Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: migraines

Thanks

migraines

I was wondering if someone here have severe migraines and what type of treatment works for you? I'm currently taking imitrex and relpax, but it seems to only dull the pain for a short time.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear Rich.
    My brother went through migraines for the better part of six months. They checked his eyes, they check for tumors - all sorts of things. They didn't find anything.

I might check your diet, could even be an allergy.

Thanks
    stay off the computer for a while and dont concentrate to hard on other art stuff either. Take a short vacation and hope you recover.

Thanks
    Caffeine dulls the pain a lot. I have some official medication somewhere but I prefer coffee. Everyone has different triggers for migraines, mine are caused by spending too much time staring at bright lights. (My computer).

Sometimes before I get a migraine I see auras. I see little white triangles or dots everywhere. It's pretty cool but it makes it hard to read.

Thanks
    have you been to your dentist recently? i used to get migraines about 3 times a week for about 4 months till i went to the dentist and was told i need braces. once they were on i havent had em since. may be something to look in to. from what ive heard your jaw alignment can cause them.

and ya caffiene can really help.

Thanks
    I have suffered from migraines for nearly 25 years. They seem to come in waves that can last up to a month, and then I can go for several months headache free. I take maxalt, a medication in the same family as imitrex. Maxalt provides long term relief for isolated headaches, but when I am having a longer session, the medication provides only temporary relief. I also take a beta blocker (atenolol) which I believes reduces but does not eliminate the frequency.

My headaches are accompanied by vision aberations such as fuzzy holes in my field of vision, and buzzing in my ears. Oddly, I never suffer from nausea, which is a common symptom of migraine for many.

They sound like a bitch, don't they! The reality is that I have learned to live with them. I just carry on regardless. I don't change my plans because of them, and I don't let them stop me from enjoying life. When I look around and see the shit that some people have to deal with, I count myself lucky.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks

thank you

its frustrating when I have a deadline for work and I have an episode. I know that some people have it worse, but it helps a lot hearing the methods that makes it easier for people to cope with this. I find the nausea and sensitivity to light the most aggravating. I really appreciate the help and if you guys find any other ways please post.

Wooly ESS: 25 yrs is a long time and I respect the fact that you learned to accept this as a part of your life. I guess Im still in denial...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody_knows View Post
    I was wondering if someone here have severe migraines and what type of treatment works for you? I'm currently taking imitrex and relpax, but it seems to only dull the pain for a short time.
    Could also be the E101 or what they are called.
    They are nasty and mean.
    Natriumglutamat (as it's named in sweden) is one of the worst and most common.

Try too eat more natural food (even ecological food should be taken in consideration).
    Good luck!
    Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks
    I have/am in a similar situation, dont know if the same, but i have strong sensitivity to light too, and nausea.

Do you have altered sleeping habits?, like staying up working all night and waking up early, sleeping in different hours in different time lapses, sleep during the day,etc, drink too much coffee?
    May sound silly but i have developed terrible sleeping troubles as well with coffee issues during the last year, and im seeing the consequences with the headaches.I have been told the first thing i should do is change my habits or im screwed for good, So knowing what is causing the problem is very important.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Yeah, just as an experiment, you might want to try some changes.

Posture: Are you leaning forward, forcing your neck muscles to carry the burden of your head weight, rather than the straight up spine? Is your neck always tense? Is your jaw tense?

Watch out for acidic foods because they can cause tension at the base of the skull if you have a sensitivity. And tension tends to spread. Coffee is an acidic food, so if you can get your caffeine via green tea, that might work better.

Also, stress and anxiety causes muscle tension, which again, can easily spread from your neck to your head. Caffeine exacerbates anxiety. Exercise and fresh air, deep breathing, reduce it. High cholesterol foods also can lead to inflammation problems, so avoid them (shellfish, shrimp, red meat, egg yolks)

Migraines also seem to have an inflammatory root. You might want to try an anti-inflammatory diet for a while, cutting out sugar and salt and white breads and red meat.

You might want to try cutting out dairy products, milk, cheese, pizza, etc, for a week. Go on a strict chicken and rice diet with water to see if you can clean out your system. Spinach and broccoli good. A bit of tuna. Celery, carrots, unsweetened sweet potatoes... Drink lots of water. Avoid pre-squeezed juices (they sit around and vats and contain a great deal of allergens) like tropicana and all those.

Are you exercising enough? Walks outside?

Do you need glasses? (eye strain?)

best of luck
    kev
    Last edited by kev ferrara; December 30th, 2007 at 02:01 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody_knows View Post
    I find the nausea and sensitivity to light the most aggravating.
    Yeah man - that sounds exactly like I would get. I guess from about 15 - 19 yrs old (I'm 30 now) was the worse period for me, and I'd say they were weekly. I get them a lot less frequently now, but they still hit me like a truck when I get them. Once a migraine sets in for me, it's a done deal, and I used to get them so bad I used to vomit during every one. I still get those monster migraines, but now they are only a few times a year.
    Back in my teens they tried experimenting with biofeedback on me (which I can give you more details if you are interested) but I found that fairly ineffective as well.
    I guess my only comforting words are that they did get better for me. They seem less intense for the most part, and much less frequent. I feel for you - I have lost countless hours and days of work, being completely crippled by the pain. Hope you shake it soon -s*a

Thanks
    I get migraines. For me they are usually triggered by sinus troubles, which are triggered by allergies. I can prevent a migraine most of the time by cutting off the allergy/sinus troubles with antihistamines and sudafed, but sometimes it's just determined to turn into a full-blown migraine. Once that happens, there's not much I can do but wait it out. A stack of ibuprofen lessens the pain and really stretching out my neck is surprisingly helpful for short periods of relief. But mainly it's the usual- lay down and stay out of the light. Caffeine actually makes it worse for me in the long run, but I'm very sensitive to caffeine, so YMMV.

I'm one of the lucky ones that knows where they come from, and I know others who suffer much more than I do when they get them. They can be so debilitating. So good luck to everybody who suffers them at all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Linzoy View Post
    Caffeine dulls the pain a lot. I have some official medication somewhere but I prefer coffee. Everyone has different triggers for migraines, mine are caused by spending too much time staring at bright lights. (My computer).

Sometimes before I get a migraine I see auras. I see little white triangles or dots everywhere. It's pretty cool but it makes it hard to read.
    Sorry, but my guess is because you drink a lot of coffee or caffeine and then go some time without drinking it, kind of like a drug addiction. I know this used to happen to me and I stopped drinking stuff like that and I don't get the shakes or anything (random headaches) as much.

I got migraines when I was younger and when I went to the doctor he said it was because of posture. Bad posture was causing the muscles in my neck and head to tighten like crazy. Got some massages and muscle relaxers, then straightened my posture and I've felt fine ever since.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moopuff View Post
    Sorry, but my guess is because you drink a lot of coffee or caffeine and then go some time without drinking it, kind of like a drug addiction. I know this used to happen to me and I stopped drinking stuff like that and I don't get the shakes or anything (random headaches) as much.

I got migraines when I was younger and when I went to the doctor he said it was because of posture. Bad posture was causing the muscles in my neck and head to tighten like crazy. Got some massages and muscle relaxers, then straightened my posture and I've felt fine ever since.
    Not at all. I usually buy decaf coffee. I don't get the shakes and stuff but if I drink it all the time I get depressed, it causes me to grind my teeth, it's so acidic it can cause stomach aches, and it makes my teeth yellow. There's nothing wrong with caffeine in moderation, if you drink it all the time it causes problems. There's nothing better than caffeine for getting rid of migraine pain and haziness. My migraine medication has caffeine in it also, I think it also has excedrin or something in it but I don't really need it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moopuff View Post

its true that once the caffiene wears off that the migraine can come back, but always drinking caffiene and then not having any wasnt a cause for mine. I never have coffee, dont drink soda unless its the occasional rum in coke, and tho i drink a lot of tea, most is decaf.

when i get migraines i start to see stars. little blinking sparkles that dance around my field of vision for a moment or two. the majority of my migraines are companied by nausea, sensitivity to sound and light, and feeling extremly achy all over. i sometimes get sensitive to touch. its more like an extreme discomfort. everything touching you seems to stand out more.

the last time i had one was about 2 weeks ago. i was at work working a register when i felt it come on. i normally dont lose or get blurry vision but this time i was. it didnt help that it was a very busy day at work (trader joes) so there were a lot of kids running around, and a few of the managers had come to wearing bells and singing holiday songs. even customers started to look worried at me cause i was barely hanging on, but i really wanted to finish out the hr i had on the reg before i threw in the towel. i started to get bad nausea and felt dizzy and had someone take over on the reg and went home. worst part was having to walk home. i live close by to my work so i normally just walk. theres a sheriff station not a block away from work and at the cross walk there was a cop sitting there waiting on a green light. now by this point i cant see out of my left eye, nausious as hell, dizzy so i cant walk straight, and it was already dark out so it just made the whole vision thing even worse. i must have looked drunk to the cop cause when he got the green light he drove straight and parked right away, when it was my turn to walk he started moving again as i passed him, and even turned his lights on me, which very nearly made me vomit. after that he just took off without a word and i got home and passed out with an icepack on my head. not a good time.

Thanks
    I suffer from migraines, allergies AND asthma. From what I understand, if you get migraines - you also have allergies; if you have asthma, you also have allergies.

I've often thought that if it weren't for athletics, I'd have spent almost all my life in a hospital bed!

Anywhoos, I use to suffer from a migraine at some part of the week all through my childhood. When I was 18, I had to get some orthodontic work done and that included a jaw operation that moved back and recentered my lower jaw. For years after, I never dealt with a migraine!

Have since though.

There is no exact trigger. It's really individual. Even at my healthiest, I experience migraines; granted, they're rare (very) during that time, but I still get 'em.

What you can do if they are so debilitating is talk to your doctor. There are means to cut 'em off at the pass - of course, that means taking a prescribed drug of some sort and it might mean nasty side of nausea. I personally don't and have just watched my nutrition and made sure I remain hydrated. I still get 'em and I just use a migraine as a way to measure my stress and health.

I get a migraine - means I'm either too stressed or too godawful out of shape. And that means to lighten up and get my ass moving!

Really wish you the best in taking care of yours, though. I do feel your pain.

Thanks
    My husband has them and so far they seem to be an allergenic nature. Every time when weather is changing and a wind changes direction, it brings some new allergens in the air and causes migraine in him. For mild cases Claritin might help, but more possible one will need a stronger medicine, prescribed by doctor. His doctor prescribed Amitriptyline, it is more often used to treat depression, but it is prescribed for migraine in some cases. It seems to work. Migraines are much rarer.

Thanks
    It might be your insane sleep schedule! I mean, 5am team fortress?! hehehe. Was good fun though...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    My husband gets migraines triggered by changes in atmospheric pressure and MSG. A stiff dose of caffiene at the early stages of the migraine is usually enough to minimize his misery, thank goodness. Find your triggers and treatments that work for you, and migraines can be a managable annoyance.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    I still get migraines every now and then when my eyes get too stressed from too much close up work (or light sensitivity). They used to be very bad though when I had my wisdom teeth. Felt as if a twelve inch nail was being jammed into my brain and some days I couldn't focus on doing anything at all and just wanted to lay in bed, under my blankets in the dark. After I had my wisdom teeth removed, the debilitating migraines went away.

If the diet thing doesn't work, I'd go to a dentist to see if the teeth aren't causing some of the pain too.

Thanks
    For my cronic migrains I take Topamax, an anti-seizure medication to prevent them but if i get them anyway i take Imitrax or Axert. Best thing to do is ask your doctor (man i sound like a commcerial)
    BUT if you want a non medication way of getting rid of it i sujest a HOT bath in a dark bathroom then immediatly going in and laying down with an ice pack on the side that hurts. Sleep is usualy the key to get rid of them - at least in my experiance.

Doubt it helps but im trying =)
    Mystress of shadows "Always Tease Never Please"

Art is like a butterfly, Beautiful and free but it is also like a scorpion poisonous and nasty to those who dont know how to handle it.

EveningKiss Labrynth Sketchbook

EveningKiss myspace

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    My daughter and I both get migraines; she gets the horrible headaches, but mine mostly affect my vision; a little c-shape of jagged lights that gradually get bigger until the only way I can see anything is not to look directly at it.

For both of us, it's triggered by a release from stress. You know; worry over, now fall in a heap. Somebody once suggested that I take a leaf of Feverfew between two slices of bread once a day to prevent it,- but I tried it, and feverfew tastes absolutely foul, so I don't think I'd recommend it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    make sure you are drinking lots of water, if you are, then it might be contact lenses. if it's not that, read the wikipedia on migranes.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    I think that the most effective way to eliminate the headache is sleeping...

at least it works for me,,,

Thanks
    I get really bad ones. Before I got treatment I could have one for a month straight and have to be completely in the dark practically the whole time- no light or sound. As far as we know- mine are triggered by my weak eyes, (I have 20/20 vision, they just take a long time to focus)and my low serotonin levels -that part is a biggie because it constricts the blood vessels in brain. (You can get an adrenal test done, it's easy, they just test a saliva sample and it's only 100 bucks, and that will tell you where your neurotransmitters levels are at among other things. It's actually kind of cool stuff to know) The first migraine that I got, that I was aware of, was as bad as a stroke. My doctor prescribed Tramadol which worked really well for the first two bad bouts of migraines that I had (they come and go over the years) but I'm having another bout and it's not working any more. As soon as the holidays are over I'm going to ask her about other treatment. That drug is supposed to help your serotonin but it can also be addictive. I didn't technically get addicted to it (just not my thing to be dependent on something) but when I try to get off it after taking it for long stents, I have to taper down for quite a while, otherwise it feels like I have the worst flu ever. :p

Thanks
    Being on the rag can cause them too, that might be the problem

I kid! But I do get them at that time of the month. I also sometimes get light-triggered ones from bright sunlight or from watching TV or movies with the room lights off for too long, especially if I'm too warm as well. My eyeballs feel like they're being squeezed and hurt when I move them or look at light, and I get nausea really bad, that's the worst part for me. Water and caffeine and sleep help (I've found I can sometimes head them off with a big dose of caffeine when I feel one coming on). You can also eat some ginger for the nausea, it works wonders - the crystalized stuff from Trader Joe's is awesome.

Thanks
    I get migraines on occasion, it apparently runs in my family because both my aunty and mother get them two. Though mine aren't nearly as serious as theirs.

I start getting spots in my vision - y'know like when someone takes a photo and the flash leaves spots behind and if i don't stop what i am doing immediatly and just chill out and close my eyes it rapidly descends into a fully fledged migraine. But if i just spend 20 mins or so with my eyes closed so I'm not concentrating on the spots of light i will be fine, i can listen to music which doesn't make anything worse as long as there are no bright lights and i keep my eyes closed I can prevent them.

Thanks
    For me, what alleviates migraines are caffeine, relaxation, temple & neck massage (find the a spot around your head that triggers pain and gently massage it or get someone to do it for you) and sleep.

Triggers can be anything from stress, stress release, dehydration, any amount of alcohol or nicotine (even being in a smoky room), sleep deprivation, heavy lifting, any weight on my back or shoulders etc etc.

But when it comes to migraines, triggers and "cures" are highly personal I think. You're just gonna have to be conscious about what you're doing at all times that worsens/alleviates your condition. Once you're aware of what you're doing, you can at least learn to live with them.

Good luck!
    - Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    ...and that new models being produced are clear of problems. Surely that may be the case -- but we need something to blame this stabbing eye pain on.
    - Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Hey Rich, you got it too?
    Listen, what works for me:

1. NO STRESS

2. HEALTHY FOOD

3. NO STRESS

Yeah, mostly it's caused by stress.
    I'm also learning to take things easy, bro.

Best regards,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast