Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks

Brian Leleux's sketchbook

New sketchbook is here.
    Last edited by bLux; July 6th, 2009 at 04:38 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey, this is a good start. You should try and push your depth more in your large environments. Use atmospheric perspective and reduced contrast to push the stuff in the distance back. You should also try out some varying heights in your pieces to add visual interest. Keep composition in mind when doing this. Keep at it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,011 Times in 643 Posts
    wow! great work on environment just keep them coming, keep on practising can't wait to see

Thanks
    Hi, sorry I didn't see your question before. I think all of the paintings could use a bit more depth to varying degrees. In the beach image, there is a bit of depth but it needs more drawing the eye to a focal point of the image. Usually the focal point is in the middle ground, but it can be in the far background or foreground depending. For this one you have a figure in the middle ground. This area should have more areas of saturation and higher levels of contrast to draw the eye to it. Also, the composition seems a bit open. The eyes can easily wander off the edges of the image. It helps sometimes to have visual elements pointing in or framing the points of interest in the image.

Hope this helps. I'm by no means an expert, but these are things I've learned from instructors and experts in the field along the way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KelsM View Post
    Hi, sorry I didn't see your question before. I think all of the paintings could use a bit more depth to varying degrees. In the beach image, there is a bit of depth but it needs more drawing the eye to a focal point of the image. Usually the focal point is in the middle ground, but it can be in the far background or foreground depending. For this one you have a figure in the middle ground. This area should have more areas of saturation and higher levels of contrast to draw the eye to it. Also, the composition seems a bit open. The eyes can easily wander off the edges of the image. It helps sometimes to have visual elements pointing in or framing the points of interest in the image.

Hope this helps. I'm by no means an expert, but these are things I've learned from instructors and experts in the field along the way.
    Thanks. I'll remember that for my upcoming paintings.

I'll try to do some more stuff this weekend. Right now, I've been working on trying to get prints up on various sites(I need money...bad) and looking for scholarships. Not to mention school work...

Thanks
    Here's another one, not really a speed painting though. 2 hours, 2500 pixels wide.

Thanks
    Here is a 1.5 hour atmosphere/mood study. How did it turn out?

Thanks
    Here's a light study, I tried achieving an "almost Sunset" look. How did it turn out?

Brian Leleux's sketchbook
    Last edited by bLux; January 27th, 2008 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks
    Comments? Anyone?

Thanks
    hi!

this comment is for the desert sunset

umm.. it seems more close to right a fter sunrize... the sunset has more deep yellows and reds, and befor it the sky will turn deep blue with hues of the reds and yellows, though it depends on the time of year and the exact point b4 sunset...
    i would recommend u to just go outside befor sunset for a couple of days and make a colour pallate every 10 minuets or so, and to try and get some good photographs or reference..
    take close attention to tipycall details - like how the light effect the clouds, lengths of the shadows, and also how the enviornment reacts to the sunset itself.

good luck and enjoy!
    Last edited by Noa K; February 7th, 2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: topic

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Noa K View Post
    hi!

this comment is for the desert sunset

umm.. it seems more close to right a fter sunrize... the sunset has more deep yellows and reds, and befor it the sky will turn deep blue with hues of the reds and yellows, though it depends on the time of year and the exact point b4 sunset...
    i would recommend u to just go outside befor sunset for a couple of days and make a colour pallate every 10 minuets or so, and to try and get some good photographs or reference..
    take close attention to tipycall details - like how the light effect the clouds, lengths of the shadows, and also how the enviornment reacts to the sunset itself.

good luck and enjoy!

Thanks, I agree with you. It does look more like a sunrise. It started off as a speedpainting, and I guess I didn't really have anything in mind. I have a 468MB folder of images, I should use them more

I'll be sure to use more reference next time!

Thanks
    2 hours. I need to do better ship designs.

Thanks
    Cool stuff you have here.. Can see that the most recent environments you posted are a lot more dynamic and convincing than your first few attempts..

Anyway, reference images really are the key.. maybe try a bit of matte painting, blending many photographic images together into one huge canvas.. lots to be learnt from painting bits and pieces together.. cheers!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomself View Post
    Cool stuff you have here.. Can see that the most recent environments you posted are a lot more dynamic and convincing than your first few attempts..

Anyway, reference images really are the key.. maybe try a bit of matte painting, blending many photographic images together into one huge canvas.. lots to be learnt from painting bits and pieces together.. cheers!

Thank. Yeah, I thought so too, I'm believing that my colors are getting better. It might not be as noticeable in my sketchbook, but compared to my older ones on DeviantART... there is a big difference.

I think I'm gonna try to do some speed exercises with pictures and do some overpaints. Hopefully, it'll help me with my colors and understand some more detailed landscapes.

Thanks
    Thanks Andrew.

I do plan on doing more pencil sketches and drawing from life. I don't know if I said it in my other thread, but I want to go some areas around here(peaceful ones where I can actually concentrate) and do some drawings. I am also playing with perspective some more, by doing some vehicle, ship... whatever you want to call them, drawings. I'll try to draw them bigger and scan them for my sketchbook.

Also, since my birthday is Friday, I asked for some anatomy books so I can learn that as well. I'll try to get those up too.

I apologize for the other thread and thank you for the motivating words. I really do take them in, and they don't just sit at the back of my head.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast