Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Brian Leleux's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Brian Leleux's sketchbook

New sketchbook is here.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bLux; July 6th, 2009 at 04:38 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another speedpainting, 2 hours. I got sidetracked because I kept trying new things on this. I drew, erased, drew, erased...

Crits are welcome, of course. Scale might be off? I'm having trouble deciding.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, this is a good start. You should try and push your depth more in your large environments. Use atmospheric perspective and reduced contrast to push the stuff in the distance back. You should also try out some varying heights in your pieces to add visual interest. Keep composition in mind when doing this. Keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KelsM View Post
    Hey, this is a good start. You should try and push your depth more in your large environments. Use atmospheric perspective and reduced contrast to push the stuff in the distance back. You should also try out some varying heights in your pieces to add visual interest. Keep composition in mind when doing this. Keep at it.
    Thanks. Can you explain to me which painting you think I should push back the background items more? I think I should in the snow one, but in the recent one...not so much. Maybe in that 30 minute painting too?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked some more on the the storm one. I really like how it turned out as a speedy, so I spent some more time on it. Originally 45 minutes, but spent another 30 on it last night. Tell me what you think

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow! great work on environment just keep them coming, keep on practising can't wait to see

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a portrait sketch. I haven't done many anatomy/portrait drawings. I want to learn how to increase my area of concept design and further my skills. For my birthday, I'm asking for 2 books by Stephen Peck. Crits are welcome.

I know, the lips are messed up. I was using a graphite pencil without an eraser, and I drew my lines too dark

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, sorry I didn't see your question before. I think all of the paintings could use a bit more depth to varying degrees. In the beach image, there is a bit of depth but it needs more drawing the eye to a focal point of the image. Usually the focal point is in the middle ground, but it can be in the far background or foreground depending. For this one you have a figure in the middle ground. This area should have more areas of saturation and higher levels of contrast to draw the eye to it. Also, the composition seems a bit open. The eyes can easily wander off the edges of the image. It helps sometimes to have visual elements pointing in or framing the points of interest in the image.

Hope this helps. I'm by no means an expert, but these are things I've learned from instructors and experts in the field along the way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KelsM View Post
    Hi, sorry I didn't see your question before. I think all of the paintings could use a bit more depth to varying degrees. In the beach image, there is a bit of depth but it needs more drawing the eye to a focal point of the image. Usually the focal point is in the middle ground, but it can be in the far background or foreground depending. For this one you have a figure in the middle ground. This area should have more areas of saturation and higher levels of contrast to draw the eye to it. Also, the composition seems a bit open. The eyes can easily wander off the edges of the image. It helps sometimes to have visual elements pointing in or framing the points of interest in the image.

Hope this helps. I'm by no means an expert, but these are things I've learned from instructors and experts in the field along the way.
    Thanks. I'll remember that for my upcoming paintings.

I'll try to do some more stuff this weekend. Right now, I've been working on trying to get prints up on various sites(I need money...bad) and looking for scholarships. Not to mention school work...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another one, not really a speed painting though. 2 hours, 2500 pixels wide.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a 1.5 hour atmosphere/mood study. How did it turn out?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    40 minute sketch after school. I didn't have any idea of what I wanted to paint though...

Horrible brushwork for the textures, I know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a light study, I tried achieving an "almost Sunset" look. How did it turn out?

Last edited by bLux; January 27th, 2008 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Comments? Anyone?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a WIP. I want to make it look like we're with the ship, so a radial blur will be added later.

I'm trying to get more architectural objects, or ships, in my paintings now, since all my other ones are just landscapes. This is the first painting including a ship. I have more thumbnail sketches with more ship/building ideas.

Crits?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi!

this comment is for the desert sunset

umm.. it seems more close to right a fter sunrize... the sunset has more deep yellows and reds, and befor it the sky will turn deep blue with hues of the reds and yellows, though it depends on the time of year and the exact point b4 sunset...
    i would recommend u to just go outside befor sunset for a couple of days and make a colour pallate every 10 minuets or so, and to try and get some good photographs or reference..
    take close attention to tipycall details - like how the light effect the clouds, lengths of the shadows, and also how the enviornment reacts to the sunset itself.

good luck and enjoy!

Last edited by Noa K; February 7th, 2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: topic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Noa K View Post
    hi!

this comment is for the desert sunset

umm.. it seems more close to right a fter sunrize... the sunset has more deep yellows and reds, and befor it the sky will turn deep blue with hues of the reds and yellows, though it depends on the time of year and the exact point b4 sunset...
    i would recommend u to just go outside befor sunset for a couple of days and make a colour pallate every 10 minuets or so, and to try and get some good photographs or reference..
    take close attention to tipycall details - like how the light effect the clouds, lengths of the shadows, and also how the enviornment reacts to the sunset itself.

good luck and enjoy!

Thanks, I agree with you. It does look more like a sunrise. It started off as a speedpainting, and I guess I didn't really have anything in mind. I have a 468MB folder of images, I should use them more

I'll be sure to use more reference next time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 hours. I need to do better ship designs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff you have here.. Can see that the most recent environments you posted are a lot more dynamic and convincing than your first few attempts..

Anyway, reference images really are the key.. maybe try a bit of matte painting, blending many photographic images together into one huge canvas.. lots to be learnt from painting bits and pieces together.. cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomself View Post
    Cool stuff you have here.. Can see that the most recent environments you posted are a lot more dynamic and convincing than your first few attempts..

Anyway, reference images really are the key.. maybe try a bit of matte painting, blending many photographic images together into one huge canvas.. lots to be learnt from painting bits and pieces together.. cheers!

Thank. Yeah, I thought so too, I'm believing that my colors are getting better. It might not be as noticeable in my sketchbook, but compared to my older ones on DeviantART... there is a big difference.

I think I'm gonna try to do some speed exercises with pictures and do some overpaints. Hopefully, it'll help me with my colors and understand some more detailed landscapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Andrew.

I do plan on doing more pencil sketches and drawing from life. I don't know if I said it in my other thread, but I want to go some areas around here(peaceful ones where I can actually concentrate) and do some drawings. I am also playing with perspective some more, by doing some vehicle, ship... whatever you want to call them, drawings. I'll try to draw them bigger and scan them for my sketchbook.

Also, since my birthday is Friday, I asked for some anatomy books so I can learn that as well. I'll try to get those up too.

I apologize for the other thread and thank you for the motivating words. I really do take them in, and they don't just sit at the back of my head.

Toxdel is offline Yes, yes i do own a bar of soap Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello xbrianx, good start on this sketchbook. You're showing great dedication to environments. Just keep workin' on them and you'll have some amazing stuff in your hands in no time. For now my main bit of advice is this:
    Try to focus more on the major forms in your piece before you go into doing texture. What is mean is say for instance that your trying to depict a mountain, well the first thing you would see is its form, the shadows that give it depth, etc. Then the next thing you would see is the individual colors, the details, and the texture. Try to paint what you think you would see first then move into the drawing the things you would see after looking harder.
    -also try to make your environments a little more dynamic. flat planes aren't that interesting to look at, break them up and add hills, crevices, plants sticking out of the surface, etc.

hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxdel View Post
    hello xbrianx, good start on this sketchbook. You're showing great dedication to environments. Just keep workin' on them and you'll have some amazing stuff in your hands in no time. For now my main bit of advice is this:
    Try to focus more on the major forms in your piece before you go into doing texture. What is mean is say for instance that your trying to depict a mountain, well the first thing you would see is its form, the shadows that give it depth, etc. Then the next thing you would see is the individual colors, the details, and the texture. Try to paint what you think you would see first then move into the drawing the things you would see after looking harder.
    -also try to make your environments a little more dynamic. flat planes aren't that interesting to look at, break them up and add hills, crevices, plants sticking out of the surface, etc.

hope this helps.

Thanks. Yeah, I really do need more practice... but thats why I came here I was thinking about, maybe one day, re-doing my recent painting with the ship. Maybe, get the crevice to turn to the left and get some more cracks. Also, add some more fog and another ship? I thought that'd make it look a little less... flat in the middle ground.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some studies I did to help with colors.I used reference images from my Planet Earth book. I set a timer for 30 minutes so I could try to paint under the time limit. How do you think they turned out? Are you seeing any improvement on my colors? By the way, Number 4 and 5 had no reference, and number 5 was a brush test. I believe the scale is off on it, but, it was a sketch... so hey

I'd like your input. Thanks

If someone thinks it's too big, let me know, I'll put up the Imageshack thumbnail instead

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see you're into enviros, driving around with laptop and tablet would definitely add to that. Nature is the best source for fresh ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Nice to see you're into enviros, driving around with laptop and tablet would definitely add to that. Nature is the best source for fresh ideas.
    Thanks for stopping by.

Yes, I really need to do that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started in PSE2, at school, then touched up in PSCS2 at home.

Unfortunately, it was only done at 15 inches wide. The eMac wouldn't have been able to really handle anything bigger and I hate using small monitors

Over a few days in class, at about 5 hours.

It started as a lighting practice during class, but I kept going. I hope it turned out okay. The colors got a bit changed from Mac to PC, but I think I got them back. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by That fat kid View Post
    Hey Brian,

I still can't stress observational studies enough. The problems you're having is with the basic understanding and depiction of form. Your edges are what's making it difficult to convey your environments accurately, there needs be an appropriate range of edges from hard, firm, soft, and lost. These indicate depth. It's imperative to understand how things work in space and in relation to each other.

~Andrew
    Thanks for the comment. Could you point out in my recent painting what you mean about the edges? The sharp bottom of the buildings really bugged me, but I wasn't sure how to fix that. The windows and doors were sharp in comparison to the texture, so I blurred their edges with a <10% brush(I don't remember the exact number). Thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by That fat kid View Post
    Attachment 369841

This is a paintover by greg pro and is posted in this thread

Notice how space and form are created by the differing amount of information offered by the edges. This applies in the same way to landscapes as portraits, things closer are harder, farther way softer.
    Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind. If I get time, I'll go back and try to fix the edges in the last painting. But, right now, I got end of the year tests until next week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd suggest you draw from ref/life alot, starting of from small and simple things and then on to harder and harder. You can always try a few hard ones in between the basic studies just to see how it's going!

Keep drawing mon!

Try to get even with shapes and how they affect things as early as possible, otherwise you'll find yourself fucked like me :p

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.