CS2 vs. CS3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: CS2 vs. CS3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CS2 vs. CS3

I'm thinking of buying Photoshop. (I already have Painter, but know Photoshop has a lot of other things to offer.)

Someone was telling me that for digital painting and such, he recommended Photoshop CS2. That's a little counterintuitive, being that usually later versions only seem to add features.

So is CS2 recommended because it has an easier-to-use interface? Did CS3 do very little for digital painting and only added features for graphic designers?

Or is there no reason to prefer CS2 that anyone here can see? I googled cs2 vs cs3 but didn't come up with much.

On a related note, is there a way to get a student discount on CS3? I didn't see it on the adobe site, just that they offered a 30-day trial version.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you're on a mac, you'll want CS3 because it's Intel native, otherwise there aren't any major changes that effect digital painting. On the other hand, there's no real reason not to use the latest version if you can afford it and have a system that can handle it. And yes, Adobe offers substantial academic discounts.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found CS3 to be slightly faster and more stable, plus some minor changes to the interface makes it easier to work with - for me at least. As said, if you can afford it there's no reason not to go for it .

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im also looking for opinions as well. i put cs1 on my laptop because it doesnt have the 1 gig ram requirement as cs3. however, i dont think cs 1 is as stable as cs 3. also i dont like how cs 1 doesnt keep customized workspaces as well as brush presets every time you open the program.

i dont know. anyways, i would love to hear others opinions on this as well.

best,
    spade

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me
    Facebook - Be my friend, pleaseeeee
    Nocturnal Concept Emissions - Surprise

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't like cs3.. i think i said it before I recently upgraded but they removed two of the features I was using often from cs2...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Min, which features did they remove? curious because I haven't been missing anything and I'm intent on discovering your magic bullet

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    oh yeah forgot to say what was missing....
    the shift click.. will always pressure sensitive it... used to depend on how hard to press from start to end.. but it's just all thickest to thinnest in cs3.. also in smudge tool mode if u press hold alt it will change into a brush tool but now it does jack all...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CS2 had those? I find the last feature you described intriguing... well to bad I'm on CS3 now.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I enjoy CS3 better because I also feel it is better organized and quicker to work with. That and the previously said customizable workspaces. You can find it discounted at Journeyed.com, you just have to be a college student or educator to receive the discount. I bought Adobe CS3 Web Premium that was normally like 1400 and got it for $500. Also commercial version of Maya which is 7000$ you can get for $350 O.o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WARNING! Academic discount has consequences! I bought Adobe Creative Suite my senior year of college with an academic discount. So just a year later I went to upgrade Photoshop to CS2 and it was going to cost $500 so it counts little towards upgrading to the professional version. So if I followed the rules and bought the pro version after entering the work force, it would have cost me $500 for a program that I could only use for one year. If you're only going to be in school for a year or so more, I'd just stick to doing your work there and then purchase Photoshop normally once you graduate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

why does it say you can in this site http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/pho...radetips_2.htm

'Can I upgrade my academic or educational version of Photoshop?
    Yes, you can upgrade an academic version. The process is no different than upgrading from any other version.'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by xcmiller View Post
    You can find it discounted at Journeyed.com, you just have to be a college student or educator to receive the discount. I bought Adobe CS3 Web Premium that was normally like 1400 and got it for $500. Also commercial version of Maya which is 7000$ you can get for $350 O.o
    Maya for $350? You don't seriously mean the COMMERCIAL version do you? like the one you can use to make money from? You mean PERPETUAL license with all features but non-profit right??

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.