P.o.w.! Begins...
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P.o.w.! Begins...

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

P.o.w.! Begins...

This is the official announcement that P.O.W.! is alive, and will begin operations between January 12 and January 16 in the Challenge area of the Activities Section. This time period was chosen specifically to miss the final chaos of the Medusa Challenge and LMS3.

We will be doing (assumed at this point) three standard comic book pages a week as a challenge, in color or black and white. This is not going to be a walk in the park. It literally combines all the other challenges into one, with the same time limit--characters, creatures, environments, machines, and random chaos...AND you have to WRITE the sucker!

You WILL sweat this one. You WILL enjoy it. You WILL screw up more often than you succeed. And you WILL NOT regret entering. You wanted comics...you're getting comics. Enjoy.

For those of you who think you can't do this...look at that stupid logo above. If you can't do three lousy pages of art better than that piece of crap, well...you just might think about becoming plumbers or something...

(For the record, if this makes it through the first month, we'll have a competition for a new logo/masthead for the section so we won't have to hang our head in shame every time we enter the section... )

Davi will have the proper section up and cleared for us in a bit over a week. We have tentative rules and specifications that will be posted there as soon as it's open, and have already assembled a slew of ideas for the start up, with enough to continue for at least a couple of months.

Over time, we will be adding tutorials, technical information on producing and printing comics, and even working methodologies from around the world.

It would be stupid for llothcat and I to assume that this is going to succeed just because it's a cool idea. It IS a rough challenge, and definitely beyond tracing manga and game characters to show your friends. First off, after you create your characters, you have to actually write their dialogue, and it has to make sense. Many of you have probably never done that before, so this is where you'll find out whether you can pull it off or not.

Here's where we need a bit of input--

This is a Concept Arts Forum. Most of you are used to doing all the things that go into creating a comic, just separately, so most of this isn't all that strange to you. We will be presenting a "theme" or "idea" up front that you will use to execute your pages, just like in the other challenges. What we don't know is how much help our entrants will need with the writing end. We have three options...

1. Throw the bastards to the wolves and let 'em work it out (My personal favorite, of course... )

2. Present you with a "scenario" without dialogue to get you started--but we'd have to reach a consensus on how "complete" this scenario has to be.

3. We come up with (or borrow from various appropriate sources we have on file) "pre-canned" dialogue. I personally don't like this one because I think it's too limiting in a creative sense.

4. Do either two or all three above, but rotate them week to week. (Could be a pig to keep track of...)

In addition, we know how difficult this will be, so to help out a bit, we're planning on releasing the "next" challenge information on the Wednesday before the "current" challenge ends at midnight Tuesday the following week. This means that all the challenges will overlap ONE FULL WEEK, giving you extra time to think about the next challenge while you're finishing the current one. You just couldn't submit any WIPs or art in the first week of the challenge, because that time would be needed for the challenge in progress.

Basically, we have a weekly challenge with weekly deadlines, but they all overlap an extra week, giving you TWO weeks, in reality, to work on each challenge. This is being done primarily to give the entrants some extra time to come up with the writing for their award-winning extravaganzas...

Now...any opinions, input, wise-assed comments, etc., put 'em here while we get the section up and running. (I'm referring to both the four writing approaches above and the overlapping challenges idea.)

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ilaekae ...if you were a wee bit younger,and I a girl ,I would have married you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaah, so excited! I like option number one, myself, but I'm used to doing it anyway, so. Uh, it might be not so good for other people. As for overlapping challenges--I think that's great! It does have the distinct advantage of allowing time for WRITING, though at three pages I don't really know how much writing really needs to be DONE beforehand. Still it's good to have time to mull it over and let it percolate, so to speak.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off many thanks to all involved I know this must be a huge undertaking. What with LMS and personal projects I can only say I will try extremely hard at becoming a regular of this weekly challenge. As regards to the "format" I am for the rotation on a weekly basis but not nessarily in any order, that is to say you could have two weeks of option #1 followed by one week of option #2 followed soo on and so forth at the discretion of the mod's also taking into account participants comments. In any Case 08' is shapping up to be a hell of a year for Ca!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another option for the dialogue would be to punk storylines/dialogue from stories. I once did a project where we took a story of our own choice and had to boil it down to 9 panels without speech that still told a story. It was a fun experience! It would make us focus that much more on the panels themselves

I def. see the worth of having to write out own dialogue but I thought I'd throw the idea out there anyway.

I do like the overlapping idea and can easily see how that would apply to the real life situation.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it would be cool to vary between the writer-options, just for variation and experience purposes. Glad there's some action going, looking forward to this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wanna participate in this. I've been planning to explore comics, and this gives me a perfect incentive.

I'd suggest people having to write their dialogues in most cases, with special editions of the POW where we take canned dialogue and use that. (like famous speeches, dialogue from plays etc etc.)

You should also consider allowing team efforts, since there are normally quite a few people involved in producing a comic panel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3 original pages per week? Damn we really are gonna sweat this. I vote that POW winners should get exclamation marks under their usernames - it seems WAY tougher than any of the other current other challenges.

Will probably start participating sometime in January, got some exhibition stuff coming up but then I'm free for a week or two.

Muchos thanks Ilaekae-sir, much appreciated!
    ciao!

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This will be sweet!

as for presenting the idea/theme, i like the first option the most of course, but it would also be fun to sometimes do the options 2 and 3..

also the overlapping challenges is a good idea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What about collabs? Somebody writes and somebody draws. I have seen that there are some exquisite talents on here that can't write their way out of a wet paper bag, and some incredibly creative thinkers who are not upper echelon draftspersons. I can see that you are regarding the synthesis of these to be part of the big challenge, and I think that collab efforts can't be fairly judged next to solo efforts, but the general thinking on CA seems to me to be "as long as the image is purty then it doesn't matter whatsoever about the story and if somebody drew a purtier image than you it doesn't matter how much sense your writing makes, you still suck." I guess one way of making everybody do their best on everything, though, and still get crit/input on stuff like writing and lettering is to make like the "Miss Text Congeniality" award for the text part of the pages. "The Amazing Arttorney/Kreskin" predicts: people voting are mainly going to look at the drawings.

Of the options as presented, of course I am a "throw them to the wolves" guy because of my profession and way of life.

(To the wolves I say!)

Last edited by arttorney; December 22nd, 2007 at 05:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, I vote entrants have to come up with their own dialogue and scenarios - only the theme is supplied. Can't write? suck it up, it's part of the medium.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Option #2 is my preference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great.
    i like the options 1 and 2.
    the overlaping idea is good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan N View Post
    Oh yeah, I vote entrants have to come up with their own dialogue and scenarios - only the theme is supplied. Can't write? suck it up, it's part of the medium.
    Pretty much how I feel about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds awesome. It's good to know that CA isn't a sitting duck; still going and going.

I might actually participate in it; but in my ignorance I don't know how much I'll hate working on it =(

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is absolutely no way I'm going to miss this. I vote option 1 concerning the writing portion.

Can't wait to see this up and running.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I might throw myself in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm i'm a big lazy bastard when it come to drawing comics, buuut i'll give this a try...

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

El_Bert is offline should leave pencils alone Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm..this might be a good start to become a wee bit more active on CA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We need a warming up thread until that January date. I'm like in the mood to do something until then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic!, im really looking forward to this.
    I personally like option 1 the best, i vote for that one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the option 4 best. It kind of explore all the facet of creating comics, by doing it all by yourself or throught an editor (ie Marvel). It kinda benefits everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like option 1 the most. Throw us to the wolves!

As for the overlapping challenges thing, I think that would be a good thing,
    to have a week to think about what you're going to do. Even if that week is
    already filled with finishing the previous assignment, it's nice to be able to
    think about things when you're sleeping/cooking/biking around town.

Wir sind Helden

Sketchybookuh!
    Do you live near AMSTERDAM? Then join our SKETCHMEETS!

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm so glad you made POW into a logical acronym!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So looking forward to this. Subscribed!

A little fish in a tiny puddle.
    My website -> http://almahir.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm good with option 1 or 2, like Ilaekae said, if the dialogue is also written it's taking a part of the job we have to do. Comics are panels and storytelling.
    Giving us a theme or a general scenario is good I think, a theme gives more creative freedom and a scenario teaches us to be creative despite constraints.
    The overlapping challenges is a good idea, I just hope I won't get mixed up lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ARRRGGHH...
    Jan 12 - 16?!!

Those are the days before my final exams!!!

DAMN!!! *Bangs head on wall*

On a side note...I hate no3
    I and 2 is good. But I like 1 better than 2

Sigh...I'll enter the next one...

In this world set by God,
    Imagination is our magic...

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...99#post1542899

My Sketchbook above. (Way too long ago... been a busy college student)

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry...it's going to be a continuous thing...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in! And if anyone is counting my vote is for #1.
    #3 could be cool if it's something like how Eisner does Hamlet in Comics and Sequential Art.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1