Thanks

SpiritRaptor's Sketchbook

After checking out a few bits and bobs here i decided to post my own sketchbook as lately I have been working on some new concept work and hopefully in the future, a lot more.

So below are some extracts from my sketchbook, alas im not as far along as Id like to be with skills, however im hoping to learn alot from this site and get the opinions of members and artists alike

-SpiritRaptor

Thank you for viewing

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Some life drawing work

I wanted to learn more about getting a form down onto paper, also to study the human figure more, so here are two pages from my sketchbook while sketching people at my local shopping center. I started out with pencil, but then moved onto my brush pen, seemed to help me just get the form down but not worried about the detail, this is my first try at this, so bare with me

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks

More ink sketchs

Just another page from my sketchbook, just trying to get peoples shapes down.

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks
    all your stuff looks very impressive!
    i like design of the rooms.

keep it up!

Thanks
    It looks like you have a good grasp on things like proportion and perspective. And yes, brush pens are invaluable for those life-drawing sessions. The cool thing about form studies, is that you can avoid having to illustrate lots of detail. Try and be more expressive with your brush pen, which can be achieved if you experiment with different ways to hold the pen. With form studies, concentrate on completing the sketch in as few strokes as possible. Think about different things as well: like how can you use your brush pen to describe volumes with just light and shadow and not just lines? While these kinds of studies are usually expressive and spontaneous, think about different results you would like to achieve.

P.S. Try using the Faber Castell brush pen if you're not already.

Thanks
    Thanks to both the people that commented Also thanks to you Odin for the advice, its been a great help, also Ive been using a Pentel brush pen, however ill keep a eye out for the Faber Castell one!

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks
    Another sketchbook page

Thanks
    i just wanna give you one recommendation - if you have painter - try to use chalk and eraser - you will excellent results ;-)

Thanks

El Coro's great weapon video.

After watching Coro's amazing video I wanted to give it a go myself, try and work on some semi standard designs and see what result I get. Im fairly happy with the outcome, I think I need to work on the design a little more, I'm not sure everything fits together as well as it could. But yes, Coro's video, amazing, loved it, great work

Also thanks to dtr.aty for the recommendation, ill be trying it out soon

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks

Another set of weapons

A heavier weapon set, just more practice, alas its not as crisp as id like it too be but im slowly getting there.

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks

Some more bridgeman/thumbnails

Managed to get some more free time from college for some sketching, been working some more from George Bridgeman reference books, great stuff Also did a few thumbnails for the front cover of some college work I've been doing.

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks
    Nice weapons dude, is that from following the downloadable video tutorials? they are looking good, i could imagine them in a game or something...

Thanks
    Thanks for the comment RandAlThor. Yeah, thats the tutorial great stuff, i've been trying my hand some more at weapon design and im slowly getting there

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks

More sketchbook madness

Alas only have time for thumbnails and ref studies at the moment due to college, but its at least something

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks

Gas mask concept sketch

Hey all, had time to do some sketching. I wanted to do something with a gas mask or something along those lines, so I sketched this up. I'm fairly happy with it, it took about 45 min's to do. Seems to be some sort of smog/pollution mask for hugely built up areas.

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks

Value test

Just trying to get better at lights and darks to create an interesting scene, need more practice methinks

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks

Yet more gun concepts!

Just some more Rifle concepts I've been working on for college, I feel I'm slowly getting better at design however next time id like to try some more organic looking weapons.

-SpiritRaptor

Grafguy is offline Professional Graffiti Artist - Ghent, Belgium.
    Thanks
    looks good, ur gasmask and wartorn concept are pretty sweet
    keep practicing anatomy, maybe go get some model lessons?
    and for the weapons, id say u need to put in more contrast and highlights

Thanks

Thumb 4 Final

Another piece of work for college, a final version of the number 4 thumbnail in my last post, I don't think I did too bad, had some practice with wrapping textures and such. Getting there!

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks
    Hi man! Your weapon design looks very very good! I like it a lot! Just head to that direction and keep posting i like them a lot! Just an useful advice - go to this site world.guns.ru ! Take a look of some arms there I am a big fan ot hand guns too! Ill keep an eye on your SB! Wish you luck my friend!

Thanks

Thanks!

Thanks to clanlord and Grafguy for your comments! I am indeed looking into getting more anatomy work done, I have a friend who models in life drawing classes so I'll try and sketch him at some point.

Also thanks clanlord for the gun ref site! Some awesome stuff there

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks

Posting some bits

Just some updates into my sketchbook as I havnt done that in a while. First (the solider) was a speed paint, took about 4 hours, just practicing more really.

The next three were a small comic I did for college, about a guy who gets kidnapped and changed into a lizard due to an odd government experiment and his reflection and actions on the matter. It didnt come out too bad, however I still have a lot too learn.

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks

Tiger Sketch

A character piece I sketched out, wanted to get better at mixing human and animal traits.

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks
    A few illustrations sketched out in my sketchbook during class, then pushed through photoshop breifly.

-SpiritRaptor

Thanks
    Hey man kool sketchbook!
    I remember you, on tuesday i went for an interview at pcad for games design. One of the teachers with a ginger beard asked you if u were a member of ca.org. There was a gimp of a guy carrying a massive portfolio and wearing a silly white t-shirt (me) Behind him. Remember? Thought id check out your work. Really kool.

Oh yeah and i got a placement i'll be startin september. Can't wait to make game art.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Me,Myself & Me again View Post
    Hey man kool sketchbook!
    I remember you, on tuesday i went for an interview at pcad for games design. One of the teachers with a ginger beard asked you if u were a member of ca.org. There was a gimp of a guy carrying a massive portfolio and wearing a silly white t-shirt (me) Behind him. Remember? Thought id check out your work. Really kool.

Oh yeah and i got a placement i'll be startin september. Can't wait to make game art.
    Ah yeah! Sorry its taken so long to get back to you, havn't uploaded much in my sketchbook for a while. Yeah its pretty cool at PCAD, I've improved quite a bit while being there. Anyway if you wanna drop me another message just send it too spiritraptor@spiritraptor.com