of my stuff

Alternative Art!

btw this text is not mine, its a writing from Mamet. and when i mention alternative, its not about the layout of the page, its the style of the drawings.

Alternative Art!

Alternative Art!
    Last edited by Chordate; January 1st, 2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: People were not realizing that the written text was not mine

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    im not a big fan of the first one, but I do like the other ones. I like the simplicity of them, but the first one, is just wierd and dark looking. Personally, I usually dont like alot of alternative art, for its just hard to understand usually.
    FUCK YOU YA PRETENTIOUS DICKS!! BAN ME!!

Thanks
    its understandable i guess, lol...i guess

Thanks
    alternative to what, fine art?
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.B View Post
    alternative to what, fine art?

alternative to the current fashion of art on this site and the art that shows up every where now days. all art is really fine art *winces* but alternative to what people view as good? maybe not the underdog of art, but less of a classic feel. Many works on here are very classic i suppose

you know what i mean?

Thanks
    You may be ascending an unpleasant pedestal

that said, the art is reasonable. apart from the textual sentiment of the first one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarfevs View Post
    You may be ascending an unpleasant pedestal
    as unpleasant as it may be, its interesting to me and i think it kinda brings up discussion of taste and what not, still i more or less want to draw out the OTHER artists who in a place where you are pressured to be realistic all the time, might be neglecting what they really enjoy, or something they are better at.

One good example is Steph Laberis, one of the featured artists. Shes a working payed experienced artist and shes damn good at what she does, and so what it seems, really enjoys her work!

Thanks
    I mean, you're propping yourself up as unique in a community replete with unique and highly talented artists. Steph is just another case in point (not trying to depreciate her talent), rather than the exception here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chordate View Post
    alternative to the current fashion of art on this site and the art that shows up every where now days. all art is really fine art *winces* but alternative to what people view as good? maybe not the underdog of art, but less of a classic feel. Many works on here are very classic i suppose

you know what i mean?

Well I ask the question because when i look at the work it has all the elements of a non linear graphic novel and in the end its still a conceptual piece of figurative art work. Now you say that its alternative to the majority of art on this site but I still see the elements of comic/graphic novel with in the work which you will find quite prevalent on this site. b.t.w i think this could make an interesting debate in the art discussion forum.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    the first one looks like a lot of the Finnish comics i read when i was younger, with the exception that the story in that, makes a million times more sense

Thanks
    Heres one comic by one of the better comic artist from Finland, Matti Hagelberg (he has won awards and is pretty famous in here)
    Alternative Art!
    Alternative Art!
    Alternative Art!
    Alternative Art!

..so chordate, your art looks pretty normal to my eyes

13. The Following User Says Thank You to xenos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xenos View Post
    Heres one comic by one of the better comic artist from Finland, Matti Hagelberg (he has won awards and is pretty famous in here)

..so chordate, your art looks pretty normal to my eyes
    really?

it looks nothing like what you see here... and so few times have i found people who cartoon here. Im not trying to climb up and be above any one out of the crowd.... im tryin to find my crowd of people who cartoon...do it well and prefer it to the more classic approach to art.

with all the materials and tools in the world today its fun to see what kinds of crazy things people are up to.

another good example was the creator of Maus! those are simple but wonderful and well thought through drawings.

i didnt know if there was anyone here that does stuff like that....as their staple, not you know...just to doodle lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarfevs View Post
    I mean, you're propping yourself up as unique in a community replete with unique and highly talented artists. Steph is just another case in point (not trying to depreciate her talent), rather than the exception here.

i do nothing to say that i am in equals with Ms.Laberis. I mention that we have a similar qualities in our work. I would place myself on one of the lower rungs of the artists community. lol ive just recently kinda discovered the way i work and ive yet had time to develop it into what it could potentially be. So i do say, i have much work ahead of me. For me to say i am the best, would be ignorant of me.

once again though,

i feel that maybe you were offended in some way, and im sorry if that happened. im not meaning to troll in any way . Im searching for the strangest newest beautiful (alternative) art out there

illustrations can be of anything, and that opens us to draw and paint in creative ways...

Alternative is up to everyone to decide, its something we can hold abstractly in our own individual minds.
    but once again...im interested to see what's in the new, what have you guys seen thats odd unconventional, but attractive to the eye.

once again though wasnt hoping to upset any one, or put my work above any one elses, i was using my work as an example. Wood block prints are often what i see as alternative art in the illustrative world, because they are more graphic and hard lined, more linear, than you see in conventional marvel or dc comics...or you know.. in most comics..

Thanks
    I think the reasons you don't see much stylized art in this site because most of the amateur artist(including me) are encouraged to study from life before getting into specific style. However, I've seen some very inspiring stylized-art in the finally finished section.
    Last edited by enrigo; January 1st, 2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    I'm a miserable cartoonist with excessively limited horizons but what's interesting me at the moment is some of the limitations you get into if you're animating- full, not cutout or anime animation. Which is interesting because if you're doing cutout animation you're just as well off getting really alternative and stylized...

Some stylizations can cut away unnecessary detail and get down to the essence of what matters in an image, but some is just getting rid of important structure (or worse, getting rid of effort and caring). Of the pictures you showed, I liked the German soldier one the most. The dragon didn't strike me as THAT stylized, just using shortcuts, and in the top one, the typos and drawing crudeness threw me completely and caused me to immediately think it 'bad', not 'stylized'. Funny thing is, that very first image setting the scene with two silhouettes at a table was great! But all the crude eyes staring straight out at me (but not with a sharp gaze direction, just sort of generally at me), I got real turned off.

I learned in a period of character art-jamming on the notorious 4chan that you cannot have a character staring straight at the viewer without provoking a powerful, usually very negative reaction. It's like in movies, you almost always see the eyes clearly but the eye contact isn't for you, you're not really 'there'.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Chordate, drop the term "alternative art" from your vocabulary. It's a waste of a good word. There is art. Period. You do art. I do art. The rest of the free-roaming amoeba floating in this hell-hole do art. All kinds of art, in all kinds media and approaches.

Basically, we don't care. It's your thread, you post in it what you want. You don't have to defend it, excuse it, explain it or even cook it in butter before-hand. If you ask for comments, we'll make them. Some will be nice, some will be rude, some will be helpful, and some will be the equivalent of a restroom on the turnpike after a Dead concert.

You know what you were after when you executed a certain piece, and you know where your abilities lie. We don't. We're guessing. So...in the entire mess that ends up in your thread, just take with you what makes sense in context, and ignore the trolls. Unnerstan'?

Love the smarmy characters in your first piece, btw...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Chordate, the only person here who seems to be putting pressure on you to conform is you. Do what seems right to you, and be cautious not to alienate the majority if you also wish to receive helpful feedback from that majority.

Also, you should know that many of the artists here feel just as you do. Realism is often seen by the fine arts community as past its time, overused, uncreative, a product of selling out, blah blah blah. These artists didnít get here by conforming, but by doing what seemed right to them in the face of a snobbish and resentful majority.

Striving to be nonconformist is like reaching for a fistful of air. Doing so brings up images of highschool kids who declare that they want to be nonconformists, just like all of their friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Chordate View Post
    Wood block prints are often what i see as alternative art in the illustrative world, because they are more graphic and hard lined, more linear, than you see in conventional marvel or dc comics...or you know.. in most comics..
    Sounds like an art history class would do you some good. Also, if you get the chance, take some classes in graphic design. Itíll make your layouts so much stronger.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by enrigo View Post
    I think the reasons you don't see much stylized art in this site because most of the amateur artist(including me) are encouraged to study from life before getting into specific style. However, I've seen some very inspiring stylized-art in the finally finished section.

i still feel that a good foundation in realism is a good start for all artists, i still sketch still lifes and things. Its a good way to better understand light and space and form.

Any who, i feel that alternative art may be you know a pseudonym for contemporary art. What is new. Either way i started this thread looking for different unique styles. so far ive not really had any image replies D: or links, or names, and i really do love those illustrations posed earlier. That kinds stuff is fun and relaxing.

(thks for the critiquing btw)

oh but yes!, i found some pics of people i really like and a link to another artists...sorry they are thumbs.

http://www.illustrationweb.com/illus...artist_id=3219

http://www.laurieluczak.com/index1.html

http://mrbiggs.com/

Thanks
    Don't try to hard to be 'new,' it's a fruitless effort - readme

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by serhc View Post
    Don't try to hard to be 'new,' it's a fruitless effort - readme

only if you give up ^_^

im merely looking to the horizon with excitement. i know all art is "art" but it doesnt mean we discover new art, to fill the catalog :3

also reading your posts, i found that you disdain modern art...or cute stuff or scribbly drawings... im sorry you dont like cute things, modern art or things like that, but as a fellow artist you should still respect that kind of work. Respecting art promotes a more sound place for artists to work and develop. i am not a fan of anime or of many cute things, but i respect that they have their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post

Sounds like an art history class would do you some good. Also, if you get the chance, take some classes in graphic design. Itíll make your layouts so much stronger.

Im in college and ive had many classes in art history. I enjoy art history, i enjoy art as im sure every here does ^_^ as for graphic design : / its not my major so as much as i do want to get into those classes, i tend to do more one on one talking with my teachers about that kind of thing.

oh but yes....any interesting artists yet that are "in the new"
    Last edited by Chordate; January 1st, 2008 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks
    more of Brian Biggs because hes awesome ;x

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 766 Posts
    Man I like your style, very frenchy...I guess, alot of contemporary stuff happening in France and europe basically looks liek that. taht...alternative...dunno...I think its better to stay away from labels and do your thing.

Ps..listen to seedling and ilaekae...ages of wisdom in their words.

Thanks
    I'm also a fan of "grownup" comics which I'm guessing is loosely what you're referring to...

A lot of that stuff's been highlighted in europe since the 80's, with very mixed art styles and often absurd, borderline-surreal stories. You should check out european comics if you're into that sortof stuff...

Alternative Art!

Alternative Art!

Alternative Art!

Alternative Art!
    - Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Whyatt Thrash For This Useful Post:

BANNED_For_POOPY_PANTS Guest
    Hey Chordate,

First off, props on your artwork in this thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=114510.

I pretty much agree with you on the fact that a lot of the artwork here, albeit highly technical and full of depth, really is kinda the same thing over and over again. It's almost as if 'concept art' is slowly becomming a genre like anime or manga. That said, I still wish I could draw half as well as the guys and gals here.

I disagree with you on the notion that unique artwork is hard to find on CA.org. There are probably hundreds of thousands of pieces on this site, and thousands (or hundreds) of artists/members. You're bound to find something new and original but you have to put in the time to single out the artists.

That's what these forums are all about.. to me at least.

Happy hunting.

Thanks

31. The Following User Says Thank You to entdroid For This Useful Post: