first image post

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

first image post

hey, this is my first attempt at colouring in photoshop, i've been trying to find a tutorial on colouring qith the programme, unfortunately i've only come across cell style colouring.

this character is a female demon, she wears a mask, for her body i would like painted kind of look, alot like someone's art i saw here earlier i believe the name was aleksi- they did spawn. the mask i would like to be the cell style just because i think it might pop out next to the painted style of the body, think dark and demonic for the colours and such thats the feel i'm going for.

if anyone knows of any good tutorials on colouring in photoshop leave me a note, crits are welcome. thanks![first image post

first image post

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shes suposed to be female? Vause her proportions are all male proportions, and she seems to be missing some very effeminite parts. :p

Don't just practice. Also Practice the right things, the right way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, female demon :p, don't think breasts or any secondary sexual parts humans have, gender in the 'demon kingdom' i created in my fictional piece is only for show, they don't reproduce the way humans do etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If its for show, i dont see any femmine aspect at all. All that makes things is confusing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that the fact she has no female anatomy is confusing. Her proportions are even maleish from a quick glance o.0 You seem to want to keep her anatomy the same though, so another problem I see is the way she's holding her staff in the second pic(if your using it too) doesn't seem like a plausible way to hold a staff. Her hand should be more so wrapping around it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why can't a female demon have a body of a human male or a male demon stand in a similar pose to a female human?
    The proportions and anatomy look more male than female but it's a demon- as enigma said they don't necessarily have to have the same genitalia and even necessarily the anatomy of humans.
    Personally I don't think it's that confusing to look at.
    One of the technical problems that I do see is that her feet in the front-on picture look like they're pretty wobbly- the ankle on the forward foot looks like it's about to snap.
    I think that they're supposed to be birdlike feet right? I think that you'd have to have the bottom of the foot pretty much parallel to the bottom of the page to make it look right- make it look as though the foot is on a fairly level ground for her posture.
    All you'd have to do to fix it would be to straighten it up a bit.

Anyway, that's just my opinion

Chiba

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    she has a v-taper any male bodybuilder would be proud to have. A kind of v-taper that no woman has. Ok, it IS a demon but it still bugs me. Just voicing an opinion.

Wanted: 30 chinamen and a zeppelin for an elaborate practical joke... can you help?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the main reason i posted the image here was for help with colouring it in photoshop, true i asked for crits, the the crits aren't at all constructive, its the reduntant complaining about the femininity of the character.

I truly don't understand what is so confusing, and if does confuse you then that means the character works- its a demon it does not reproduce like the human species does and genitilia or any sigs of gender differenciaion is only for 'looks', its my rendition of what a female demon looks like, she does NOT have to look like the normal female, big whoop if she has broad shoulders, deal with it, thats the way she looks plain and simple

anywaaaay....

WildSpruceMoose- i did notice that she was holding the staff kind of funky, i didnt realize it until i had posted it here though :p but yea, the front view does need some tweaking, the arm that isn't holding anything also looks a bit off

Chiba- The feet aren't bird feet, actually i have no idea what they are, truth is i only put them there because i didn't want her to seem amputated when i posted it, i really havent thought of a design for the feet, i have thought about making the feet characteristic of a humans, but i'm not sure yet....
    anyway thanks for the input

i'll prbably post another version of this later

p.s: if anyone finds an actual photograph pf a real female demon feel free to show me, then perhaps i'll consider what your saying about her gender traits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by enigma
    p.s: if anyone finds an actual photograph pf a real female demon feel free to show me, then perhaps i'll consider what your saying about her gender traits.
    LOL man lol
    Good job personally i don´t have any problems with that issue actually the posse is rather femenine so just by seening that, and reading your explanation, things should be clear,
    I agree with all the other critics about the feet, and all.

Ps the staff could be held that way i tested the pose with a wood stick it is just that you missed to put the other three fingers wraping on the staff =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, if she is a female demon you need to communicate that. No one will ever know unless you give her human female attributes. So its choice really, make her mroe femine or drop the fact that she is a 'female' demon.

What would you mean by a female demon anyway? Wouldnt a female demon be the essense of femminty? Perhaps in a vain way?

The coloring is coming along nicely, but its hard to crits with olny such a small section done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm, thanks for the reply maxetormer, i too tested the staff pose after you said u did, i'll have to tweak those fingers

pencil soldier, i don't think i really need to communicate she's a female demon, in the actual comic i designed her for the main character that battles her did not know she was female until much later, she does not need to be the 'essenseof femminity' as u say, by the way who says the essence of feminity in demon terms isn't exactly what she looks like? its like how the majority of people in the u.s seem to believe that the way a woman should look is like that of the supermodel on a magazine

look ppl, its a 'she' plain and simple, whhhyy must we keep debating about this? do u poke at frogs with sticks and figure since the female frog does not have a slender waistline it can't be female? or because one dogs bark seems deeper than another's it must be male? ...so what's the difference?
    just give it a rest

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all to answer your initial reason for posting here, sumaleth.com has tons of tutorial links. if you have trouble finding it , do a google search for sumaleth link archive. the dodge and burn tools are your best friend when coloring line art. And i'm not to sure if thats line art. There seams to be alot of tonal gradients. I would suggest laying down solid base color layers then layering textures and gradiation with varying opacity.
    As far as the whole sex thing is concerned, does a male demon have to be the essennce of masculinity? The body proportions may not say female but the lines of movement in both drawings screams GIRL! Lots of softly arcing lines that gently intersect.
    I really like the shilohuette. Especially on the horns, very organic.
    The right arm in the front pose could be held that way and actually i think it may actually facillitate rotation or twirling of the staff. Any martial arts paople know?
    I disagree about the left arm , i think it looks limp...well rendered but limp.
    Im kinda confused about whats happening on the back. Whats that red thing? is it a tattoo? annd if so whats that thing below it?
    Anyways I like your style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for thr reply Scrubbin Bubbles, i'll be sure to check that site out

the thing on the back, its kind of like a glass material, its just a design in the armor like formation- the thing below's going to be another formation, a little darker than the rest of the armor

thank you all for u're input , i'll post an updated version sometime probably in the next two weeks, should have a little more colouring done on it

Last edited by enigma; September 26th, 2003 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the main confusion over gender here is the breadth of her shoulders compared to her waist. I'm not saying you should change anything here, just noting how strongly people attach values of masculinity to a wide breadth of shoulders.

everything else about the drawing seems generally feminine. her pose is femine, the lines are generally feminine. The arms and legs aren't overly muscled like a males would be.

My only real crit is the mask seems pretty flat. There few clues to tell us that it _is_ a mask, and not a face that you spent far less time on than the rest of the drawing.

I'm having trouble deciding if the mask extends down over the shoulders from the chin or if it tapers back to the neck before going down.

I really like the top picture of the demon from behind. very feminine pose with good feeling of depth and foreshortening. You might add a touch of detail at the base of the spikes. I'm not sure if they come out of her back or if they are attached to a shirt/torso armor?

anyways, my $0.02 take it or leave it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.