Tribute to my late girlfriend - concept sketches & ideas

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tribute to my late girlfriend - concept sketches & ideas

I'm working on a drawing of my last girlfriend, who passed away seven months ago now. Losing her messed me up for a long time but now enough time has passed that I want to do something in her memory. I'm working on a drawing of her and I might end up doing a few. So far I've done a basic outline sketch from a photo, and I've been experimenting with ways of adding something before I go further, like a floral design with her name or a "Rest in Peace". I've attached what I have so far and a couple ideas I've sketched. I'm not really satisfied with any of them yet. The one of the rose in the corner reminds me of a network logo on a TV show for some reason. The one of the design on the top is better, and while I like the design I made (inspired by tattoo art), something's not right with it either.

I'd love any thoughts on what I'm doing. I don't tend to draw from my imagination very much, so ultimately I might just keep it simple and make it a drawing of her without anything cluttering it up. Suggestions are welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool thing to do man. Sorry for your loss.

I also believe that the second one looks better than the third but I think that a simple portrait would do fine. If you really want to add a design or personal touch I think that the floral or font alone would look better. It is, however, your piece so do what you want to do. It's the idea that matters.

The first step - especially for young people with energy and drive and talent, but not money - the first step to controlling your world is to control your culture. To model and demonstrate the kind of world you demand to live in. To write the books. Make the music. Shoot the films. Paint the art.
    -Chuck Palahniuk

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, sorry to hear about your girlfriend. Commendable though, that you are moving on.

Your drawing looks great, nice linework! If you want to put some flowers in there, maybe you could have them bordering the image. Maybe something art deco or nouveau inspired?

To be honest, and it's only my opinion, I don't like the "rest in peace" for lettering. Maybe her name if you put in lettering and I think it could be nice without lettering too.

You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've thought about it and I think I know what was bothering me about the lettering. Making some sort of memorial design puts the focus on her death. I want this drawing to focus on her life. I chose this picture because it's so full of life, her doing one of the things she loved, with that amazing smile. So I'm just making it a very simple drawing with nothing else added. I'm thinking about doing another drawing, one of a more traditional portrait pose, where you can actually see her eyes. Anyway thanks for the comments!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.