Sketchbook: Ása's drawing journal [March 17th-Update at last!] - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Ása's drawing journal [March 17th-Update at last!]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice work. I thought your stuff looked good at the beginning ( your little witch is so cute!), but I see you've gotten even better. I -love- that mermaid's tail!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Madfishmonger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Back from camping and a busy week! Replieees:

algenpfleger - Thanks so much! And yes, I know, I totally lose my looseness when painting and just finishing pieces in general. Must fix. And yeah, I actually do intend to keep the outlines in the painting. I realize it's a crutch, but I'll try to leave it next time! Your other advise was excellent and simply spot on. I'm putting it down on my list to do to improve (yeah, it's actual, haha).
    ~Faust~ - Thanks! Also for pushing me to update, that is muchly needed But here I am, updating. The anatomical points about the mermaids were very helpful, thanks again. I haven't done any more work on her, but I'll keep all those points in mind when I do, which should be soon.
    purb36 - Thanks man! You've got a very valid point regarding her hair, I'll try my best to shape it 3Dmensionally when I colour
    Malakai SinClair - Hey man and thanks! What, ripping the line art? How did you kn...? Ok, I kid. Thanks, that's a great compliment! And thanks yet again for pushing me to udate, god knows I need that.
    PlasmaErnst - Thanks man! Haha, out of the responses to the mermaid I did not see a "tasty" comment coming I guess you like fish! I'll try to colour her soon, yep.
    Quinn Simoes - Thanks so much! Very glad people are liking the mermaid, she'll be giving the colour treatment pronto.
    MnM - Thanks I'll colour her soon!
    Rist - Ooh, thank you, that's a neat compliment I can see where you get that, makes me really happy to hear!
    ohnojenny - Hi again and thanks! Very glad to hear all those kind words, ego boosts are essential occasionally I hope you'll use the Loomis books a lot, they've helped me tons.
    The Whistler - Thanks so much for the kind words! Excellent advise too, I see what you mean. I'll try to make some tweaks to make it better
    Renegade89 - Thanks man! Yeah, I need to work on my anatomy better, you're right. I'll try to fix that in my mermaid.
    yousa - Aw, thank you! Really flattered to hear that! And yeah, I've heard of the owners of the Nikita brand (which I really dig!), although not personally, heh. They're known in Finland?
    Demo - Thank you! People seeing improvement in my work means a lot to me. And you're right about the looseness being lost and all square-y in my finished work. I really should pay closer attention to that, thanks for the hint.
    Clochette - Thanks so much! Again, very much glad to hear people seeing improvement, it's such a confidence booster
    J.Boswell - Aye, aye, captain! 'Ere be them updates!
    Hadesdream - Thanks man Ooh, that thing about the eye totally makes sense. I'll try to fix it!
    Madfishmonger - Thank you! That was such a nice comment, glad you liked the witch And the mermaid's tail as well, it was so much fun to draw!

Alriiiighty. These are mostly sketches and I'm afraid I've got no WIPs of my current projects (being that god forsaken painting and mermaid), but I've got studies and stuff.

For the weekly SSB activity, I chose the subject 'witch doctor rookie'. I did loads of studies for it, but I'm afraid the final product is nothing like I wanted (=lame). Time shortage is to bame. But here are the sketches:
    Name:  wd6.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  294.5 KB
    Name:  wd5.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  285.0 KB
    Name:  wd4.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  210.3 KB
    Name:  wd3.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  196.9 KB
    Name:  wd2.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  241.4 KB
    Name:  wd1.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  198.5 KB
    And the final:
    Name:  witchdoctor.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  321.9 KB

Random sketch of my brother, whose likeness I simply cannot put down to paper. Damn his perfectly aligned features.
    Name:  kari.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  243.8 KB

A quick sketch of myself in the clothes I wore at the time. No ref. Never mind the utter and complete background FAIL.
    Name:  sjalfsmynd2.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  114.6 KB

Sketches of the mermaid, this is the face I ended up inking (sketched the body in PS). Also studies of Katara from Avatar, but I got a request of doing her in a Fire Nation wedding dress. I'm so terrible, I've got two big projects looming over my shoulder but can't resist doing this!
    Name:  skissur-180708.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  282.3 KB

And I just started the ink:
    Name:  katara-wedding1.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  218.5 KB

Okay! I hope to finish that painting soon. Honestly, I'm starting to dislike it a whole lot. I'm looking forward to start work on the mermaid so hopefully you'll see some good progress on these two in my next batch. Until then!

