IDW #54: Magical Toy

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts

Icon IDW #54: Magical Toy

Topic: Magical Toy

Background: As promised, a Christmas round. The topic is fairly simple, but there are some restrictions.

The first is that is has to be truly magical. No toys which seem to be magical because you can't immediately see how it works, but a toy which uses magic to work. Think of something the Dwarfs under the Lonely Mountain would produce, or Santa's very own elves and goblins up in his workshop.

Second, I suppose a Ferrari could be considered a toy as well for certain whealthy people, as would be the newest type of tank for some generals, but the target group here is children so stick to that please.

Brief:
    1. Design and draw a magical toy.
    2. It has to be truly magical, so no cheap conjurers tricks or hidden mechanical parts to operate everything.
    3. Make it a toy for children.
    4. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Saturday December 30 2007 (please notice, I'm going to try to close the round the same time next week as I did with last round. This way I hope to avoid any confusion about when the deadline is exactly. If it doesn't work I'll try something else next time )

Last edited by yoitisi; December 30th, 2007 at 08:01 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Oh, and as you can probably see, we have our own banner! Thanks to form2function, as he was a huge help (I just saw it needs some more tweaking around the edges and probably the size should be a little smaller, but I'll check that when I get back home).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post
    It has to be truly magical, so no cheap conjurers tricks or hidden mechanical parts to operate everything.
    Drats! Foiled again... This is not the last you'll see of this charlatan!

Excellent Christmas topic, Yoitisi. Kinda relieved it wasn't a sled after two rounds of vehicles. But more importantly, the open subject should lead to some pretty fun variety of entries! And the arrival of the banner is own little gift to ourselves! I think the size looks great to be honest. Nice and legible and what a banner should be.

PS: Sorry for the transparency issue, if that was on my end... It just confirms my calibration issues.

Thanks
    Interesting idea. with Christmas looming and holidays abound. I wouldnt be surprised to find less entries. not due anything other than family stuff going on everywhere. but Ill try. hmm maybe my 7year hold can help.

Thanks
    omg! to many ideas for this, and i'm not sure if i'll get time to get something finished, though i was a little worried when i first read this, all i could think of was extremely glowy(radiocative looking) telli tubies.

PS- nice banner guys, i was starting to wonder if you had changed your mind about using one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grenogs View Post
    ....all i could think of was extremely glowy(radiocative looking) telli tubies.
    Nooooo..... pld:

Thanks
    dont stress form, i dont know if this helps, but its now feet and guns, i was thinking to go either way, but now i think both directions into one toy pack would be better
    though i'm not sure if thats aloud, so i may have to stick to just one half of the design, with only half the fun

Thanks

tootsy shooter

quick concept- 2 part toy set, 1 gun and 1 footware, some kind of organic texture. gun fires some kind of magic plazma, plazma interacts with feet of oponent, oponents feet shrink so small causing oponent to fall over. effects last for approx 5 mins. made for kids, but defenetly fun for the whole family, also extremely funny when the dog decides to play

Last edited by grenogs; December 24th, 2007 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks
    Grenogs: A two part toy is allowed It is all part of the same concept as far as I can see. I would make sure though that it is clear that they both part of a set. Usually, this is done by using designfeatures/details from one part in the other as well, although there are more ways to make the connection clear.

Thanks
    thanks yoitisi, yeah, after some quick thinking im probably going to change the gun, and give it a more organic live feel similer to the feet, resembling more like a glove rather than a traditional type gun

Thanks

moogle holiday

[IMG][/IMG]

"every year the moogles in narshe forest celebrate the fall of kefka by bringing out the dragon in a box for all of the little moogles. in the hands of humans the toy would be quite dangerous, however, these are moogles after all!"

thought I'd do a little tribute to final fantasy for the holiday season ( hope it is ok, I did it all out of my head, excpet for the moogles), just thought it up and decided to run with it... let me know if you like it or where it needs work or whatever, open to crits, though I think it is close to finished and I need to work on my abyss and medusa

I wanted to post this christmas morning for yall , KUPO

http://endlesselevation.deviantart.com/
    my dev art page...check check it out

Thanks
    I think I'm sitting this one out.

WARNING: Use of equipment may lead to injury and death. Potion of healing ($50.00) and potion of resurrection ($690,000.00) sold separately.

Edit: Since not everyone is a GTA fanatic, for those who didn't catch the reference, here's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fak6wlQ5cuo

I did it for the lulz.

Last edited by huhwhat; December 26th, 2007 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by form2function View Post
    Nooooo..... pld:
    having kept track of your guys's dialogue over the past two activities this was the funniest posting i have ever read

EDIT

good news: cintiq 12wx will be arriving within a week

bad news: haphazard schedule that involves me traveling to my parents house and home back and forth over the next week or two ;_;

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    good news: cintiq 12wx will be arriving within a week
    Damn you!

Now I'm gonna have to arrange for a little "accident" to befall my Intuos3...

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    bad news: haphazard schedule that involves me traveling to my parents house and home back and forth over the next week or two ;_;
    I'd feel sorry for ya, but... See above. Good luck though.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all! You know, if it's your thing.

Thanks
    merry christmas everyone, hopefully i can finish this, but i got to travel back to the uk for a late christmas in a couple of days, so it doesnt look good at the moment

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by form2function View Post
    Damn you!

Now I'm gonna have to arrange for a little "accident" to befall my Intuos3...
    Hmm I have an Intuos 3 myself, and I've tried a Cintiq on occasion and the new Wacom 12 when it was introduced here a couple of weeks ago. I must say, if you've got the money go for the Cintiq, the Wacom 12 is too small for my liking. Photoshop icons are very small. Then again, I'm probably too attached to my big screen and tablet

And I didn't really expect this round to be a big one considering CHOW 100 and LMS are going on and it's Christmas holiday, so no worries.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post
    Hmm I have an Intuos 3 myself, and I've tried a Cintiq on occasion and the new Wacom 12 when it was introduced here a couple of weeks ago. I must say, if you've got the money go for the Cintiq, the Wacom 12 is too small for my liking. Photoshop icons are very small. Then again, I'm probably too attached to my big screen and tablet
    Well... I use a 6x11 (widescreen) Intuos3, so the Cintiq 12WX is about the same in size. I'd only be losing a little under an inch as far as active area goes if I went for it. However having spent a lot of hours on 20+ Cintiq's both at school and work, I'd have to agree. There's really no comparison. One might say the Cintiq 12WX is to the 20WSX, what the Graphire is to the Intuos.

If I did upgrade, the 12WX wouldn't be worth it for me. A nice 20/21 inch one though... That's a whole different matter.

Thanks
    right now i have a 12x12 intuos 2 in blazing purple and it works perfectly - i've been meaning to get an intuos 3 eventually simply due to the express keys, but i got the chance to pay the difference from my own pocket for the cintiq. since all my art is done on my laptop i can't get too close to the screen with my tablet on my lap which kinda sucks, and also, i don't have a real desk in my apartment to draw on with good posture (an hour of drawing on a couch with a tv tray hurts like a mofo

all in all im looking forward to it, but still plan on using my intuos 2 for school and stuff - i'll let you know what my actual experience is when i have it!

Thanks
    Eelevation: Your concept is mad cool man. Very tight idea =)

Thanks
    Well, I'm out as well. Had to take off for a few days and won't be back home in time to work on anything.

Thanks
    It seems I don't even have to make a poll this time

Thanks
    aye - this will make up for the 5 pages of crit i wrote up last round X_X

Thanks
    As promised here's my entry:

The Strange-O-Rama, click on the button and witness one of our +300 000 Strange-O-Channels!

Thanks
    Yo.. heres my pic.. just a quick sketch of my idea..
    So its a Magical Miniature fireworks box!! No need for buying expensive, dangerous rockets and stuff.. a miniature, little, harmless, beautiful firework for children is the perfect gift for this year! Runs on magic and you can control the show with your hand movement, like color, amount of particles and variations in fireworks shapes...

"Life is just a short period of time between birth and death..." -Me
    "As long as it looks good, Does it have to make Sense?" -SPEARdesign
    Gallery http://dekus.deviantart.com/gallery/
    Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/YTDekus
    Carbonmade http://dekus.carbonmade.com/

Thanks
    For my first IDW entry, I'm submitting a magical rattle toy that when shaken, can make toys come to life.

Thanks
    Planetary Mobile

The planetary mobile was created by an adept from the great city of Jaggonath on the planet Erna. It was created using the magical earth Fae for the sole purpose of keeping the adepts infant child calm and amused.

The shattered fragments of rock that came from the base now float suspended in mid air and very slowly circle around the base, while in the center also suspended in the air is an image of the solar system.

The idea of the planetary mobile is one that I made up but, some of the back story (adept, Jaggonath, Erna, Earth Fae) I borrowed from the ColdFire Trilogy that I am currently reading.

I have used Photoshop for sometime now but, it was always to create logos and for photo manipulation and such. This is my first real painting using the program, so please any feedback would be wonderful.

Last edited by kMh; December 30th, 2007 at 01:20 AM.

Thanks
    I'm going to close this round in a few hours, so any late entries: post now

Edit: Well, I don't think there will be any more entries soon, so here goes. The poll can be found here: IDW #54: Magical Toy - Voting

Last edited by yoitisi; January 6th, 2008 at 08:26 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.