Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: SCHOOLYARD - Post your daily studies - get the daily feedback!

Thanks

SCHOOLYARD - Post your daily studies - get the daily feedback!

It seems that are more of us willing to learn and develop the skills.

LET THIS PLACE TO BE OUR DOME

Life drawing is surely the path to follow - post your studies here.
    It's hard to go alone and it pays if we go together!
    I'll post mine later - Who'll draw the first blood?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

So... i'm the quick one?

MindCandy, Adam, Coriat, Orban and all the rest of you... let's show some studies!
    Now.. about mine - hit me hard! :nopity: :bash:

Oblio

Thanks
    Thanked 11,358 Times in 2,879 Posts
    oblio...i want you to start paying attention to the actual values (levels of light and dark) that you see in life. your images have a nice emotional quality but I would suggest you start to master the values of light and shadow...study what is in front if you...what often will look black is not...just a darker gray...what often looks light (toward the white) is just a lighter shade of middle gray.

I would like it if you made a value scale each time you start to make a new drawing for the next few weeks...get 8-10 shades from black to white. see how many different levels of value you can get from black to white. start with six...use the six values in your value scale to make your image...the light in your still life will fall from middle value on your scale toward white. the shadows will be from middle value on your scale until it gets toward black.

ask questions if you need me to clarify anything.

DRAW THE LIGHTS AND SHADOWS....LOOK CLOSER. your drawing is accurate in placement to a higher degree. now it is time to master your values.

how many different values can you see in the light? how many values in the shadows? do some values happen both in the light and also in the shadow? (reflect light and halftone transition light perhaps)

jason

Thanks

Arrow

i'm gonna stick my studies under 'starting again' out in this same forum, just cuz i get confused easily when navigating 34 pages of pics (ex. the self-portraits thread) - there will be new work on that thread every day though i promise!! viva la art...or...yes.

Adam

Thanks
    I think it's good how your hatching follows the contours of the objects. But work on your tone it's SO important.

Help this thread along:

Just pencil and paper.
    Crits?

I'm 21, Graphics Student, and recently realised the importance of life drawing.

Thanks
    Jason: could you please explain 'half tone transition light'

more hand studies coloured in photoshop:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,358 Times in 2,879 Posts
    there are 6 basic parts to light

mass light ... the large area in the light...the big shape of lights

halftone transition light...the darkest part of the MASS LIGHT...the darkest "lights"...the darkest part of the field of light hitting an object...often times this occurs right where the forms start turning away from the light and act as a transition value toward the mass shadow...SEE REFLECT LIGHT as it is often the same value.

high lights....the lightest part of the light

mass shadow... the large shape of darks

core shadow...the darkest part of the shadow...happens where the form turns completely away from the lightsource.

reflect light/fill light....the lightest part of the shadow mass...often is the same value as the HALFTONE LIGHT...depending on what is reflecting of course.

that is a basic formula to go by when creating forms...and light sources....three values in light...three values in shadow...granted it gets much more subtle in real life and can be seperated into more values but overall this is the general breakdown of it. be sure your forms have these properties.

can anyone show me an example on some forms of this kind of lighting???????

j

Thanks

The Master Is Back.. the Master Is Back...

*runs and wake up everyone in the house*
    Thank you Jason. Good feedback will ensure the success of this thread.
    I will try to get that 6 values one tonight - I plan to use painter in order to be able to stick to those 6 values.
    Is it ok or should I go with the pencils?
    I've tried to draw the values as good as i could yet without a value range - just... hmm darker here... lighter there. I think i need some logic and knowledge into it. Thank you again Jason.

@Switch - wow. Thx for contribution. Good drawings make a good thread too Seeing your hatching makes me think twice about placing a line on the paper. I'll sharpen my pencils!
    Sorry - no crits!

Oblio

P.S. - I've got the feedback. Did you? :p

Thanks

These are some I posted before

Jason: I have been drawing for about 3 1/2 weeks and I am having a hard time with exactly what you were describing to Oblio. I feel the constant urge to push harder with my pencil. And I can't figure out how to crosshatch and achieve a subtle transition between the darks and the lights. Is there anything you could suggest that would help, books, other art, etc...? Thanks for caring about us newbies in here too! I look at your dark elf tutorial almost every day. Not because I think I am capable of painting it but just because I love that image so much hehe.

These are some I posted before.

This is an apple I did in painter 7.

I cheated on this self portrait...I used a high contrast picture of me as a sort of tracing paper in photoshop to see the values but it helped me learn so that was good.

I drew my hand on the train with a ball point pen.

Tree Trunk

Squirrels

Last edited by MindCandyMan; October 10th, 2002 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks

Swtich

Switch those are totally awesome. Wow you have a real control over your strokes...is there any advice you can give to me to help me control my pencil stroke better...I am having a hard time...I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
    sorry for posting so late :-) oblio's first post with his studies seems a bit desperate, like: come on! plz post! :-)

just kidding :cool:

i'm still a litle busy with school, so i don't have the time to draw as much as i would want to, but here goes:
    i tried to draw 2 skulls from another drawn reference, so i did not learn anything in terms of how do i draw something... i did learn how a skull looks, so thats also good i s'pose...
    when i get the money around i'll see if i can find a good plastic skull somewhere :cool:

and the front:

and the muscles of the face:
    this one didnt really work out well, i'm going to do a lot more of them - face-muscle-studies :-)

okiee, crits...if i'm allowed to give them, since i'm not very good myself

-mindcandy... i love those squirrels and the apple good coloring on it! i wish i tried as much coloring as you did :-) where the hell do you find the time to practice so much! very good!
    the tree is a bit off-perspective, that plane at which they saw it looks like it stands upright. also if you are painting nature-things ( ) try to find an easy to draw texture to slap on the outlines...i'm not really clear on this, right? well if you can find a litle book by Felix Lorenzo, called "drawing nature" he will explain it there.

as for the portrait, it looks very good if you just started drawing 3 weeks ago! try to have a bit better look at anatomy and proportion, the right ear seems to be falling of your head

as for books, i can recommend drawing the heads and hands by andrew loomis (freely available at fineart.sk ).

-ob&switch: looking gooooooood! post more :-)

ok, next stop: drawing hands and arms, tomorrow!

bye all
    Cynical smarty pants.

Thanks

My 2nd day!

Indexed bmp - Photoshop. 6 values.

I think i should have kept the white and the black only for accents, right? And.. no hatching. I mean.. it's like I’ve inserted new values.
    If this is wrong.. i'll do others (I’ll do them anyway).
    Anyway.. today was one of the worst days of the year for me so.. my mind could have been in other places
    Jason... which way?

I've sketched "some hand" at job:

These are about my first attempts to drawing hands (i've done another one very ugly before those)

Feedback time: :evilbat:

@coriat - desperate? Sure I was (anyway.. today paid back more then i can take) try pictures for reference - not drawings. This as a general rule (except for master copies)
    Also get some softer pencils and work your contrast more. Try more outline drawings with a marker. You know...

@MindCandy - try to follow Jason's advice - B&W, 6 values! You need to work your form & Shape. Next SP try a low poly approach! Simplify the form in order to get a better volume & so. (argh - bad English)

Come on people - the day is young! Draw draw draw...

Oblio
    Last edited by Oblio; October 10th, 2002 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks
    @Oblio - great idea. As with the sp thread, I think I just jump in. As for your studies: Compared to your sp's your hand drawing is really... ehm, err, simple? You can certainly do better. The re-doing of your still-life isn't bad but you have observed your mistake yourself, doing that hatching which created another tone. Hope you don't mind my frankness.

@Jason - great to see professional advice here. Since you all are very busy, we learners have to say thank you for taking the time!

@Switch - good rendering of your hands. Hands are a great subject and I'll post some of mine in the future, too.

@MindCandyMan - nice to meet you here, too. The rendering of the apple is quite good. When applying what you know from drawing/painting there you can also apply to your self portraits. The tree trunk has a few good parts (the roots), but the sawn off top looks off. Watch out for the perspective and the shadow/light relation. The squirrels are nice. What did you use for reference? I did some squirrel sketches this summer, too, using a VCR and hitting the stop button when they showed a nice pose. This gave me 3 minutes for a fast sketch. I might post them later.

@coriat - welcome to the club. I'm also looking for a cheap but still anatomically correct skull. What one gets at the moment with Halloween appoaching are just sort of caricatures (at least here).

This is my light-dark study from yesterday, after reading Jason's advice from earlier in this thread.

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast