Sketchbook: チsa's drawing journal [March 17th-Update at last!] - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Asa
    nice updates. dig your sketches, especially the sbb ones - even more than the finished piece. i think its colors are too "lovely", but thats personal preference.
    Nice portraits, the cell shading on the Katara wedding coloring looks good as well.
    ...My pencils are ready to perforate you, when there isn't a mermaidwip around soon!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. I like the last update. You draw a lot and it will quickly pay off.

In the pic with dinosaurs it would help if you put something eye catching in the bottom right part of the pic to compositionally counterbalance the dinosaur heads.

Also check out these links - http://www.animationarchive.org/2006...mposition.html
    http://www.animationarchive.org/2006...mposition.html

Cheers

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello.
    Thank you very much for taking the time to stop by my humble little SB and leave a valid comment. Much appreciated.

Upon looking through your book again I must say, your cell shaded work is gorgeous. Kepp it up..can't wait to see more.

Insight. Honor. Morality. Perspective.
    Because nothing makes love and life matter more than the knowledge that someday it must end.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep it up Asa, looks like your style is developing really nicely

GiantRibot is offline FOR A BARELY ACCEPTABLE AMOUNT OF JUSTICE!!! Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ooo!

this stuff is great! i especially love the self portraits.

if i can offer a small crit, one thing i would suggest is varying your line pressure, and also play with which lines are thick and which ones are thin. it's not always the outline that works the best. one thing i like to do is mix hard outline with soft outline and highlight the places on the figure that are closest to the viewer.

anyhow, looking great, and keep it up!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GiantRibot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now, that's progress...

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah dinosaurs!! Hahahaha. Really nice sb here! Lots of improvement and variety in these pages so far. I'll be coming back!

bakatron is offline toronto blue jays fan... i'm serious.... stop laughing at me okay?? Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the heads up on that. I'm going to work more on your pointers im my freetime.

As for opposing curves I used to post on cgtalk and rebecca kimmel pointed me to this area. i also posted this link on your devart page

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_..._id=3346&page=

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some pretty good studies. very good work. Keep it up

I live in South Ameica(Donde caga el diablo)
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good, female anatomy draw

Drawart

I live in South Ameica(Donde caga el diablo)
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good, draw, I can not draw women is dificult for me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice chix sketches
    I also like the dinosaur ones!

But the colored dinosaur piece just doesn't represent your abilities well

Toxdel is offline Yes, yes i do own a bar of soap Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the style you've got going on, very PHresh with a capital P and H. sorry I feel silly right now. I'll make a note to stop by every once in a while. great stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Asa, HI buddy
    You got great stuff here. Good anatomy. Would love to see more colored stuff, you're doing just enough to tease =P
    Update?

*edit* you took my 100s post. wewt xD

SSG Buddies
    Eerin | Hapun | Eromenos

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey great sketch book i cant wait to see more from you im loveing your anatomy studys and your line work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    First we have replies You people shower me with such great advise, a group hug is in order!

ohnojenny - Aw, thanks for all the compliments! I love reading your comments, you're fun. To answer your questions, then yes, the first couple figures were from ref. Actually from...pr0n sites. Many artists do that, loads of free naked bodies to study! I found that site at the Reference subforum here, but can't remember the title. A SSB stands for Sketchbook Support Group. It's basically a small group of people who exchange crits, some with activities (like ours!). There's a thread in the Lounge if you want to join one Oh, and algenpfleger and loads more tell me to work outside the comfort zone. It's healthy!
    IanE - Thanks for the excellent advise and kind words! I'll try to use the eraser more frequently and be more critical. Btw, I have not forgotten your great PM, but busy real life and sickness got in the way of me sitting down and writing a nice long reply. Sorry, will do asap
    Maestro Andres - Thanks man! Yeah, I bet SPs work best from life. I find it tremendously harder to work from life/mirror than photos, but I guess that's why I must tackle it
    sketcheth - Thanks so much! Ah yes, the silly monster picture sure could've used some more dynamic lighting, you're right. I was treading in unexplored territory there, more experimenting with it should help with lighting and other stuff.
    algenpfleger - Hannes dear, thanks for the great pointers and compliments! Haha, doing a lot of SPs help, huh? You should know! And again, you're right, I just need to dive in the painting pool (mm, yummie) and keep up the milage.
    Malakai SinClair - Thanks, buddy! Absolute truth about the self-critique. I'm a terrible perfectionist, so getting feedback from you guys helps tremendously!
    kelly x - Whoo, thanks Kelly! Glad you dig I'll have to swing by your rocking stuff again!
    The7Artist7 - Aw, thanks Very glad you enjoyed my work!
    Renegade89 - Thanks man, that's great advise. I admit I'm most comfortable with pretty and young stuff, so I'll have to try my hand at the ugly and different faces. Haha, yeah, the monsters weren't scary
    bakatron - Wow, thank you! Opposing Curves, you said. I've checked it out now, seems like a while until I'll get the hold of that, but that's not a bad goal to look forward to!
    DIMAGYAN - Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting! Excellent advise, I really should start using that mirror, huh? And no, I don't think the sketchbook was distorted or anything when I drew those faces, I just must've messed up on the eyeballing :/
    fractured1 - Thank you, I'm flattered It's true that my silly monsters don't have that same spark, I really was walking blindfolded in that piece. I really should aspire to love all my drawings equally!
    PlasmaErnst - Thanks, buddy! You're right, my monsters look straight out of a children-friendly cartoon (that's what I get for trying to mimic the Aztec artwork, believe it or not!), I just need so much colour practice in general. Oh, and...I don't have a mermaidwip *dodges pencils*, but I have a finished painting, look! So maybe just erasers this time?
    Farvus - Man, thank you so much for that great advise. Those composition links you sent were pure gold! I read them all through in one sitting. Hopefully something stuck for good, but I'll have to read it over more carefully and apply to some of my work
    Cok3 - Ooh, style developing? Yay, thanks so much!
    GiantRibot - Thanks! Yeah, I'm still fiddling around with line width and variety, thanks for the tips!
    FightingSeraph - Aw, you flatter me! Thank you!
    staticpen - Thanks man! Really glad to hear you wanted to revisit, that's encouraging
    MeTaL-Mike - Thanks so much, I definitely will!
    Fabz Thank you! It's all about practice, just keep that pencil going
    MnM - Thanks Justice! Very true about the dinosaurs, they were also in a very short time...but that's no excuse. Colours are on the top of my list currently!
    Toxdel - Heehee, thank you! PHresh sounds fun, I could be that
    Eerin - Thanks, glad you dig! Ah, and you're correct (as so many others are), I need more coloured stuff. I swear that I'll churn those out when I finish my mermaid (Ooh, I got the 100th? Hoorays are in order!)
    pencilgeek - Thanks for the compliments, man

