Sketchbook: Brian Leleux's sketchbook - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Brian Leleux's sketchbook

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some real good lighting in that 3rd enviro on the first post of this page. Rest of the things look a little flat. The lava, par example, looks like tomato saus, not boiling magma, so you might wanna work on the little things. That said, I like your style when you do put the details in, so keep at that and you will be moving foreward in no time

-E

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mischeviouslittleelf View Post
    Some real good lighting in that 3rd enviro on the first post of this page. Rest of the things look a little flat. The lava, par example, looks like tomato saus, not boiling magma, so you might wanna work on the little things. That said, I like your style when you do put the details in, so keep at that and you will be moving foreward in no time

-E
    Thank you. I agree, maybe I should work on my highlights a bit, to give more contrast between the lights and darks. I'll try to remember to work on making things look more 3D in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually thought about painting these past few weeks before my Winter break and stocked up on a few art books to study from and hopefully provide inspiration. The first one is inspired by a painting from one of the books and the second one was inspired by the clouds outside of my house. After looking at them online, I noticed a big problem that I leave out of a lot of my paintings: color variation. I'm actually really embarrassed about it too, since I was watching Dylan Cole's Landscape Painting DVD before starting these. I tried using only the default hard round, soft round, and chalk brushes to work more on color, instead of detailing with custom brushes.

Attached Images Attached Images  

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just keep practicing those enviros! Maybe try some photo studies to learn details and such. Also maybe try the EOW challenge! You really seem to have a good eye for enviros!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks kidult. I hope everyones holiday went well. I got 3 art books: Quantumscapes. Structure, and a book with lots of pictures from the Hudson River School guys. I also got a 120 GB iPod to fill up with instrumental music!

Two sketches from today. I tried starting in black and white and then adding subtle color through extra layers. I didn't add color on the right one, but I hope you can still kind of tell what's going on.

Perspective is really weird in them though, I didn't use any grids.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An ECA eh? Interesting.. I hardly ever see them in any forums I go to. Really like your work, you seem to have a grasp on the environment and the good sense of perspective. As for the latest one. The waterfall one is great, nice bird eye view of the whole landscape. Sadly however, I can't tell what's going on the second one, seems to be a ship vessel of some sort. I'm assuming you are trying have a misty atomsphere perhaps? The only thing I could tell you is, you work is great, however it seems some things get lost in the pictures due to the fact there aren't sharp edges around the objects themselves, thus making them blend with the background itself makes it much more difficult for the viewer to have any idea what's going on.

Still keep up the good work. Looking forward to more of your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this one s really amazing stuff: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1228422203

last enviros are unclear in shape…don´t quite know whats going on there…
    the left one ´s basically 3 areas, from left to right: dark, whit, dark……
    try to get some shapes and shadows into the white area (glacier/Ice?)

otherwise, your on your way, keep working
    cheers

••• Φ •••

Nettle_Mountain - walnut - SamC - Walid D - Nrx - Dilated - FraserMcT

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindragon View Post
    An ECA eh? Interesting.. I hardly ever see them in any forums I go to. Really like your work, you seem to have a grasp on the environment and the good sense of perspective. As for the latest one. The waterfall one is great, nice bird eye view of the whole landscape. Sadly however, I can't tell what's going on the second one, seems to be a ship vessel of some sort. I'm assuming you are trying have a misty atomsphere perhaps? The only thing I could tell you is, you work is great, however it seems some things get lost in the pictures due to the fact there aren't sharp edges around the objects themselves, thus making them blend with the background itself makes it much more difficult for the viewer to have any idea what's going on.

Still keep up the good work. Looking forward to more of your work.
    Thank you. Someone mentioned my too sharp edges in one of my older sketches, I guess it's the opposite now. :p I'll try to work with the edges some more in my future paintings.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfooTrooper View Post
    this one s really amazing stuff: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1228422203

last enviros are unclear in shape…don´t quite know whats going on there…
    the left one ´s basically 3 areas, from left to right: dark, whit, dark……
    try to get some shapes and shadows into the white area (glacier/Ice?)

otherwise, your on your way, keep working
    cheers
    I see what you mean in those. That's a really big plain white area in the middle(of whats supposed to be ice). Thanks a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are four more sketches I did from ref.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a crappy sketch from today. I didn't really plan it out...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your sketches, they give an amazing feeling of freshness. I especially like #63.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by silverrspells View Post
    I really like your sketches, they give an amazing feeling of freshness. I especially like #63.
    Thank you.

School starts back up again tomorrow and my English teacher told us before break that we will have a research paper when we come back. However, my goal for this year is to be more active in my sketchbook, the forums in general, and my DeviantART. I plan on spending some more time, and money on more USB drives, on finding better stock and creating more brushes. Expect some more stuff soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    9 more sketches! I feel like I am learning something when I do these, especially from reference. These weren't done by ref though. :p The middle one was supposed to be a few hills, but it doesn't really read well...

Let me know what you think, what to work on in the future, why some forms aren't working, anything!

By the way, one of my goals this year, besides getting a lot better, is to get another painting in a local gallery again. Hopefully, all these sketches and critiques will help me paint something really nice to have a chance during one of the "call for artwork" days at the gallery.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been thinking about my painting process and decided to try out the "recovering your painting" way. I used the same brushes as Whit Brachna did in his snowy mountain movie(I've learned a lot from watching it a hundred times) to start with the basic colors and shapes. I really enjoy painting that way.

Here are two 10 minute black and white sketches and one 30 minute color sketch from ref. All starting with large soft brushes from Whit and on one layer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a poor painting. I liked the idea, albeit a poorly thought out one, so I continued dabbling at it. I really need to work on my jungle painting; it seems like every time I do one, the perspective and composition is off and it's kind of hard to read.

Oh, and by the way, I'm applying for SCAD soon. I'm kind of nervous, since I don't really have any other choices that I like as much as SCAD. I do know that if I attend J.Sarge Community College, VCU has to accept me if I apply

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would advise studying some perspective if you intend to do less organic environments, such as your city sketch. The perspective isn't terrible in that sketch but I believe we should be seeing the corner of that building, like the others, and not one of its faces dead on.

Nice stuff. Keep on truckin'.

The first step - especially for young people with energy and drive and talent, but not money - the first step to controlling your world is to control your culture. To model and demonstrate the kind of world you demand to live in. To write the books. Make the music. Shoot the films. Paint the art.
    -Chuck Palahniuk

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by IMBass View Post
    I would advise studying some perspective if you intend to do less organic environments, such as your city sketch. The perspective isn't terrible in that sketch but I believe we should be seeing the corner of that building, like the others, and not one of its faces dead on.

Nice stuff. Keep on truckin'.
    Thank you. I guess I should really start using the perspective brushes more. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a quick study from a picture I found on SXC, called "Tunisian Canyon". I would have worked more on it, but my Photoshop keeps freezing and I'm not sure why. I'm gonna go back and work on it a little more soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick one from tonight. I had no idea what I wanted to paint, but I liked the palette from another image I saw, so I tried using it as well.

I got a working R4 now, so expect some sketches from life. Has anyone else had a problem with their soft edge brush on Colors? Mine look like a soft brush used at a high resolution with low DPI. My soft brushes aren't really soft on my DS screen, but they are in the actual image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    10-20 minute study of my cellphone on the table., with my DS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You ahve improved quite a bit since started to use reference.
    One thing that will help your artwork and make it more 'your own' will be to make your own custom brushes. Not only will this help you better understand how they're to be used, you can also make specific brushes for specific uses.
    check out http://www.leventep.com/tutorials.html

This guy is called SamsonsReaper on this site. He is an awesome speed painter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CamSyko View Post
    You ahve improved quite a bit since started to use reference.
    One thing that will help your artwork and make it more 'your own' will be to make your own custom brushes. Not only will this help you better understand how they're to be used, you can also make specific brushes for specific uses.
    check out http://www.leventep.com/tutorials.html

This guy is called SamsonsReaper on this site. He is an awesome speed painter.
    Thanks, I'm glad it shows! I do actually have a lot of custom brushes, some of my own or tweaked versions of others. I do need more though I'm a big fan of SamsonsReaper, or Leventep on DeviantART. Thanks for the link.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooooooooooo... I was accepted to Savannah College of Art and Design. I'll be attending for my BFA in Interactive Design and Game Development. Hopefully, I can get some good knowledge with the 3D programs and be able to work as a Concept Artist and modeler one day.

Oh, and I turn 18 in 8 days. I'll try to get some more stuff up. I got two more big picture books that I'm dying to do some sketches from.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm ashamed of the dust that has been on my tablet.

Just a sketch from a book...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking great, man. Are you headed off to the school in Savannah or to the location in Atlanta?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kinjura View Post
    Looking great, man. Are you headed off to the school in Savannah or to the location in Atlanta?
    Thanks! I'll be going to the one in Savannah. I'm really excited. It's a beautiful area. I found a lot of nice spots to do some studies from when I visited the college, so hopefully I'll be able to put them up here soon. Do you live around there?

Here are two sketches using reference from my big book of weather. Gotta love those Barnes & Noble's $5 deals

*Quality is a little bad because I had to take a screenshot of the zoomed out image to save it when Photoshop froze, but I resized it up about 300 pixels so it's easier to see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a sketch from a new book I bought. For $10, I got a small, 256 page panoramic book of Australia that has pictures of wildlife, cities, and some (amazing) landscapes.

The reference was a bit more "stretched" though. It's of the Tanami Desert

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have some realy nice enviros gooing here! but i think some of them might be a bit so saturated. also i think you should do some more of those city enviros

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. Just stopping back by to check things out again. Looking fantastic! I fucking LOVE the clearance rack at the book stores; they're a real gold mine and are an absolute steal.

To answer your question, I'm not in Savannah, but am in Atlanta. If you're ever up this way, drop me a line and I'll show you around. I'm good friends with a bunch of the professors at this branch of SCAD and can introduce you to them, as well. Keep going strong, bro. You're doing all the right things to securing your future in your art career.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3 more sketches using reference.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.