Sketchbook: The Book of Void

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Book of Void

Hail, young reader! So the fate brought you here, so the fate nailed your eyes to these dark pages of the mysterious Book of Void!

This ancient book was formed in same time with our whole world by ancient Gods, now forgotten in depths of time. Many wise men had a chance to read it, but they never agreed upon this book's contents, because the book is a doorway into void where objects from various times and areas meet each other chaotically and if you leave the book's pages they will never be same again.

But for now, enjoy your time here, yell into the emptiness of space your message, but know, that it won't stay unnoticed, Master of the Void will answer all your questions, whining and observations.

Last edited by Jonish; December 29th, 2007 at 06:40 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vision One - What grew and was ripped off

Young man in front of you smiles into screen of modern machine with large glowing square area and draws something on his desk. Below his desk lies opened box with written words: "Wireless Scroll Tablet". And then from the center of the glowing area, suddenly moves towards you apple, and then garlic! Both continuously changing their existence duration.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Elloe. Your colours are good but seem a little washed out. If you want to blend use different opacities.

lats

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ped454 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ped454

Thank you, Ped. I'll try it next time I draw something, I hope that it will be today already!

Strange powers drag you through the black tunnel until you see mysterious Book of Void awaiting you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vision One continues

Suddenly garlic disappears and you seen only depth of space and one walnut shell, stolen from young man's rat's cage.

Strange powers drag you through the black tunnel until you see mysterious Book of Void awaiting you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vision One continues

Walnut shell slowly turns white and transforms into tissue... Well... the right part of shadow seems to be weird, what do you think, readers?

Last edited by Jonish; January 11th, 2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Well... It wasn't garlic at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't really crit the shadows, as i dont know how to fix it. But i must say that the paper look amazing!
    Hope to see more things from you!

Keep it up!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Carbono For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Carbono

Thank you a lot, Carbono! I was quite exhausted, when I finished it around 3 am. Sad thing is that I used that square texture because I didn't know how to paint little point perforations around some edges, they were in sort of grid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, nice start for a sketchbook: one suggestion: the colors of the objects you have drawn seem too "flat". They look only like they have their local color on them... where are the other colors (from the ambient), the light reflections and such? keep on posting man!

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GriNGo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

GriNGoLoCo

Thank you, another thing I'll try to focus! Fortunately I have some great books so there will surely be enough information for dumhead like me! I really didn't count with any ambient light, nor that the bulb is a bit yellow. I'm afraid that it has something to do with that I can't understand, how do people choose absolutely different colours, like yellow or red, to the blue object's surface.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vision One continues

The tissue you saw in front of you rolls up into shape of a tea cup.

This was meant to be a speedpaint, after 15 minutes it looked promising, but then I stopped thinking and got stuck at the shadow at outer wall of cup for couple of hours. So now it's ordinary study, I tried to focus mainly on ambient light, because I think that it was criticized a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a repley

Hey Jonish
    Your stuff looks kewl. working with shadows seems easy for you so maybe you might try to paint something wider with more lightsources like your working desk or so? or some building you see outside your window?
    Your paper is really good worked out, something i never really tried because i feared for it being to time consuming. i hope i didnt make to many spelling mistakes

keep up the good work

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Piecemaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Piecemaker

Thanks a lot! Sorry for late response, somehow I skipped the "discovering phase" and always thought that I already read your reply! Sometimes I try to paint mountains and sky outside, but until today I never liked my work. So here it is!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vision two - What ancient gods shaped and abandoned

You feel sort of shock, crushing all around you, whole reality collides and then, new reality slowly grows around you. It's like a dawn of a new age.

Last edited by Jonish; February 1st, 2008 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Some stupid grammar mistakes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Jonish,
    great studies! I'm quite amazed by the paper, well use of shadows.
    ...how about mixing in some more colors/contrast?
    I've read that this point was already criticized quite often... mmh, how about if for training purposes you tried laying some colorful gradient layers on top of your original painting, and tried to blend them in so that it fits well?
    I like to do that, it helps quite well and is fun xD

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mellowpurple For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies, can't wait to see more,

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cupidsart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mellowpurple, cupidsart

Thanks a lot!

I really don't feel colours as much as I should, because I never liked painting so I started with it when I got tablet. I don't understand that idea with gradient, how could help, if I lay... for example, brown-red gradient over the tissue?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no problem, I'll try to explain~
    well, light consists of a whole spectrum of colors. This may not always be clear to us, but it's there. Uhm... this maybe a bad example, but if I eg. look at my window-frame right now: it's black. But it's not only black, it also reflects all the surrounded colors, because of the light that is reflected by these things. So when I look at the frame, I do not only see black - I see the red of the wallpaper and the purple of the curtains mixing in. And I also see a mixture of the yellowish sunlight coming from the blue sky which partly shines directly at the frame, and it partly reflected by the white snow outside and so also influencing the frame color.
    And it is this mixture which needs to be visible in paintings as well.

I personally like to do that with gradients, masks and the several brush settings/modes in photoshop, because I think thats the easiest way.
    So when laying a colored layer over the original painting, it becomes more lively. Because then you easily have more colors in it, and in nature there are always a lot of colors mixed in. So if you'd eg. use a dark brown/red gradient for shadows over the paper, and in addition to that a yellow or light turquoise layer for the light coming from the opposite of the picture, you'd have a pretty nice basic set of color values. ( Of course then you still need to do the details, darker shadows on the dark side, highlights on the opposite etc. as I said, it's a pretty nice -basic- .)
    But you can try that with totally crazy colors you'd never think that they'd fit in that scene ( eg. purple, green? ), and try to make them fit. It is possible. And with that, your feeling of color surely will improve :]

btw, do you already know about about these sites? They're also a good read :]
    http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm
    http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm
    http://www.furiae.com/index.php?view=gallery

hope that was of any help to you ^^;

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mellowpurple For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mellowpurple

I hope that I understand that already! Thank you a lot for such a long block of text and those links, I'll read some articles there as soon as possible, I should just make some... order in that, because I also need to read anatomy, some Loomis and Parramón books!(first one is about colours, second one about light, it should be very helpful) *smiles*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vision one strikes back!

Surprisingly an onion. Weird.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vision Two continues

Bam! You appear between two surrealistic trees and in front of you sleeps city like the one from ancient Batman computer game!

People in one forum whined that we voted for theme 'author's inner world rendered as city' and there is no contribution despite it's after deadline, so I threw away preparations for tomorrow's literature exam and gave it a try. Surprisingly, after months, I've made it! *is so glad*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 491 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies man...but try paint more seriosly themes

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Verehin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have inspired me.

I like the little digi-paintings you have been doing of single objects, nice way to practice. I have not quite found a simple way to transition to using my tablet as much as i do my brushes paint and i think I'm going to give your method a try or two.

You keep at it. your stuff is looking good.
    and the links mellowpurple set you are really good

I'll be back to check you out later

"It is like a finger pointing to the moon; do not concentrate on the finger of you will miss all that heavenly glory."
    - Bruce Lee

My Funky Sketchbook
    check it out

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Nallen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Verehin, Nallen

Thanks , Verehin, I have already three "projects" worked out, but I'm stuck in them so I won't post them in here yet.

Nallen, thanks a bunch, you should visit Bumshee's thread if you haven't done so yet. I have the idea of painting single objects from there. http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107217

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vision Two continues

Well... During some odd accident, this mysterious Book revealed face of its creator, naughty drooling student called "V"... ehm... called Jonish.

My mother made me new haircut and I wanted so badly to paint something from photo reference, so I took a photo of myself and started painting. This took one hour and after week or two I gave it another 30 minutes for details. I know, it's nothing special, but I can see that I'm getting faster! *cheers*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was just walking home after work when strange powers dragged me through a black tunnel and at the end, I haapened upon a mysterious book..
    Somehow, i knew it was called the "Book of Void'
    And inside was a display of wondrous ass kicking painting prowess!

keep it up man!

I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!

MY DAY JOB http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136204

MY ANGRY SKETCHBOOKhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...129015&page=13

37. The Following User Says Thank You to the ANGRY filipino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vision Two continues

Air gets warmer and more dry, it makes you cough. There's a man in front of you. The so-called Oxygen king, the only man who produces and distributes air on this wrecked planet in these hard times.

DSG #1400. I know, I should have made him proper neck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vision Two continues

There's never enough of fire and other signs of destruction.

Thanks to Vulgar's critics on my last DSG, I'm doing some flame studies today, I already checked this very helpful article. Made a painting from photo reference from same page. Now I'm going to draw and paint more flames, that should come very handy due to my passion in post-apocalypse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vision Two continues

Burn!

Here are two more flame studies I've done after that oilfire, I waited with posting for another two, for which I have photos prepared, but I can't seem to take courage to get to work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vision Two continues

Yes, it was Zeus who took Europa into his lair of love! Animalsex aspects are not important at all.

Recently I've been in Paris and I've bought markers for myself, so I'm learning to use them. This is my today's work. I've spent one hour in cold, being disturbed by young punks skating around. My goal is to improve quality of areas, sometimes strokes look too ugly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2