Last edited by AsaB; July 29th, 2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: forgot a few replies :x
    sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Asa

You had some very good preliminary sketches for the witch doctor, i say the final could have used some more loving, i kinda like the roughs better, ok not intentions of being a prick is just that the final has sa omewhat neutral body and face expression, it could use some of the funny looks and poses from the first pages, you got it captured right there.

You got a cute way of cartooning, the sp and the last girl look real nice , the little Asas around the sketches are funny hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love how you put that much effort into the withdoctordesign! Thumbs, characterstudies, preliminary scetches, your orkethic is really stunning, too bad you ran out of time in the end But hey, you can always finish him, right?

But what's really awesome is that selfportrait you did. Seeing the reflection that we have in our self often really helps us redefine our drawing of other faces, since e always put a bit of ourselves into our drawings. This just helps controlling the ammount , also it holds just as much credibility and rightousness as a perfect representational Selfportrait.
    On top of that, the likeness is really strong, you've outdone yourself here! Very beautiful!
    Also, nice start on the last inking, but I fear that you again begin the mistake you did with an earlier painting by putting too much folding into the drapery, maknig it look less beleivable. Hard to tell at this stage, though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oooooh where should I start? Such wonderful stuff!

That self portrait is really lovely haha. Pretteeeeeh.

And I love all the sketches, your lines are getting really loose and free, great to see actually. But remember to do some paintwork too, you won't get faster and more efficient if you don't paint a lot! Aaaaaand if you'd paint over the outlines you wouldn't even have to go through that tedious inking process.

Aaand that last sketch rocks. Seriously. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice process on that witch doctor piece, and wonderful job on that self portrait.

Just to expand on Algenpfleger's idea:

I think was in one of William Whitaker's tutorials that he talked about painting over the lines. In fact, I think he makes an effort to do it. It sounded like an important part of his process--so it might be worth experimenting. You can always come back and ink it after painting it....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dig that portrait of your brother, great rendering!
    And all the other sketching is really nice anyway.

Kepp it up :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, I really love how you draw faces. They have so much character in them, so much personality! So many different expressions... I'll aspire to do that. :3
    Great portrait of your brother. I like the detail of teh eyes and nose... did he sit still for you? I know people just hate posing for drawings. Haha.
    And... Katara in a wedding dress? Did she end up getting hooked? I stopped watching that show because I never caught it on. D:
    Great wicked look to the mermaid... I wish I could find a crit with something... her neck does perk my interest, but it could be just me.
    And awesome self portrait! Love your shirt. Backgrounds are something I really need to work on too... I'm thinking of tackling them after I get the human body down better...
    Good work! Update soon!

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."
    The Killers -- Midnight Show

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work on your upcoming pieces! Keep going with it... you definitely have the process down.
    That painting of yourself is pretty good without a reference to draw off of. And you did good in trying to do a bunch of preliminary sketches before actually working with the final result. Although the final could use more work, you met your deadline, especially since you've been so busy.
    Anyway, keep it up.

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the gestural quality of your lines...and also looking back to page one of this sketchbook and comparing it to this...give yourself a pat on the back, you've improved a lot! Keep going, my friend. Dang...really love those pencils. Especially the sketches third from the top. Onward, now! More!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey cool stuff again AsaB. I like the drawing of your brother though you said it doesn't look like him
    Also the drawing of yourself looks good expect the knees and thighs look a bit flat.

Keep it up!

As for Iceland, I've been there and I know the owners of Nikita so I was just curious if you happened to know them because it's such a small place. Would love to visit again it is one of the most beautiful places in the world I've been to. Wait are you doing any landscapes?! You definitely ought to

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
    -Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I must say that I envy your mastery of the human form. One of the greatest challenges I have when I draw is deciding how I want the subject of my drawing to be positioned as well as getting the physiology as accurate as you can.

The faces are a bit cartoony, but I'm assuming that's the style you're going for. Overall, your anatomy is to the point, but every now and then a limb looks a little wonky, but I guess, with any artist you'll have that occasionally.

47th Sketch Brigade AsaB| PlasmaErnst | Malakai | MnM | Renegade89 | J.Boswell | ~Faust~ | Angel2342

Strand of Life, Love and Lignamira

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Asa B!! Post more stuff dude... I wanna see more stuff come on don't be shy!! Ha ha, K

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow i am impressed by the amount of work you did for the ssb.
    I´ll try that too
    nice portrait and inking...but no mermaid yet
    I am curios to see your monsters...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool and detailed style u r showing here. I really like how u use the pencil! Nice strokes and atmospheres. Totally cool style! keep it up, ill be back!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Replies!

Renegade89 - Thanks man! No worries, you're not being a prick, I absolutely agree! The roughs were far superior to the final product. I just got too short on that damn time again. Haha, you noticed the little Asas, huh? Silly habit, been doing this for years.
    Faust - Look, I'm updating! But thank you so much, buddy, I really appreciated what you said regarding my SP, it was a major ego boost which I need now And heh, yeah, the final witch doctor design was a major let down compared to the pre work. I'll try to be more organized from now on. I had your tip about too much drapery in mind when inking my Katara picture, I hope it looks ok
    algenpfleger - Hey buddy, and thanks for all the compliments! Really glad you see line improvement, great to hear. And poof, yeah, you're very right, I need to do more painting. I swear I have a slight phobia of it sometimes, I'm such a complete rookie in it But I'll push through. And I actually enjoy inking a lot (it might show..?) but again you're right, I need to do more inkless painting
    Sedig - Thank you! Ah, the non-inking painting thing really is important, huh? I guess everyone's right, I'll try to run out of my comfort zone now and do something about this! Thanks for the heads up and kind words!
    Kurjuus - Thanks a lot! Glad you liked that sketch, even though I didn't nail the likeness
    ohnojenny - Hi again and thanks so much! Nah, my brother didn't sit still, I just took a webcam photo of him, heh. The other would've been a better idea, though! And whoa, you didn't get into Avatar? Give it a second chance, girl! I promise it'll get better, 3rd season is wicked! In the case you'll obey I won't tell you Katara's fate just yet Thanks for the other tips and compliments, means a lot!
    Malakai SinClair - Thanks, man Yeah, the final witch doctor sucked, plain and simple. Glad you liked the pre work, though! I'll have to get more organized, dangit. Thanks regarding the SP too!
    sketcheth - Whoa, thanks! You like my pencils? I mean, mine, really? I'm flattered! Your pencils are like a feast to my eyes so this means a lot Glad you're seeing improvement in the lines, it does to much to simply know what I'm doing is paying off.
    YuZa - Thanks a lot! I agree the legs in my SP suck, after all, legs are my weak point. I'll have to get some more studies out on those And ooh, you've been here? That's pretty cool! Heh, it's true though, the chances of me knowing them are big, we're all like a big family up here. I don't, though, but I love their stuff. And yes, landscapes! I've been meaning to do more enviroment speedies lately and actually using photos I've taken this summer. I went camping twice and I've got a bunch of nice photos to use
    angel2342 - Hi and thanks, new sketchie Wow, I really appreciate the compliment but I think you're giving me way too much credit! I've hardly mastered the human form yet but I'm flattered you think so of my work. I'll try to work harder to meet up the expectations!
    kelly x - Haha, thanks girl! My organization skills haven't been feeling well lately, something that has to change! Here's an update then
    PlasmaErnst - Thanks, fellow sketchie I find it necessary to do some pre work, studies and research before tackling a complex topic like the ones we have in our SSB. I recommend you try it yourself! And yeah, oof, sorry, no mermaid in this update either
    Murido - Thank you! What an awesome and nice comment

Ok, I know I promised WIPs of the mermaid and the notorious couple painting but know what? Time management. Apparently not my forté lately. This includes the (yet again) room switching and a little cabin trip.

But enough excuses! I thought I just had to update, despite me not having the promised WIPs, since it's been a week and just show stuff from my almost-daily sketchbook (physical one).

Well, on to the work.

She looks weird, but in my defense, she was awfully thin.
    Name:  nude1.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  159.7 KB

More nude gals. I realized too late that the foreshortening arm seems like an extended leg out of that upper girl. Really separate drawings!
    Name:  skissur2-050708.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  260.5 KB

Random chick.
    Name:  skissa2-060708.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  91.9 KB

More random chicks, no ref.
    Name:  Skissur-050708.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  305.8 KB

A sudden second attempt at a SP using the same ref as I used last time. Gah, likeness fail, yet again. Also lips fail.
    Name:  skissa-060708.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  133.3 KB

Ok, I've got no idea where that big weird lady came from. This is what happens when I've got nothing planned but keep drawing anyway :/ The lower face was actually a SP attempt...gah.
    Name:  skissur3-060708.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  255.4 KB

Here's an ID I did for dA. Not share-worthy, except this is the photo I used for ref in the sketch above. It's embarrassing, but I'm trying to share everything here, not just the good-enough stuff.
    Name:  devID.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  107.2 KB

Speaking of which, more bad stuff.
    Name:  skossifail.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  127.4 KB

And yeah, I used a couple hours and actually finished the Katara wedding drawing. It was just so much fuuun! I really do love cel-shading.
    Name:  katara-wedding.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  411.5 KB

Alright, here's the one from the weekly SSB activity. Topic was "Two monsters fighting on an Aztec temple" Out of my comfort zone much? Yes. A couple sketches, would've liked to do more but ran out of time and tackled the big thing.
    Name:  aztec-skrimsli-skissur1.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  179.2 KB
    Name:  aztec-skrimsli-skissur2.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  147.6 KB

Just went and did a loose yet final sketch.
    Name:  azteca-skrimsli.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  270.3 KB

I started to ink the bugger but then...
    Name:  azteca-skrimsli-ink.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  126.0 KB

...I thought no. I'm doing something different, damn it! So I started over and somehow got this! I know it's weird.
    Name:  azteca-skrimslin.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  284.2 KB

And that's that. If I won't have WIPs for the mermaid and couple in my next update feel free to throw your pencils at me

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, hello! Asa, your huge updates always are astonishing... how do you do it?
    So were your first couple figures drawn from a reference? It's good to study all body types, I suppose. :3 Working out of the comfort zone!
    And I'd like to say, I really do love the variation in faces you have -- even if it's just tweaking the shape of the lips. You really have that down well, good job!
    You know... I never could get into cell shading. :3 I always felt so... restricted. Haha. You did it so well, though, I could see it on the show. :3 And I will admit, some episodes were really cool... maybe I can get back to it by watching the online streams...
    And... what's an SSB? :3 Great job on your studies, and the final came out to look pretty cool! It's definitely different -- again, REALLY GOOD that you're working outside of your comfort zone. Is this something algenpfleger suggested earlier?

Keep it up!

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."
    The Killers -- Midnight Show

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right! Well starting from page 1 I had an excellent critique for you, but you seem to have corrected it on your own! I'll leave it to you anyway so you'll remember it! At first you had a lot of lines being put down just to represent 1 segment or curve or shape. Lots of lines many times in one place. As your pages grew in here you started to use less lines to convey the same image. This is good. Try and think about the way each line look in your head, why it's critical to the entire piece, where it connects and how and for what reasons, the way it moves, and also the weight it has, the shape to the line itself. See it in your head, then draw it once in its entirety, and if the one on paper doesn't match the one in your head, just erase it and draw it again! It sounds like a long process but it really happens in about 2 or 3 seconds. Your lines have gotten a lot better since page one, along with everything else. Keep it up, I enjoyed this sketchbook!

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

23. The Following User Says Thank You to IanE For This Useful Post:

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one... Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Asab, I greatly enjoy your updates, so much fluidity in your lines. I also like how diverse you are drawing different character faces and expressions. That's something I will need to practice for sure.
    About the self portraits, it is indeed hard to get something satisfying but it is something that comes along with practice and a lot of patience. In some of my experience, I found that it mainly depends on the relative distance between the different elements, such as between the eyes, mouth to nose, etc. Just be critical about it and take your time with them. Also, I heard that with SPs the best ways are just to do them from life, you will learn a lot than from a photograph, especially since it is something you always carry around and add a mirror to that. If you want to try profile views, you can use a two-mirror setup for that, even heard of a guy who did that with a mirror and his webcam. I can share that info if you are interested.

And the cell shading is done very well and it is something hard to do sometimes. Not to sure about the backlighting since it can be seen too much affecting the character besides the main front light. Just a comment about it. Anyways, keep updating!

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Maestro Andres For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, yes...lovely pencils...and wow, that little self portrait you have really shows it. Great line quality...so much variation in it.
    That's some lovely cell shading...and some funky vector is looking stuff...I think pushing the lights and darks in it could help...but I'm unsure of how difficult or easy that may be.
    The figure studies are lovely, keep at it!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh so many different thiiiiiiiiiiingssssss!

Haha don't worry about painting, just take a big, round brush and start pushing color around. Like, fingerpaint. Celshading without outlines isn't working, so don't worry about clean strokes, instead, try to describe the form with their direction

About the selfportraits, the main thing is... doing a lot helps a lot D: The first thing you must do now is losing your fear and tackle everything that is outside your comfort zone. There's no better way to learn

Having that said, I love all the sketches and characters, there's something about the way you draw female faces that I think is totally awesome. So keep it up

See you around!

Mon Chat is offline Honestly didn't mean to offend you! Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankyou for that most awesome of crits, line economy and finishing work are both now at the top of the list for this next project, im really gonna try and finish this one (challenge)

line economy is always something i've had dificulty with, i dont know why but i have this overwhelming urge to scribble everywhere...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, you are getting quite a following AsaB!

I think it's great that you self-critique, but remember, self-critique is the harshest critique you can get. Sometimes you just gotta let it go I suppose...

I've recently started to delve into newer studies of my own. Nude figure is kind of intimidating, mainly because I've never done it before... but I'm trying 0.o

Can't wait to see how everyone does on the new activity

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Girl!! Your new studies are rock'in and looking very stylish as well as Anatomically (spell?) correct... You are so cool! K

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    awesome cool! your art is a joy to browse thank you for sharing so much of it - more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe even giant carnivores look cute in here .

It seems you like to choose for your faces and figures a lot young people, which is not bad but maybe trying out with a wider variety like oldies, chubbies or anything could be interesting in the long run. When i remember the old Dysney films, characters who usually had a really wide range of interesting expressions for me were usually the secondary characters, the old witches, the 7 gnomes, etc even when they werent following the same canons that the prince or the princess.

Asymmetry is not always bad either, it may ruin some beauty if prince charming shows asimetric features but when the hordes from hell and filthy orcs have it it may enhanced it. Is just trying different thing on different occasions.

bakatron is offline toronto blue jays fan... i'm serious.... stop laughing at me okay?? Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really love your work. i think the only thing i see lacking in that really clever line work is opposing curves. nail that and youre godlike.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey AsaB,great work! i really like the stylized figures of yours(specially the katara character a couple of pages back and the quick drawings of your clothes)
    very nice characters(like the little witch).
    nice lifedrawings. some of your lastest sketches(the page with females heads) have a bit of distortions and form problems, you were drawing too far from the paper or on an angle?
    the self portrait(the last one) have a pointed chin, but in the photo your chin is not pointed. instead of a picture you could use a mirror, is more fun and you can see better your face and head.
    well just some suggestions, hope you don't mind.
    very good work. waiting for more updates!

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very glad I stopped by this SB. Lots of great stuff going on in here, I love the personalities of your characters, they really come across strong. The mermaid is pure gold
    It is clear though that you do not love your aztec fighting critters the same way you love your other characters. The skill is there but, there is no life or spark. Hope that makes some sort of sense. Going to keep looking in here though. Great things a happening.

Insight. Honor. Morality. Perspective.
    Because nothing makes love and life matter more than the knowledge that someday it must end.

My Sketchbook

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 19