Help desiging a magazine cover ..
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help desiging a magazine cover ..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help desiging a magazine cover ..

Hi all. I just got a freelance job to design the cover for a company's monthly sales magazine. I've never done anything before that's been taken to print. I tried searching through the forums but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I realise that vector art is much more suited to professional printing, but since I've never used Illustrator I was wondering what the best path would be. Is there a way to make designs in Photoshop, that are print-ready? Should I experiment with some other style, like Bit-Map (I think it's called). Would that help in any way, by choosing a different style I mean?

I've only got till the end of the month to finish it up. Although the idea is almost set in my mind, I don't have a clue how to go ahead.

Is learning a vector-based program, like Illustrator the best way. Is Illustrator the best/easiest tool for me to learn in the time I have? I really want to impress with this cover. For one, I'm gonna get paid for it , and second since the magazine is a monthly one, I may just get a steady customer.

Thanks, one and all.

the sole intention is learning to fly
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    best thing for you is to get a program that is intended for print work. if youre able, get a trial/full version of InDesign. it will not only have the layout (inc bleed area, crop marks, fold lines, etc) for a wide range of pre-existing documents, but will be your best bet given most printers use InDesign these days for layout. use Photoshop - given that youre comfortable with it - for the graphics, be sure to use the CMYK mode and a document resolution of 300dpi (no less, otherwise its a joke to print from). import those graphics into InDesign, add text, arrange things accordingly, etc. if you cant get your hands on/get the hang of InDesign in time, PS should be plenty fine for the first cover, you will just need to ensure you're using the accurate dimensions, not forgetting the bleed areas, and put in crop/fold indicators, etc yourself. im no professional, but ive had a bit of work printed, and generally its gone okay. congrats on the freelance job.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stoph For This Useful Post:

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    How are you handing in the assignment (what file types do they accept)? What's the resolution of the file? What programs do they prefer for cover art?

There's no reason you can't do a photoshop cover at high rez, or a photoshop document with text placed in InDesign or Quark or something.

You need to talk to the magazine's production department and ask all the dumb questions. Better to seem dumb now and smart later, than the reverse.

kev

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey central,

i do alot of cover design stuff to bay the bills, and i used to be a full time production artist dealing with print ready tasks all the time so if you need any help, feel free to pm me or email me if you'd like. i'd be happy to help out. what you wanna do might depend on how you should execute it.

but yeah, in general, you should do the layout in something like quark or indesign, and do any photo type stuff in photoshop and import to the layout program. you should do the type in the layout program instead of photoshop though if you want crisp type. if you do it in photoshop, it'll look pixelated- not good for type most of the time.
    any clean/crisp vector graphics you wanna use like a logo or that kind of thing should be done in something like illustrator and imported into indesign or quark.

here's a link to a free trial of indesign you can use if you don't already have it: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/i...oduct=indesign

you have to create an adobe account first (it's free) then you can download the trial version.

like i said though, feel free to contact me with any questions.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mwillustration For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for the help. Will ask all the dumb questions now rather than later then kev. Drinks on me all Cheers

the sole intention is learning to fly

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.