Are Start Up Companies a good move??

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Are Start Up Companies a good move??

What is everyone's thought on Start up companies? Is it worth the risk to join a start up company? I would really like to know what everyone thinks. Are Start up companies a good idea or a bad idea? Please I need some info.

D.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

start-ups are risky

From my experience, startup companies can be a good experience to work for, but dont expect to get paid, or get paid on time. If they say they are going to pay you, don't be surprised if they dont. Start up companies are trying to make money. Some months they do, and some they dont. Unless they are working with a venture capitalist or have some other form of income other than what they are selling or whatever be very cautious.

Good luck

RV

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know how it is in the Art world, but from my experience in a previous profession, startups usually equal long hours, possibly higher pay and stock options (which may be worthless if the company folds), but higher risk of losing your job.

A couple things to ask yourself are:

1) Can I tolerate the higher risk involved? (i.e. Do you need a steady income to support your family or are you young and single with no ties)

2) Am I willing to work long hours with little to no compensation for my time? (60-70 hours a week or more during crunch time with no overtime)

3) Do I believe in the company and what they are trying to do? More importantly, Do I believe in the management? Keep in mind that management will try to spin everything into something good even though your product is 2 months behind, the company is in the red, people are taking pay cuts, and employees are leaving for greener pastures.

Ultimately it's a personal decision that requires a little bit of soul searching on your part. Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys,
    thanks for the info, my line of thinkin sort of goes liket this.
    1) I have no experience and if i worked for this company, even if it was for a short period I would gain some experience and could take myself out of the 'no experience' bracket.
    2) I have no ties like a family or children ... only a dog. lol but if it folds i am able to walk awa i believe relatively safe.

i don't know but at least i could gain some experience ya know?

thanks for the advice.
    d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With what you sy you have I would go for it. It is always good to go with one start up company once in your career. It teaches you alot for the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    imajicastudio
    Thanks for the info, i really appreciate everyone's advice...
    I agree with you all I think i could learn alot from the people there even if it does go belly up. at least I'd have some experience then.
    dyoung

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm involved in one such startup company myself and I was wondering if anyone feels they get more creative license when working for these developers? As an artist in a small team, I find my tasks range between level design, modelling, texturing, matte-painting and UI design each day. The expectations for each of these tasks aren't demanding masterful abilities, but they do have to be professional and complete. As a result, I seem to have a strong say in the art direction, which makes the job that much more enjoyable.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.