Rathalos vs Tigrex (monster hunter 2 fanart)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Rathalos vs Tigrex (monster hunter 2 fanart)

Terekjet is offline Hector Herrera Garcia Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rathalos vs Tigrex (monster hunter 2 fanart)

Well this is a draw based on the game monster hunter freedom II ( copyrighted by capcom ) well, these are two wyverns that we can find on the game, and i was thinking, wo whould win on a wyvern fight? and then i tought... Oh lets draw them fighting! The Rathalos vs the Tigrex, two emblematic wyverns of the series monster hunter, make ur bets ladies and gentleman! WHO WILL WIN?????
    Drawed with lineart pencil.Painted with photoshop cs3.

One its the sketch drawed with line penzil, the other its the coolored one XD
    What u think about it?

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Terekjet; December 24th, 2007 at 12:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    where's the pic?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now its here i was editing , it was too big ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    unbelievably detailed! how long did it take you to do this?!

Just draw your ass off. Whatever you do, don't -- stop -- drawing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for ur words mate! well didnt counted exactly, but like 2-3 hours on the sketch and 15-20 the coloring, that was a pain ! but it deserved i think! see u and merry xmas!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The foreshortening on the red dragons right leg doesn't quite work for me... or, it kinda melts in with the rest of him, it does not pop out.. really like the dinousar-look of them though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really think the red dragon's line art needs some work.

His body in general just looks rather odd in its shape. I cant seem to find his left arm, Does he have one?

Also his left wing looks Realllly small compared to his body. it looks like he couldn't even lift his weight off the ground with them.

Other than the line art, the colouring is SUPERB. I really like the battle wounds on the creatures. ^_^ good job.

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Past Tense of "draw" is "drawn"

Whoever asked if it has a left arm, these are wyverns so they don't have arms. Those are legs. I can grant the small wings if foreshortening makes them smaller for being farther away.

The main problem has to do with what's lost when switching from line art to painted image - much of the depth was lost. The color palette is good, but you need more contrast, and it's tricky, because certain parts of the red dragon's skin need to meld from light in one area to dark in another. Neither dragon seems to have any real light source. If they're outside, where's the sun? Especially, making the upper part of the red dragon's tail light and the bottom dark would really make it stand out. Also, the torn flesh is confusing in color, because the red of the wound is identical to his skin tone. Make the skin lighter and the wounds darker.

For a really good study of light on dinosaurs, go see http://nebezial.deviantart.com

click on his gallery, and check his latest Lara Croft piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off I love the design and I like the whole concept of the composition you have working here and the detail is quite amazing. I understand the lost of depth you are talking about and I feel that if you push the contrast with the shadows more it would help get that back. Especially around the red wyvern's right leg, inside his mouth and the left wing where it meets his body just below the head but there just a tad. Also the tail on the red wyvern looks a little funky in it's perspective and the structure just below the bulbous stinger, makes it feel like it is going to fall off from sheer weight and not the injuries. The yellow wyvern although looks more like a dragon dinosaur his left leg has some unusual foreshortened perspective. I think it might look better if it was coming more directly towards the viewer. Lastly from the light sources that I am seeing shouldn't there be a cast shadow on the snow from the red wyvern? I feel that if you put a cast shadow there it would add more depth to the background.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all these comments mates! its helping me to see better what i have to improve, Tried with more contrast, it looks better yeah! and yeah the cast shadow on the red wyvern, i tried to put off, but just finished erasing because i saw the image descomprensated... i dont know, maybe i was missing the correct spot for it ...
    Tried with more contrast, it looks better yeah!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Terekjet View Post
    Thanks for all these comments mates! its helping me to see better what i have to improve, Tried with more contrast, it looks better yeah! and yeah the cast shadow on the red wyvern, i tried to put off, but just finished erasing because i saw the image descomprensated... i dont know, maybe i was missing the correct spot for it ...
    Tried with more contrast, it looks better yeah!
    I would say that the best spot for the cast shadow would be on the snowbank just between the wyverns so that it is falling behind. Try the shadow with just a light but near grey blue that way it doesn't over dominate the scene but at the same time adds to the realism.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ill try Ito, thanks for the tip!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find that tree stump in the back to be a bit distracting. The focal point is obviously the dragons's heads, but then it's kind of interrupted by this out-of-place stick. I think if you covered it up with more snow or got rid of it completely it would be better.
    But fantastic job on the scales and teeth!

My Website :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, this tree stump, yah, i tought too thac can be a lil distracting, but i just put it there to compensate the image, with a designer mind, not an illustrator mind here, yah, i think it can be kind of distracting, but if i erase ( i did) i dont like it, some suggestions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Terekjet View Post
    Oh, this tree stump, yah, i tought too thac can be a lil distracting, but i just put it there to compensate the image, with a designer mind, not an illustrator mind here, yah, i think it can be kind of distracting, but if i erase ( i did) i dont like it, some suggestions?
    Well you could put some forced atmospheric perspective on it, it would make it look farther away but at the same time make it less distracting I think. I did that once with a piece of fan work I did myself of Wakko Warner.

While it is a bit unrealistic at times I have found that some time it can work to the advantage of the piece. However with such a small bit of your piece and considering it is a snow scene it might just do the trick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks another time! damn its true, more atmospheric perspective should solution this ! im gonna try!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let me know if you would like a critique or you are OK for now. I think this piece is wonderfully detailed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks whisper

Well i ever open to hear what people can say! ever learn abou all critics, so if u want! go on !

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.