Art: Heavenly Sword
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heavenly Sword

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Heavenly Sword

I'm kind of new here, I made a new account because the old one was inactive from a while back & was giving me to many problems, and I want to be more active here on this board. So anyway, here's my first piece, Nariko from Heavenly Sword! This started out with my sketch and then painted all on photoshop. Hope you guys like it!

Vinnie Tartamella

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vinnieart; December 25th, 2007 at 02:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the girl, the lines are great and the anatomy is dead on. I think a little more sharpness in the background would help though, it seems a little too fuzzy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The anatomy is dead on? How is her butt showing from this angle? She must have a HUGE butt. Isn't that something you get when you look up at a girl from their front? And what's with her left wrist? The whole arm feels displaced somehow. Also, the foreshortening on her left leg is not believable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Shut up and draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Madfishmonger, I appreciate the comment.

Wow nothing nice to say at all Blue Disciple, just an attack? That's pretty harsh for a first comment from you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that this Looks great!
    it needs some work though.
    her left foot it kind of awkward. it looks as if it is twisted at a strange angle and the Background needs some work.
    but besides that
    awesome!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=115768
    MY SKETCHBOOK OF DEATH!

The water always finds a way through the rocks -ancient Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Rhineville View Post
    I got groaned at for pointing out flawed logic and giving critique. I thought that only happened at deviantart.

my myspace page {I am only 15}
    http://www.myspace.com/i_tried_to_live

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont mind Blue Disciple. I will help you as nice as possible. I would suggest that you dig in the anatomy studies a little more. I like the pose. The coloring isn't that strong. Expand your range other than yellow to red. The red pop out to much, from distance where it should be just a blur. Her hair is moving in the oppisite direction from where the wind is blowing. The background is a bit scratchy. And since the sun seems to be setting in the background. The should be a lot more darker tones in the picture. Good luck!! Also take in mind I havn't played the game!

Last edited by Micaiah Nelson; December 24th, 2007 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the crits mentioned except for the wind. The loin cloth direction can easily fix this.

Not all crits will be gracefully delivered. *shrug* I don't think there is a critique tact quota to remain a member each month (is there?). Take heed to the crits negative or positive and use what is most valuable to your growth and the rest is taken or left.

Oh and any normal lurker/frequenter around here is well aware by now the quality of Blue's comments around these threads. While I don't think this one was that bad, some additional help could've turned that around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a good start, but I think some very important elements are off a little. The background is well done but I think it's a little too saturated, it competes with the elements in the foreground. In the foreground pick your elements of importance. In the figure find an area to bring out more than the rest, either in clarity, or with values, or with color. If it's going to be the face and hair find a way to make it stand out just a little more, play with the lighting and experiment. If it's going to be the entire figure, find a way to bring her out more from the background. You want your background to compliment and support the figure, but not compete with her now like it's doing.

Speaking of anatomy it's not bad, but there are some things that are off. The arm going into the distance is too long if it's going backwards. It needs to be forshortened a little more. The hand coming out needs some work, it needs a better grip and gesture. A little more definition. Speaking of the character I know that she's an agile and capable figure, but think about her sex appeal as well. She's a fighter, but she's also a beauty. Her looks need to be convincing as both, and right now I'm seeing her as more barbaric because of the played up anatomy. The belly button is too low, it should be up higher where the waist pinches. The bumps and lines in the pelvic area are also a little too harsh. I think those could be taken out or at least played down. Think about her character...sex sells, she has this appeal that needs to be kept intact I think. The face has got it for the most part, but the body is lacking that sexy sleek curvy thang that women play off so well.

This is nice though, love the direction, but I think you can push it more. Cheers! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Disciple View Post
    The anatomy is dead on? How is her butt showing from this angle? She must have a HUGE butt. Isn't that something you get when you look up at a girl from their front? And what's with her left wrist? The whole arm feels displaced somehow. Also, the foreshortening on her left leg is not believable to me.
    Whine all you want about this comment, he's still right.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to light For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, theirs ways you could say it without being rude. Like everybody elses post. Nor his comment was helpful. It just put off the artist! Plus recently his comments have been rude but he already apologized in his thread in the art discussion forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Disciple View Post
    What a jerk. No one needs negative input like this idiot offers.
    Well done VinnieArt, very impressive. Please only take from the positive critism offered.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For some reason, I'm struck by her cooch, it looks terrifying.

I hate how I can't think of anything more productive to say than that.

The anatomy seems a little strange to me. I'm not sure. She's just so damn muscular! Like skinny wee arms and hench legs?

I would like to see more work from you though, it's a great scene.. try and clear up the background a bit though? The beauty is in the details!

Oh and, the flags. I'm sorry they just don't work. The flag on the top of the building especially, just left of her head. I'm sorry, they really look out of place.

~The sun will keep shining

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Guys, I know a lot of you are being very helpful. I appreciate it, I can see and take in the constructive criticism, but I know 1 or 2 people love to be negative all around cause they think its "fun" shooting down everyone's art lol, but No hard feelings, happens on forums everyday. This was just a fun piece for me, getting close to how the game is in mood & feel, it wasn't for anything work related so I'm cool with what you all have said. (but I am keeping her hair as it is lol, play the game, you'll understand better.) If I can make more time to get back this piece I'll make some corrections to the key issues a lot of you have expressed "look off" I'll post more soon, Merry Christmas everyone!

qabas12 is offline Put that ego away Ramone... your gonna hurt somebody with it. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome work.... can I ask why you left the line art?

that pretty lil group of islands at SE Asia
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gatling is right. just take whatever you could in a crit, whether its negative or positive. (like.. there are times when painting professors are more than harsh in their crit and when you're going to think about it, it held some truth) so, dont be affected by negative crits, just focus on the important details not on how the person shoot you ^_^

and merry christmas too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guys, thanks again. No worries. I said screw it and did a little work on it now since I'll be busy after the holidays, this is the only time I can put aside to touch up some older work. I just made some quick changes to a few issues, and I played with the values on the bg and the colors on the overall piece. I'm happy with it now. Thanks again!

Vinnie

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    id suggest a use of references , truly study the natural stuff, rocks, cloutds, they seem improvised and also id lose the overdefined shading on her cheek, our left, this pic has potential dont get me wrong its obvious there is skill behind this, and that needs perfecting, keep on drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man, I will note it on newer work I do! This one was done pretty quickly and I didn't want to focus that much on the BG just playing with some Textures. I appreciate the critique though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The new update looks better but I have to agree with the others about the stance. Also the DOF looks good for the back ground but for the character and the rocks shes standing on a bit more sharpness would help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The background of the first one is better than the second but I like the colors of the foreground in the second.

Although Blue Disciple was rude, he was right about some anatomy problems. And just because he was rude doesn't mean you shouldn't think about what he said. Being able to listen to critical people like that and still take something out of it will help you progress much more than you think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Shmaba I feel the same, the bg was better in the first, but now everything holds more tightly. Its cool.

I'm fine with Blue Disciple's comment, I already made enough note about it, and there's not need to give it more attention. I also made changes to the piece, due to various feed back. I appreciate your comments as well. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gah fantastico love it gret composito, colour, everything

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this is a job well done. but I agree with everyone about the background. Its needs more detail. Much like you have on the girl. Other then that props on the colors and a great pose.

Some people like to bash. Disregard those losers.

-------------------
    The Chronicles of Dust
    ..the chronicles of dust

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the illustration is awesome, but i don't like to see art works with a copy right tag in the middle of it, you could put that in the bottom of the pic or anywhere, but not destroying the whole illustration, thats just my personal idea!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the comments guys!

I would like to post without water marks, but the fact is my work has been stolen and put on other websites with no credit given to me etc.. So sadly I need to keep watermarks, at least for a little while longer.

Happy 2008

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL Well you said it in the start and I did what I wanted with this piece. I sparked the questions, "who is she fighting, what's she doing, etc" I wanted people to have those questions. And if you read earlier I just wanted to play with textures, and try new things. Its an action pose, and that's all it was meant to be. She's not my character, I just felt its what I wanted to show after playing the game. Adding detail as birds etc, isn't me trying to cover up anything, its about details I wanted to add lol (simple) And yes I didn't use any reference, not because "you think I'm lazy" but because I'm proud of creating something from scratch (for this piece). Not many people do that anymore. They live off of reference. So I'm fine with what you said. And No, I didn't use filters. I wanted this to look like the game, the world sony created, and a lot people are very happy with me achieving it. I understand your passion in "story" and telling something more in a piece of art. I respect that. I just made a pinup of this character I wanted to do. As an artist with a vision in my head.

Next time I'll try to put more art up that has those other elements to them that you're craving. Or pieces I have done that were important and not just for fun as this piece was done for. And sure I'll look up this Harvey guy you really love. Thanks for the comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And yes I didn't use any reference, not because "you think I'm lazy" but because I'm proud of creating something from scratch (for this piece). Not many people do that anymore. They live off of reference.
    It wouldve worked better with reference.

I sparked the questions, "who is she fighting, what's she doing, etc" I wanted people to have those questions.
    To be honest I didnt have those questions at all.

I agree though its a good drawing but dont shrug off tips from people who know what they're talking about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not shrugging off tips lol I don't see how you read that. I said I'll be checking out the other artist he mentioned and I respect what he was saying. I just explained what I wanted to do with this piece. thanks. Some people are a little to fast to be cocky here or arrogant when an artist writes a reply back, stating what they were trying to do or wanted to do.(not everyone is a know it all lol, the best or worse artists need to hear from other artists. Duh, that's how we all grow as artists) To each their own I guess Ksama. Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vinnie, you have to realize this site is full of very positive people that give helpful crits, and artists that are mad at the world. I think your pic is great, it just needs minor tweaking with the background saturation like Extollere said, anatomy etc. Then you'll have one kickass piece! keep going!

ps..ignore the arrogance on this site. They're the mad one's

Last edited by RoboBobo; January 4th, 2008 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm I apologize if I seemed cocky or arrogant? But it seemed like you were making up excuses.. my bad.

The more i look at it the more I like it though, but I agree with the tips that kev gave. Keep it up sir.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.