I'm new and i need some help! XD
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I'm new and i need some help! XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm new and i need some help! XD

Hey! I'm new here, and I'm pretty excited about posting.

I figured I'd roll around here because i've been working on this piece for a couple of hours... and i realize that i am horrible at backgrounds.

I need some good advice. XD

What should I do to this background? It's obviously not completed, but i have the sketch out and i dont know where to go from here.

thanks for all the help!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool idea.

Some kinda lighting scheme will help pull the image and the backgroud together - right now they feel like seperate entities.

If this is a Terran(earth) 'scape, things tend to become more bluish as the distance between the object and the viewer increases(why the mountains are 'purple').

However, is the forest has a dense canopy, that will color the rest of the scene too(green, or orangy in autumn).

Try blocking in with a bigger brush - the strokes right now are small and timid, and the backround color is leaking through.

Just figure out what you want out of the piece, and the enviro should start to shape up nicely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniGoth View Post
    Cool idea.

Some kinda lighting scheme will help pull the image and the backgroud together - right now they feel like seperate entities.

If this is a Terran(earth) 'scape, things tend to become more bluish as the distance between the object and the viewer increases(why the mountains are 'purple').

However, is the forest has a dense canopy, that will color the rest of the scene too(green, or orangy in autumn).

Try blocking in with a bigger brush - the strokes right now are small and timid, and the backround color is leaking through.

Just figure out what you want out of the piece, and the enviro should start to shape up nicely.
    mmm.. good idea. I usually have a set 'left or right' lighting, but i wanted to try a softer lighting in this piece. i guess it through me off though, cause now i have no idea where the lighting is coming from in the forest. XD;;;

but thanks so much for the advice! I'll definitely try some bigger brushes and such.

Do you have any advice on what i should do with vegetation and foliage?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look at photos of vegetation, etc. and find out what they actually look like, then stylize them in whatever way you want from there. Also, does the subject have no arms? I'm confused. Also, you seemed to have detailed the picture before putting in other main forms, do the whole and make the image tighter from there.

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Available for freelance
    Email: ambientchroma [at] gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherRain View Post
    Look at photos of vegetation, etc. and find out what they actually look like, then stylize them in whatever way you want from there. Also, does the subject have no arms? I'm confused. Also, you seemed to have detailed the picture before putting in other main forms, do the whole and make the image tighter from there.
    Ohh, ok, thanks!

And it only looks like she has no arms because her outfit is all black and her arms are by her side. ^^;

And i see your point about making the image tighter. I guess i do people so often that i was easier just to finish her and then to work on the background. I barely do scenic backgrounds, so i guess this time it's coming around and biting me in the butt. XD;;;

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.