-----------

Phew. That was fun

Now, my last week wasn't very productive. If at all, actually. Thing is, I got really sick pretty much all week and hardly had the strength to browse the internets in my boredom, let alone draw. To top that, I also got incredibly frustrated every time I picked up a pencil (before/after sickness), so I'm afraid I don't have a lot to offer this time...

Except! I finished one of the paintings At frigging last! Just in one go, yesterday and some finishing touches today. I realize I don't have a mermaid wip, so I'm hoping that maybe just throwing your erasers will suffice for today?

But as you can see, I did some changes. Mainly the big cropping and background change. I think the older comp was a bit static (the standard A4 format), and since I spent the most time on their faces, I wanted to bring that into focus. And this is happening in a dream (yeah, it's a scene in my friend's book), so the BG is mostly a blurry sky. Too much? Too distracting? Too anything? Took me a while to decide on this after experimenting with many others. Hm.

I will take all advise and pointers to heart, if only for future works, but I really don't want to change anything unless it's a glaring fault or such. I just really want to put it behind me and start something new, but again, I welcome all observations, so don't be shy (Huh, so this is what it feels like to finish a painting...)

Name:  aine-noah.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  351.0 KB

And just a few sketches as well, not a lot...
    Name:  andresisofa.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  199.0 KB
    Name:  andresisofa2.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  165.8 KB

The warrior lady was inspired by the Red Sonja CHOW, doodled at work. Also, that happy girl portrait is based off a sketch (or what I remembered off it), but I can't remember who the artist is :/
    Name:  barbari-etc.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  244.8 KB

So. Crits? Comments? Erasers?

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Asa! The colours are looking great on that last piece! I'd say take another layer, add some more depth to the dark values, they get flat in some places like the guy's elbow and where his chest goes behind the girl. In that note, maybe another layer, with very slight and few details, to really articulate the highlights would be of great help. The background's working nicely as well, don't forget to create it beautifully too, but not to the point as to where it distracts from the focus!

Your linework in the sketches are looking a lot better, too!

I trust that you're not sick anymore and feel much better

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

20. The Following User Says Thank You to IanE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow nice pencils keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sent you a PM about getting a group started! Did you also notice our names on CA are the identical format? IanE, AsaB... crazy arch students with like minds!

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey AsaB, you rocked this last one and lovin' the sketches -- keep the good times rolling on in my AsaB!! Thanks for the encouragements too!!!***

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    advice i'd give is just making sure your expressions are consistent to convey the emotion you want. i think it may have been a little stronger if the guy's eyebrows were slanted up more instead of slanted down like they are. a great book i recommend is Gary Faigin's Artist's Guide to Facial Expressions, which gives AWESOME guidance for hitting the key points that give expressions their signature looks. nice job with the painting; i REALLY like the fabrics.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

25. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Asab, lovin this sb!
    really dig the sketches and life drawings and that last painting fuckin AWESOME!
    Great fabric and colour, your concept sketches are really cool and studys are going great!

thanks for sharing,

matt,

:
    In the absence of light, dark will prevail.

see my NEW sketchbook[UPDATED] http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=123027
    Trained by...
    http://www.thedrawingstudio.co.nz/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love your pencil sketches!

Sketchbook
    DevArt

The world is filled with people who were given great natural gifts, sometimes conspicuosly flashy gifts, yet never produce anything. And when that happens, the world soon ceases to care whether they are talented.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahahaha. Man, that painting's intense. That hair and drapery must have taken you hours!! @__@ Very well done. I really enjoy the loose life sketches, too. There's a lot of personality in your line. You get a lot of weight and information across with very few lines.
    Grats on finishing your first big painting!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, you're done! And it took you only like a hundred years haha Time to move on now!

Loving the pencils too Pretteh < 3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work!! loving it! i dont know how you manage to draw those women hehehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and your audry is amazing HAHAH sorry had to add that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay that painting came out good. Yup, time to move on to the next big thing. You know what you should be really proud of is those drapes in the clothing...IMO...you nailed those. I keep looking at the folds in the dress on the girl.

Nice sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the warrior lady
    That last painting is very dramatic and nice
    But the way her collar bone sticks out kid of bothers me, I mean she's a skinny girl but it looks a smidge extreme.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bone Toss

Dropped by
    to check out
    your threads

Thanks for
    dropping by
    and feeding
    the monkey

35. The Following User Says Thank You to mentler For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 19