Page 1 of 289 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 636 Posts

Algenpfleger learns to draw (He really does!) 2014 - New Sketchbook!

New sketchbook here!

Hello, happy people of conceptart.org
    I'm, umm, new here. My name's Hannes, 19 years old, male, from Germany. I've been lurking around this place for quite some time and finally found the courage to join

While i always did a bit of sketching in and for school, the common stuff like doodling on your books, and a bit of manga-style crap, it wasn't until July of 2007 that I started taking art seriously. Around that time, someone showed me the world of Digital Painting, and i was off the hook, beholding the vast mass of inspiration.

So i spent the last five months learning to paint, and working with light and color.
    Well, I found out that all of this is completely useless without basics, and I saw that anatomy is what I have to learn. So today i put my tablet aside, said to myself "Dude, you need to get better, start over", took my pencils and started studying some serious stuff.
    That's why i came here, I'm sure that conceptart is the place to go to when you want to evolve as an artist. I really want to improve my skills and will be thankful for every hint and critique i can get. I'd also love to participate in some activities.

I won't post anything that's older than 24 hours. (Edit: Or maybe I will D: )

So here's the stuff I did today. I started with 60 poses from posemaniacs, 60 seconds each. I have a lot of trouble seeing the important forms and the essence of the pose, but i will keep practising that.
    The next thing is some Bammes studies, i apologize for the crappyness of my lines and the bad scan, but please bear with me, as I'm freaking motivated right now.
    Last are a life drawing of my cat and some non-reffed faces, also with a lot of issues regarding anatomy but ah well, I'll practise, I promise.

I hope I'll be able to update daily with at least as much stuff as today, I'm highly inspired by all the great artists here, I hope I did the attachment stuff right, and thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Last edited by algenpfleger; April 20th, 2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Update! :D

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Elloe. Good job with the first post.

60 second poses are great for warming up. In fact I recommend that's all you should use em for.

Once you're fairly lose move up to 5 minute ones. Then 10. then 30 or howeveer you feel comforetable.

You seem to have a pretty good understanding of depth and know how to manipulate perspective. Your faces look rather geometric and unnatural so I would recommend that you spend a day practicing just them. In fact spend a lot of time practicing one thing at a time. It is the one crucial thing that has worked for me. The more you do one aspect the better you get

Other than that I recommend looking @ some anatomy books and seeing how the body can be formed down into geometric shapes. it helps understanding more.

Remember...success lies in the power of will. Never give up...and learn to enjoy frustration. Cause once you kick it's ass it will feel so good haha.

Hope to see more ~ peace

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ped454 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Welcome to CA, olle Alge!
    Nice sketches - I wouldn't have the patience in 1000 years, you know. Looking forward your future stuff!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zeitwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    practice,practice And just Practice.
    and post your value studies too.
    keep it up
    Need your critique
    My Sketchbook

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hmanafi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ped454, thank you so much! So much advice. Okay, I'll practice more faces. You're right, they look weird. I need to seriously study Loomis, I'm afraid.
    And i got an anatomy book, but i still didn't find out how to break the body down into usable chunks. I hope that will come with time.

Zeitwolf, hello again Thanks for stopping by.

hmanafi, thanks. Value studies. I seriously hadn't thought of that before. But I did some today, thanks to you

So, today I did some more poses, then moved on to studying Bammes again, bones of the arm, blargh. Then some eyes, some after Bammes, some with ref, some from head.
    Some random faces...
    The last two are from life, i did them after reading hmanafi's post and thought "OMG value studies", first is a drapery study (yay! ), just a towel hanging over a chair, second is a fairly crappy self portrait which took about 50 minutes.

My scanner should actually be delivering better results :-/
    And does anyone know how to put those attachments directly into the post?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Woot, i found out how to scan properly
    Some poses and value studies, some from life.

Hmm, i feel like i really should do anatomy and faces instead :-/

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice poses man, i really need to start doing this. Loving the shading of the pencil on the last picture, very nice.

If you feel like doing anatomy, will not try to mix it with the poses? Draw the pose and then try to define the muscles with the help of anatomy books.

Keep it up man!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carbono For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, so much work each day. This really inspired me to just sit down and draw. Definitely keep this up. b"b

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flakari Leader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Haha, i´m just as impressed with your amount of studies! Keep them coming! Looks great so far!

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flaskpost For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Carbono, thank you! Great idea, combining poses with muscles. I'll give it a try tomorrow!

Flakari Leader, glad to hear. But how could i not be motivated, beholding these great forums with all those awesome artists?

Flaskpost, thanks! I hope I'll be able to keep it up

So here's, with my newly found scanning ability, more stuff from this afternoon, making the second update today

Some Bammes studies, then some random faces, some of them with ref. Then some more poses - 149 in 3 days
    Last for today are two value studies, some toy horse from my little sister, and a roll of adhesive tape which creative some interesting caustics, i failed to render them though, gotta try again soon :-/

And I still need to find out how to put attachments directly into the post

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Didnt get around to do much today... some 60 second poses, some 5 minute ones, then anatomy studies after Bammes, and finally some faces.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Didn't get much done today either, for obvious reasons. And yay! It's 2008. Which means my I-won't-do-digital-for-a-while is over now.
    Note how the second random faces page looks better as i drew it while listening to other music and hanging out in the living room.
    Last edited by algenpfleger; December 31st, 2007 at 08:15 PM.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    man i like your art much. i love the expressions of the faces.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theblueroom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some of those quick studies are really great, and like someone else already said, nice facial expressions on those quick ones too. I agree, music can make a big impact on the work, it does with me anyway, its almost become an essential thing to have good music while I draw !

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gadbury For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    theblueroom, thanks! I gotta say that one of my goals for this year is to really learn a wide variety of expressions, so i can give life to my pictures.
    Mr. Gadbury, thank you And yes, music is an input just as important as inspiration through other people's awesome art

So today was the first day of 2008, and also the end of my Non-digital-period, which i decided on to be able to focus on studying anatomy.

Here's what i did today, some random girl, a few enviros (last two with ref), highly inspired by bumskee, a 20 minute apple study and a bit of Bammes. No poses today D:

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 289 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast