Thanks

Lightbulb Ringling Entry Portfolio's

Anyone have any "entry portfolio" type work that could help give me an idea of how good you have to be to get in to Ringling's CA program?

The only porfolio that I have managed to find was this one:
    Candace's Portfolio

She said that that got her in to the CA program.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

life drawing!!

best advice i can give you is to just do life drawings, life drawings and more life drawings. also anatomy studies and such, still life paintings/drawings (apples, oranges vases flowers, etc.) check out the life drawing thread, espically fredflickstone and kchen, the things they do is what ringling wants to see. they don't have to be as good or realistic, the administrators want to see that you can draw and have an understanding of the basic fundamentals of drawing. make such that it's mostly all traditional and limit your "concept" type sketches to slim to none. make sense? oh and i got accepted into illustration with just about 10 drawings. CA seems to be a little bit tougher to get into. do a search for Ringling on this website and you'll find some valuable info. take care and good luck!!

Thanks
    im a first year(non-traditional) ca. my website has a few pieces that were in my portfolio. i wouldn't worry about doing anatomy studies, but the majority of the portfolio should be from life. still lifes, gestures, long poses etc.

Thanks
    Sadly enough Ringling is more concerned about money....kids that deserve to get in don't...and people who have never drawn are getting in because they can pay. I went to RSAD. There is the good and the bad.
    what are you talking about? when you are accepted they judge based on your portfolio, not on how much money you have. they tell you that you are accepted before getting into any of the financial aspect. scad does'nt even have a portfolio review, anyone that applies there can get in if they pay but at ringling theres only 40 something spots. just like every other school in the country(world?) there are going to be different levels of ability.

the portfolio is meant to show that a person has potential, now if it looks the same after graduation thats a lot different.

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback so far. But..

Nobody has even one piece that they can show?

KChen is a professional. Flinstone is too. I can't get an idea of what is being submitted from looking at their work. It would be SO relieving to know how close or far off I am to being worthy enough. I would post my work but I have yet to find someone with a scanner that can help me.

Thanks
    hey, this is pibb991 website http://www.echord.net/ go check it out, apparently its got some stuff that was accepted for the CA major just read the third post of the page

Thanks
    Hi!

I'm a first year CA and I'm a traditional/straight-out-high school student. I only started doing art about a year ago, so I didn't have very much experience when I applied, but I still got in. I think it really helps to have good grades and accomplishments that show that you're serious. There's a first year program to help people who aren't great artists just yet, so I think you just have to prove you have the talent and the drive to do well, not necessarily an exceptional amount of skill.

Unfortunately, I only have three of the pieces that I submitted in my Ringling portfolio online, but you can see them here: http://www.angelfire.com/tn3/bevin/gallery1.html

On my DeviantART site I have some of my more recent work:
    http://furryspork.deviantart.com

Hope that helps!

Thanks
    ok, i'm going to have to comment on Ringling, unless you are in the CA department or the Illustration department, there is no real porfolio review. I have a family member who worked there some years back as well as i lived in sarasota for 8 years and had many friends there. i must say that RINGLING IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! if you beg to differ, ask yourself, how much are you spending on that education? Ringling has always been about money and always will. you will spend a fortune on that education. they will take just about anyone to the fine arts as long as they can fork up the dough. they "try" to counter that by going heavily dependant on the CA majors and the Illustration majors. but i still know people who goto the CA department that can't draw crap. and always try to brag that they can. out of all of those "art schools" that i was accepted to, sandiego(spelling?) scad ringling maine and rhode island, i decided to goto the University of Central Florida. do you know why? because i can get 2 masters for the price of a Bachalors and get a more rounded education. So, if you wish to debate the fact that art schools are mainly about the money, just ask yourself this ... if you drop out the second week of a semester, how many people are going to be frothing at the gums for your spot. how many of them that are accepted don't have the skills? how many of them have brand new cars worth more than your entire education there. then ask yourself this, how many ringling graduates are still in Sarasota? if you don't know, find out ... it won't take long, they are everywhere. not many of them do art either after ringling, they would starve.

i'll get off my soap box now

Thanks
    look at the prices for any art school in the country, they dont vary much. every school has students that are on different ability levels. if ringling graduates cant make a living after school thats their own fault, not the schools.

i went to ucf as well as 2 other colleges and none of them even compare to ringling. of course its not perfect, no school is.

Thanks
    Deadsprite, I wish I had seen this comment, or anything like it before I decided to come to Ringling! I did so much research and I couldn't find anything bad being said about Ringling other than people complaining about the price and how many student loans they had to take out. I wish I'd known that most of the students here feel that partying is vastly more important than art. I know that there are a few people here who are really working hard, but compared to the number of people who are here for the wrong reasons, they are few and far between.

I went to the CSSSA summer program at CalArts, and of a group of my friends from CSSSA, I was one of the few that didn't get into CalArts. Right now, I really regret not taking a year off and applying again to CalArts. I felt that the community of artists that I was surrounded by there (at least at the summer program) was so inspiring, and I learned so much from the other students. Since I've been at Ringling I've felt like I've almost lost my passion for art. My classes here are boring and difficult at the same time, and I never have time to do what I love anymore because I'm stuck doing all this busywork.

I feel that there was a sort of energy that I felt from being around other people who were passionate about animation, but here I feel the opposite of that because I'm surrounded by people who got in simply because their parents have money.

I mean, I'm not trying to say that Ringling is a bad school. Most people love it here! I just think it might not have been the right school for me.

I was really looking forward to the college experience, which I was hoping would include meeting others who were passionate about the same things I'm passionate about. As of right now, however, forums like this one have become my only social life.

So those of you who go to Ringling, and obviously care enough about art/animation to be posting on this forum, please PM me and tell me who you are. I'd really like to meet you!

*Edit*- Oops! When I said "most of the students here" in the first paragraph, I was talking about the freshman class, not the school as a whole. I don't even know any juniors or seniors! By "here" I meant "in my immediate surroundings," not "here at Ringling." Sorry, I know that wasn't clear the way I said it. I didn't mean to offend anyone.
    Last edited by furryspork; September 28th, 2003 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks
    This scares the absolute crap out of me.

I just took a year to work on my portfolio to hopefully hit the level I need to be at to get to ringling. I think I am on my way and set on what I want to do and then this springs up. I would absolutely go ape shit if people were keeping me from doing my best there. I have absolutely NO money whatsoever, and the thought of going into debt is one of total dread, but I would set that aside to get a quality education with talented and motivating people. well hell...

Furry - I am guessing you are in dorms right? Is there a way to get an apartment situation? Get some people who ARE actually motivated together and get a nice place close to campus?

I think I would have to look into that because there is NO way I would put up with assholes like that. If it gets worse, you should pee in ziplock bags and put them in the freezer. When they freeze they will be nice and flat. Take the piss patties out and chuck them under the neighbors door, they will melt real nice and maybe they will stop partying if they think people are pissing themselves in their room.

ugh, this bothers me :mad:

good luck by the way

Thanks
    Jason Manley - "...you will have to be self motivated there....same goes for EVERY art school out there. I have been handling hiring for more than a couple projects in the games industry. I am not getting portfolios from any one art school that are better than each other. For every Kchen or Feng at art center there is a Puddnhead or Android at Ringling.

if you live in florida then go to ringling...its cheap to live there..you have people to help you....and you will get the connection to the employers...of which ringling is second to none. (in all my hiring and recruiting i have found ringlings career services dept to be the best by far...and that includes art center whose career dept was a PIA to deal with)"

that should sum it up. read this thread
    here and you'll find some great info. don't focus on what others are doing - focus on what it is you're doing. Frazetta said this after being ogoled by his fellow artists at a life drawing session on how he was able to produce such detail in such short poses - "I didn't care what they were doing, i was concentrating on my art" those are some heavy words right there. focus on you, those people that are similar will find you or you'll find them. hope this eases your mind. and make sure to read that thread i posted the link to! great stuff!! take care

Thanks
    .PZ.- Don't worry, I think (or at least I hope) that it's mostly first year students who aren't serious. I've seen so much great work come out of this school that it's impossible for me to believe that it isn't going to get better for me somewhere down the line.

Surely there are plenty of people here who really worked hard to get in and to pay for the school. I hear about these people all the time in the forums I visit. Unfortunately, I just haven't been able to locate these people since I've gotten here. I was unfortunate to have ended up in the residence hall that's apparently notorious for partiers this year. I can't move to an appartment because I can't afford to buy a car to drive to and from an appartment. :mad:

I think next year, when I start taking classes in my major things will be better, because I will be working with people who at least had to be good enough to get into the CA major, so hopefully I'll find many more serious students then.

I agree with Capt.Harlock that it's good to pay more attention to what you're doing than what others are doing, but sometimes it helps to be surrounded by people who inspire you and can help you with what you're doing.

Good luck .PZ.! We need more people like you around here!

Thanks

Hollywood Reporter

This was in the most recent HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, re: Siggraph. Interesting.

The juried showcase at SIGGRAPH _ the Electronic Theater _ is sometimes
    > > referred to as the Oscars of computer animation. This year, the
    > > institution with the best showing was not Industrial Light + Magic, Sony
    > > Pictures Imageworks or Digital Domain _ it was Ringling School of Art
    > > and Design in Sarasota, Fla. Of the 26 pieces shown, four were Ringling
    > > thesis projects.
    > >
    > > Since Ringling was established in the early 1990s, the school has
    > > steadily gained a reputation for producing quality graduates _
    > > attracting recruiters every spring from major facilities houses. The
    > > school's four-year bachelor's degree of fine arts in computer animation
    > > emphasizes character development and storytelling.
    > >
    > > There are two factors to which department head Jim McCampbell attributes
    > > the program's success: "We have a balance between the conceptual and the
    > > technical. Our students take just as many concept-development classes as
    > >
    > > they do 3-D animation classes," he says. "Also, our program is deep, not
    > > wide. We don't try to do Web animation with Flash. We focus on one area
    > > and go deeply into it."
    > >
    > > Each year, the major admits 45 new students; tuition costs $8,610 per
    > > semester, and every student completes a thesis film. McCampbell
    > > estimates that about 80% of Ringling's graduates end up working in the
    > > industry, with roughly half going into feature production, half into
    > > gaming.
    > >
    > > "Rhythm & Hues came to my school, did a presentation to show us some of
    > > their work and watched students' demo reels to consider for open
    > > positions," says 22-year-old Chris Cordingley, whose film "After You"
    > > screened this year at the Electronic Theater. "A few weeks after
    > > graduation, I got a call at home asking if I was still available. I was
    > > very excited that they were interested in me. I consider myself very
    > > lucky to be able to start out in film after graduation."
    > >
    > > www.rsad.edu
    > > ---------------------------

Thanks
    zDub:

Here's a rundown of what i submitted as best i can remember. Sorry i don't have pictures. My family couldn't afford an expensive art school straight after high school, so I went to UWF for a couple years, then I transfered, so i had to submit two slides for every studio course i wanted to get credit for:

+ a couple really detailed pencil drawings of objects (a chunck of wood and a metal trailer hitch ball) done from life.

+ loosely rendered charcoal still life of a skeleton

+ loosely rendered charcoal still life of objects (bowls, dolls, boxes etc)

+ 3D design project--a tower made from matte board

+ 3D design project--a low relief plaster cast design.

+ Full color Acryllic Still Life of glass bottles

+ Full color Tempera Painting of a Scapula

+ Color & Design Project: ( imagine a 3x4 foot irregular grid of multicolored squares)

+ 2D Design Project: (imagine a black and white version of the above)

+ and a couple Photoshop collages

Seemingly boring stuff, right? But being able to do this stuff well is what makes all the difference.

I think PZ has the right idea. If your skills aren't where they need to be, community college is the way to go. Build up your skills, once you are at a bigger art school you'll get a lot more out of the experience having gone to the com. college first. And you can avoid the situation of forking over lots of money to a school and lagging behind in skill level. Instead, you'll be doing amazing master copies along with mr. pibb991. Nice! btw.

For those of you at or thinking about going to Ringling, don't worry. Bottom line: it's a good school. With plenty of talented artists to be inspired by. And there are jobs to be had after graduation. But it is a job market, and finding work can be tough. Every morning as I wake up to an alarm clock, I remind myself how lucky i am to have a job. Many of my friends are still unemployed despite being very talented. But they are at home right now drawing, modelling, animating, whatever on their own, building up their skills. So it's only a matter of time (And if they're not...Get crackin' I miss you guys. "One tear.."

Hope that helps. Ok, enough typing. More drawing.

Thanks
    Ringling is no different than anything else in life... its what you make of it... the potential is their to do great things and don't let those who let it slip by discourage you, its the individual's choice to use the school to its fullest. if you do, and your talented you will succeed...

In CA in particular, ringling is doing some of the best work in the world... (recruiters here at imageworks agree by the way)

siggraph is only a small example of the recognition the school is getting care of chris, paul and company... (they swept the rhythm and hues scholarships)

so first years like to party... real life will be a rude awakening...

Its a rude awakening regardless... the industry, i mean
    anyway..

anyway I'm happy to give feedback on submitted portfolios... I pretty much know what should get you in

what happened to the clean white sandy beaches?
    one tear (care of mr mcgreggor) (and mr hargrav)

Thanks
    All the work i had in my entry portfolio was figure drawing, pastel still lifes, and photocopies of my sketchbook. I didnt even know what Maya was until 2nd year at ringling.

Pat is definalty right. Ringling is totally what you make of it. I loved going to school there simply because of the people I was around and became friends with.

... dont get too burned out on work, and dont slack off too much by going out and having fun. Its still college, and it goes by way too fast. Enjoy it.

good luck
    ian

Thanks
    thought I would drag this back up in case people are still looking for examples, cause I posted up my portfolio a couple days ago and am looking for some feedback.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...threadid=14794

Thanks
    This is what I had been waiting for. Thanks a million for the post man. That helps a ton.

Thanks
    PZ-
    that's a really nice portfolio- did you come right out of high school?

Thanks
    I wrote my own stretched out response here:| http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...threadid=14914
    sorry no bad intentions just i wrote suntil i had to leave;|

To me I think ringling wnats to see somene with potential and the want to push it further.

Here's some clippigns of my last year port.
    http://home.tampabay.rr.com/agentj/oldport/

I came in 5th on the wait list

I personally think those suck like horrendously... but
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
    - Pablo Picasso
    :dA: