Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Portfolio Quest - Sketchbook

Thanks

Portfolio Quest - Sketchbook

I'm applying for Sheridan's Illustration program (2008-2009 school year) and I was looking for some critiques as I go through the process of personal studies / working on 'submit-able' pieces.

I will just be posting my personal sketchbook work / studies as well as portfolio pieces as I complete them.

This thread was previously posted in the Critique centre but I think it is more appropriate to be here.

All critiques / comments are welcome!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Some Bridgman hand studies, from reference . . .

Thanks
    Some 'just for fun' sketches . . .

Thanks
    Hey n. I just wrote a long winded message to you about your stuff here. I hope it helps.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Storyboard Dave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    why should we ignore bad aspects of a drawing? thats the part you learn from right? and thats what ur here for
    im not in the mood for critics at the moment, just wanted to say, good luck with getting into art college, im pursuing the same goal, good luck, ill be checking you soon and maybe even give you some advice u can actually use
    keep drawing!

btw, i love the last one, nice cartoony feel!

Thanks
    ajvenema: Thanks for the compliment. I will go lurk your sketchbook and see if I can offer any advice, there? Good luck with your portfolio/application processes as well.

I would love if, like you said, you would check back and offer advice later. Hopefully i will have some new pieces to crit. soon!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by n.contemporary View Post
    Portfolio Piece #2:

"Draw Hands and/or Feet"

(these are just hands for now, I think I will also draw a page of feet)

Nicely done on the hands. The construction of them is great. Also think about possibly incorporating your hands with holding an object as well. Think about (hang onto your britches now) possibly combining both this assignment and the corkscrew to form one illustration.

Much MUCH more complex piece but bigger bang for the buck too.

Thanks
    Portfolio Piece #3:

"Draw Mechanical Objects"

should I shade either of the two perspectives or leave them the way they are?
    If you've still got the reference material nearby, think about hitting the one corkscrew drawing that shows it laying down, with one strong light source. Add some tone to that and I think that'd be a killer piece.

You've really got a solid knack for mechanical drawings which will be key to developing other illustration skills. A lot of people forget how important mechanical/ technical drawing can be.

Thanks
    Portfolio Piece #4:

"Create a freehand drawing of an historic building" (meant to show your understanding of perspective)

This image was drawn as an assignment last semester and my teacher currently has it / i will receive it after Christmas break. (so please ignore the bad quality of the image!)
    I think you understand perspective just fine!

My one strong suggestion with this one is define how you want us to look at the brickwork on this building. The darkness of the bricks on the right side of the building are obviously darker to give us a sense of shadow- which is great. But then look at some of the details on the front of the church- I'd simplify that brickwork or darken the shadow brickwork just to give it a slight sense of contrast. Also think about how you want the roof to look as well- it's pretty uniform in tone; you might want to consider adding some sort of texture/ tone there as well.

Also the small brick wall closest to us- you could probably simplify the amount of detail there the way you simplified the leaves on the trees. Do we, as the viewer really need to see every bit of mortar and crevice detail on that wall? Probably not because it detracts a bit from the important stuff- the church.

It's a very subtle concept of choosing what is really important in an illustration. You are the illustrator and you control the viewers' eye. What is the most important thing you want us to see. More detail is not exactly the best thing for an illustration unless it's exactly what you want us to focus in on. Subtlety of linework or totally omitting details can be just as important in an illustration (you don't draw every strand of hair on a figure model's head- you indicate hair or selectively show the highlights & shadows).

Again, you've got some really strong stuff here. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Wow, Dave!

Thanks so much for all of the comments.
    I really like the idea of drawing a hand holding the 'mechanical object' (the corkscrew) I think I will give that one a shot.

Also, thanks for all of the advice concerning the old church, I was thinking about how the roof looked 'flat' in some areas and I will definitely tweak a few things, there.

Im currently working on a still life painting that I will, hopefully, be posting soon.

Thanks
    hey, you're doing REALLY well!! your drawing from life/observation are exceptional! just keep drawing with a ref that'll make drawing things from imagination easier
    Incessant Doodlings of a Wandering Mind (my sketchbook)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96904

"Avoidance of what you can't draw well doesn't stimulate growth." -Cory Trego-Erdner

"Only the mediocre are always at their best."-Jean Giraudoux

Thanks
    Wow, Dave!

Thanks so much for all of the comments.
    I really like the idea of drawing a hand holding the 'mechanical object' (the corkscrew) I think I will give that one a shot.

Also, thanks for all of the advice concerning the old church, I was thinking about how the roof looked 'flat' in some areas and I will definitely tweak a few things, there.

Im currently working on a still life painting that I will, hopefully, be posting soon.
    I'm looking forward to seeing much more (such a demanding taskmaster I can be, eh?). It's a great start so far. Keep up the great work.

Thanks
    FWAP!

Consider this a gentle whip crack right over your right shoulder to encourage you to do more work!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast