Starting an Art Routine?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Starting an Art Routine?

So after working in a grueling business job in NYC for something like nine months, I finally managed to switch occupations and take an improvisational comedy class to boot.

I'm pretty sure it saved my life.

Now the floodgate's open and my right brain is once again committed to making me write, cartoon, perform, and animate like I used to in those carefree days before university. I'm about to take my third improv class, my first formal computer animation class (at SVA no less!), and my second screenwriting class.

My question to AD though is this:

Do any of you live or swear by an art routine? A rote pattern by which you create art and follow strictly throughout your week?

I keep getting wound up by all the priorities of the day and by the uncertainties of my future in art and I need a better way of handling my obligations. Since I'm so used to routines in my work, I figure the best thing to do would be to rein in my left-brained side to better serve my portfolio.

How do y'all feel?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Absolutely. I recently did a series of daily oil paintings where I would paint for an hour each morning from observation, most days of the week. I got through 200 paintings that way, and learned to use oils. They're in my sketbook if you want to see.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tailor made art routines are all over this site. (e.g. daily sketch group). Pick the one that works for you. If there is not one that works for you, then you can build your own as Seedling suggested. In addition to her idea, we also have people on here who have threads devoted to daily self portraits, exploration of anatomy, mentor/mentee relationships, and the dreaded community activities.

I like "Random Topic of the (alleged week, but frequently two weeks and sometimes longer, depending)" because I am twisted (which is also good for DSG) but I need more than a day usually due to my life circumstances. If you like cartooning then check with Ilaekae and llothcat to see how their comic/graphic novel activity is developing up. I think you could still get in on the ground floor on that one. I think they were talking about it in the lounge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the advice, Seedling and arttorney. I've lurked here on the forums for a bit, but I never found a reason to go on a thread scavenger hunt until now. Should be fun.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, happy hunting. If you are interested, Ilaekae and I run weekly assignments. The link is in my sig, called "Classroom for All".

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I try to give myself 90 minutes a day to practice, but I also need to produce finished work regularly. I take public transportation, so I plan my 90 minutes in while suffering through the bus ride.

I typically have long term (3 months or more) creative deadlines that demand steady production, and I have to tend to them once in a while. So I make sure to devote a few of these daily sessions to that end. Basically, I give myself short term goals that are aligned with my long term goals.

So maybe you should do the same. If you want to strengthen your portfolio, maybe set a weekly, monthly and quarterly goal to develop certain skills. Maybe try to limit your scope a bit?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.