Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Bad Drawings in the MOMA

Here is a blog I have on my google reader (everyone should use that )

http://illustrationart.blogspot.com/

His latest entry is about the 2k+ drawings the MOMA has purchased to put on display. Mmmhm. He shows some examples.

Do you perhaps think this is why Illustrators, for the most part, deride the current trends in modern art?

Do you ever wonder why so many fine artists chide illustrators for having no soul?

Likely an endless debate?
    “It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think the proving ground for artwork is not on the wall in a prestigious gallery. If these stuff are lying on the street, the best thing a passer-by can do is throw it in the garbage bin.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I'd make a guitar wolf smiley if I wasn't vomitting in rage.

Thanks
    Those examples suck. I'm so far pleasantly surprised by the rest of the drawings though, this is cool: Bad Drawings in the MOMA

Maybe the really bad stuff isn't until the higher pages?
    Last edited by armando; December 28th, 2007 at 08:22 PM.

Thanks
    haha, quality in a modern art museum :smirks:
    That's like searching for water in the desert.

Thanks
    Now I'm even more disillusioned.
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 747 Posts
    MOMA! I thought you said MOBA!

Sadly, I enjoyed the collection at MOBA more.

I really did.

Sniff.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    Those examples suck. I'm so far pleasantly surprised by the rest of the drawings though, this is cool: http://moma.org/images/collection/Fu...s/00163057.jpg

Who did that?

Thanks
    Frantisek Kupka
    http://moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?criteria=O%3ADE%3AI%3A3&page_nu mber=10&template_id=6&sort_order=1
    They've got lots of good stuff: Gustave Klimt is on the same page, they've got Egon Shiele, and a bunch of other people I've never heard of. I've only gotten to page 60something out of 386, but so far I haven't seen anything as terrible as those examples from the original link.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    The collection is arranged chronologically.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Ugh... as a school assignment we had to visit the SFMOMA. It's absolutely awful. I saw two pieces in the entire museum that I actually enjoyed. There were two surrealism pieces that were incredibly well done. I LOVE surrealism.
    The rest are as bad or worse than the ones on his blog. Some I don't even get how it's possibly called art. Like a wall completely covered with dead sea sponges. Anyone could waste their time by randomly pasting dead sea sponges all over a wall. But why? And how the hell is that art???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    Ugh... as a school assignment we had to visit the SFMOMA. It's absolutely awful. I saw two pieces in the entire museum that I actually enjoyed. There were two surrealism pieces that were incredibly well done. I LOVE surrealism.
    The rest are as bad or worse than the ones on his blog. Some I don't even get how it's possibly called art. Like a wall completely covered with dead sea sponges. Anyone could waste their time by randomly pasting dead sea sponges all over a wall. But why? And how the hell is that art???

NOT ANYONE!

Only SOMEONE who cared enough to pull this idea off could do it, and that's what seperates this SOMEONE from a legion of ANYONE's who've never actually made a single thing in their entire life.

Cheers
    M

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marko Djurdjevic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    That sponge thing actually sounds pretty cool.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    its not always about what it looks like and the end results.....open your minds peoples!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts
    I looked at MOMA's website and they have Mark Rothko paintings. It's this kind of abstract art that I'd love to see in real life some day.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Farvus View Post
    Mark Rothko paintings. It's this kind of abstract art that I'd love to see in real life some day.
    I did. In real life. It makes you question the concept of evolution.
    Rothko probably went back a few thousand years or had a severe case of autism.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Djurdjevic View Post
    NOT ANYONE!

Only SOMEONE who cared enough to pull this idea off could do it, and that's what seperates this SOMEONE from a legion of ANYONE's who've never actually made a single thing in their entire life.

Cheers
    M
    Well ya... but someone would have to be pretty bored to waste their time sticking sea sponges onto a wall. I do like the other stuff that artist made that was just my least favorite part. One thing that was pretty damn cool is he froze a hydrogen powered BMW at 17 degrees and then he dripped water all around it in really cool spider web like patterns.
    I have respect for people with these sort of crazy ideas that no else would think of it's just not my "cup of tea". The sort of art I'm attracted to is like yours Marko, unreal or non-existing things painted in a realistic atmosphere with realistic lighting and texture. You can achieve this amazingly well actually. I REALLY am looking forward to picking your brain at the workshop.

Thanks
    Hyskoa - I actually think he went light years forward. It's almost beyond my understanding how he achieved this luminousity and mood in those color-field paintings (which were his last ones). They look great on the net but that's propably like few procent of how it would feel in real life.

Thanks
    Hyskoa - I actually think he went light years forward.
    So from here to uranus?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    Well ya... but someone would have to be pretty bored to waste their time sticking sea sponges onto a wall. I do like the other stuff that artist made that was just my least favorite part. One thing that was pretty damn cool is he froze a hydrogen powered BMW at 17 degrees and then he dripped water all around it in really cool spider web like patterns.
    I have respect for people with these sort of crazy ideas that no else would think of it's just not my "cup of tea". The sort of art I'm attracted to is like yours Marko, unreal or non-existing things painted in a realistic atmosphere with realistic lighting and texture. You can achieve this amazingly well actually. I REALLY am looking forward to picking your brain at the workshop.

What is the fundamental difference between a person that does something and a person who does nothing?
    The person who does nothing can always point it's finger at the person who does something and say: "Look how stupid you are, wasting your time with shit like that!"
    And therein lies the secret key to Ignorance...

Cheers
    M

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marko Djurdjevic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Marko, just because people are creating something or doing something with their life doesn't mean it has to be on public display. Otherwise reality tv would be interesting.

Rothko should just have remained a private thing, maybe an anekdote on wikipedia, but putting it in a museum is just a smack in the face for everybody who's putting any effort in trying to learn the traditional method of producing art.

And relax man, you're turning into a ragaholic.

Thanks
    Lol. From here to Uranus it's maybe 0,0003 of light year's distance. You're shooting to close .

EDIT: To the last post. I think his last paintings required really big knowledge about color. It's not just slapping random stripes of paint on a canvas.
    He didn't declare himself traditional painter so why smack in a face?
    Last edited by Farvus; December 28th, 2007 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks
    Lol. From here to Uranus it's maybe 0,0003 of light year's distance. You're shooting to close .
    Yeah, but other planets don't have an indirect shit reference :/

Thanks
    I wouldn't go so far as to say the guy pasting dead sea sponges on a wall was the first to do it, or not do it; Since I really have no clue. However it doesn't really strike me as something "new" or "interesting" per say, but yes art can take any shape or form. We should know this by now, whether it be considered good or bad by the viewer it's going to be considered art depending on how it's presented and created. Being the first one to have created something "artistic" in any shape or form no matter how boring or untalented it may seem will very likely be looked at as something worthwhile because it's "original".

Often what one person may think is extremely unoriginal and untalented (usually the view point of an artist stuck in one medium or subject matter); will be looked at as the next step in art by the masses of collectors and will be applauded for its daring execution.

I personally don't like abstract art (it's just my taste) but then again I've seen some artists and individual paintings fitting this genre of art and I'm inspired by the way it is presented and the unique ways it is being used. I had knocked abstract art once here on the forums, not to say I don't respect it but now I've come to actually love the style and genre because of how some artists have presented it; Opening my eyes to other possibilities. I was also never very fond of vector art or graphic design as a teen, but once again I came across artists who were quite eye opening and I grew to love what I once thought to be boring.

Just my perspective on things. I'm trying to be more open and not knock things I may not understand, not until I've taken more time to research or realize what it is I'm looking at.

Mike C -

Thanks
    I can't access the blog at the moment, so I'm kinda flying blind as to which pieces are being complained about...

I took a look at some of the pieces at the MOMA site...I saw kid scribbles and oddball experiments...I really think that the artists were showing what a gallery setting in and of itself adds to pieces, no matter the quality of the work. Walk into a gallery with that on the walls and see for yourself. It's a modern art critique of the system we had, even if it's broken.
    I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    You know what I think?

llothcat loves marko.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dadushin View Post
    open your minds peoples!
    No. It'll let all my brains out.
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    The collection is arranged chronologically.
    Tooshay.

A few of my favorite "drawings":

Bad Drawings in the MOMA

Bad Drawings in the MOMA

Bad Drawings in the MOMA

Bad Drawings in the MOMA

Bad Drawings in the MOMA

Bad Drawings in the MOMA

33. The Following User Says Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Tooshay.
    The nightmares... THEY RETURN!

And to the response below:
    So is sarcasm.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    this discussion is both new and interesting!
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Currently available for freelance work (illustration and animation).

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ben V For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast