Advice on editing portfolio/website

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Advice on editing portfolio/website

I have an online portfolio which I think is getting too big and I was wondering if anybody would check it out and give me some feedback on what to cut out of it or how to divide it up into sections. The jobs I'm really interested in are for RPG's but I'd like to keep a diverse portfolio.

Here's a link to my site BCIJoe Slucher

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    YO Joeslucher

Basically man this is how I see it. whenever you have an online portfolio you want something that people are going to be able to navigate through easily. Your site is very easy to navigate through, so that's not a problem..

Looking at your work i see that it's all bunched up... I think it would make it easier if you divided your page up into sections. Many of the artist's web sites i frequent have their work divided up into sections like Portfolio Work, Concept Design, Environments, Vehicles, Mechs, Characters... you get the idea... The point is to have your best work available right off the bat. People generally only spend about 7-10 seconds/ site! so you have to make what you wnat them to see up front and right there. If they like what they see there, then they can browse the rest.

Also, understand that your web site is your portfolio. With that in mind, engineer it so that your best work is first and last. and the work you like the least is somewhere in the middle mixed up with other good work. That way whenever someone looks at your site, and goes thorough your portfolio work they see the best peice first, then see your not so good work and then BAM! they see your other best piece last. They will remember your fisrst and last piece and that's about it.

Also try to make your site as pleasing to the eye as possible remember that the way your web site looks relfects on you as much as your work does. If your site looks unprofessional, people will not take you seriously.

You are off to a great start man, keep it up... I like your work man especially some of your ink work. Keep up the drawing. check out my site if ya want to see how I set mine up... it's nothin compared to most of the people here, but I like it.

Later!
    dyoung
    www.dmfy.com

Thanks
    Thanks for the help. I had the feeling I needed to divide that stuff up. I could tell by site stats that people only look at a couple of images before leaving and I was afraid that they were RPG people with my link and they might have seen one RPG type illustration in the three images they look at.

I checked out your site and noticed you had the figurative section which was more traditional. Has that helped you to get any work? By the way, much more professional looking site.

Most of the work I do at school has to be very traditional but I didn't think it would do me much good to put that stuff on my site.

I'm trying to work on the site design. I'm glad you liked some of my stuff.

Thanks
    You know as far as my figurative work goes I think it has helped. Companies come to sites to see portfolio work and what they are interested in i.e. Concept, 3D exc... but it's always wise to include either gestures, or figurative work in my opinion. It gives them an idea of what your capable of outside your area of specialty. Gestures are a great way to show your skill. Most people don't give gesture drawings enough credit or don't think they take much skill. but it's very difficult to capture information accurately ana quickly. by including things like that it helps companies see your range. If you only have fantasy or RPG work then that's all you'll be known for.. but if you include textures, 3D, concept, environments You beome much more valuable

take a look at www.artvogt.com he's a good friend of mine and he has lots of good stuff.

later man
    dyoung

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.