'Different' Comic art styles?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question 'Different' Comic art styles?

Hey guys!

Recently I've been looking into comics, trying to find some books that don't have that distinct 'Pencil, Ink, Color' style that *a lot* of comics these days have. I found that it was hard to find anything that looked different.
    Some names that come to mind are Mike Mignola, Frank Miller, Zalozabal and our very own Sinix (if you go to his last posts, you can see he did some sequential art). While some of the above still use inks and colours, they *do* have a very different style.

What I'm trying to ask is... Do any of you guys know comics or artists that actually are original in their art throughout the whole book (not only the cover! I mean.. How great would it be if Marko would do a whole comic?!) and are available for purchase?

Maybe CA should have a few writers and artists team up and make the most awesome looking comic book ever published. I think that would be pretty sweet.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moebius comes to mind. Also the artist who did "Batman Year 100". I also like Charles Vess, but most of what he does these days is illustration. Jordi Bernet is awesome too. James Jean did some sequential art for Fables. Ashley Wood's work is also interesting, as well as Ben Templesmith's.

Last edited by Dizon; December 21st, 2007 at 09:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ashley wood has some fantastic artwork in his books, very different.... he seems to flick from ink, to digital, to oil paints in a single spread with it still holding together....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're looking at medium choice, Dave McKean, Michael Zulli and even Richard Corben have to be on the list, but if its just a style thing then pretty much every body who worked on the Sandman- particularly P. Craig Russel and Kent Williams.

EDIT: Oh, and this guy has a stable of artists working for him, with a huge range of art styles. "Down in a Hole" is so clean it could be paper cuts, while "For Those About to Rock" is messy and cartoony, one of them is actually stick figures, while "Sonseehayray" kind of looks like one of the better Chick tracts.

Last edited by Zaxser; December 21st, 2007 at 01:10 PM.
    Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm more into "indie" comics, where typically the style is very different from that of "Superhero" comics & the artists end up doing the whole things themselves from start to finish.

Check out any of the "Flight" books, they're a large anthology with a range of styles. Another favorite of mine is Becky Cloonan (especially her work "Demos" and "American Virgin"), for the most part she pencils & inks her own stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by moroi View Post
    I'm more into "indie" comics, where typically the style is very different from that of "Superhero" comics & the artists end up doing the whole things themselves from start to finish.

Check out any of the "Flight" books, they're a large anthology with a range of styles. Another favorite of mine is Becky Cloonan (especially her work "Demos" and "American Virgin"), for the most part she pencils & inks her own stuff.
    Funny, I was just looking at Flight, and Becky Cloonan's work. Good, good stuff.

I also recommend Dice Tsutsumi. He's been doing his own graphic novels. Fantastic painter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you can find any of Bill Sienkiewicz's comic work it's pretty awesome. Can be loosely grouped with McKean & Ashley Wood.

http://lambiek.net/artists/s/sienkiewicz.htm
    http://www.balloontales.com/articles...ts/elektra.jpg

John J. Muth has done some great stuff too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there is plenty of different comics, just look to the different markets and countries.

blacksad by Juanjo Guarnido and Juan Diaz Canales. (spain)

skydoll by barbucci and canepa (italy, but i think that the editorial is french not sure thou) http://www.skydoll.com/1.htm

torpedo by abuli and Jordi Bernet Cusso (spain)

mort cinder by h.g. oesterheld and alberto breccia (argentina) if you like b&w comics this is a must see

Le Cahier Bleu by andré julliard (france)

Le Vol du Corbeau by jean-pierre gibrat (france)

there is more but the list get large.

a couple of directions to look(note that many of this are in spanish and french)

www.glenat.com/ (france)

http://www.normacomics.com/main.aspx...portada&mn=nov (spain)

http://www.planetacomic.net/ (spain)

http://www.casterman.com/ (france)

hope that can help in something

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dose View Post
    If you can find any of Bill Sienkiewicz's comic work it's pretty awesome. Can be loosely grouped with McKean & Ashley Wood.
    In the same way a father can be loosely grouped with his children.

Beat me to it though, Sienkiewicz and Muth were going to be my suggestions.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some older stuff but,

George Pratt, Enemy Ace

Kent Williams, Blood

...or anything by those guys

Attached Images Attached Images    
    You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    David Mack's Kabuki, particularly the latter arcs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sandman: The Dream Hunters has quite a different style of comic art, though it's more of an illustrated book in some ways than an actual comic, the art for it was done by Yoshitaka Amano

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Pencil-ink-color" style is just how most mass market comics are made.
    Drift into the world of gaphic novels to fnd something unique.
    Underground artist from the 70s had very distinctive style, Art Spegelman, Robert Crumb.
    You might wanna check out much OLDER comics to see how different styles and techniques were (early comic strips or sunday specials, "Little Nemo in Slumberland" is really beautifully drawn)
    On the modern side, depnds what you're aiming for, if its a realist-actio work (you mentioned marko) you might wanna check out Juan Gimenez work on the Metabarons saga...MAssimiliano Frezzato "maser" saga, Enki Bilal, Druillet, etc. These are all sci-fi painted comics.
    Make sure you check out Blacksad, one of the most beautifully drawn comics i've seen in a while.
    On the more "artsy" side check Perry Bible's comics (just google them) lots of different styles for lots of different strips.

Unfortunately i don't think these two uthors are famous at all outside italy, but Andrea Pazienza's work was really interesting...
    completely different is "Gipi"s style but his story are very nice too (but you have to get used to the sketchy style.

They have alredy been mentioned, but Ashley Wood's comics are really, really cool (recently read MGS comic and it kicks ass.)

The style you mentioned is just a part of the comics world, getting lost in a big, good comics store can be enlightening for ya, you just have to stroll away from the eyecatching marvel covers and check out something different

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome artist suggestions so far. I'm glad somebody else knows the Breccia's, particularly Alberto. The Breccia family website died awhile ago unfortunately-- yes an entire family of comic artists-- father, son and daughter(s?). He was far ahead of his time, utilizing a wide range of styles and subject matter-- he even used cut paper for one particular book.

I put together a small resource on Breccia in my comics blog : http://comicbookmasters.blogspot.com/
    The blog itself deals with Avant-garde comics-- basically comics as an art-form and story-telling medium-- from the perspective of a budding comics artist (me). It's new, so not altogether too many posts yet, but please do check it out.

Another artist to watch is Hiroki Mafuyu, a Japanese illustrator who occasionally produces highly detailed one-shot comics. Check out his site-- he has a really unique approach to comics. His work is available in Mandala, which publishes cutting edge comics from around the world.

It helps to look abroad and into the past for truly ground-breaking comic work, simply because the most unique stuff is always going to be harder to find-- calls for a broadening of horizons.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy! I didn't expect so many replies, thanks guys! I took your advice and did some researching, ended up buying Hellspawn: The Ashley Wood Collection and 24Seven, which is a book with various artists.
    Anyone knows a good comic store in the Netherlands? The only one I know is in Utrecht called 'Blunder', but they don't sell Indie comics. Mainly just DC, Dark Horse, Marvel, Image and IDW.

Again, thanks a bunch, you enlightened me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

You should take a look at Sláine the Horned God, drawn and painted by Simon Bisley.
    I wasn't really into comics and graphic novels, until they released this in my country. The art (and story too) amazed me so much that I started to seek for "different" comics

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    In the same way a father can be loosely grouped with his children.
    From what I understand Barron Storey is the father of all of those guys, along with Kent Williams, George Pratt, John J Muth, and a lot of the "Vertigo crowd". Can't remember my source of that information though.

I suppose he deserves a mention here even though IMO his comic work is not his best work (his older illustration stuff is phenomenal, but hard to find in my experience):

http://www.barronstorey.com/html/archive_p001.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last edited by Whyatt Thrash; January 2nd, 2008 at 10:17 AM.
    - Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mhmm. Reinforcing: Ashley Wood and Aleksi are the shit. The guys on the Sandman series are pretty impressive too, even though I'm not a big fan of the dated 90's style.

Last edited by PerinGalitte; January 3rd, 2008 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Typo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Richard Corben (the master of bouncing boobies!)

Stjepan Šejic

Olivier Ledroit the artist on Requiem, but sadly i couldn't find any good examples

and maybe Bryan Lee O'Malley

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.