Sketchbook: Ása's drawing journal [March 17th-Update at last!] - Page 7

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh its a shame the tattoo artist didnt preserve the beautiful lines. Nice designs, great sense of beauty motion and flow

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello AsaB

Good sb, there´s some noticeable progress from page 1 to here. I like how your linework has stepped up, first page sketches had some shaky and thick outlines that had change to become more refined and confident strokes, gestures are looking nice.

I like the couple picture.
    I think you could add some stronger shadows in the areas that are blocked from light. Another thing is that there´s seem to be a lot of "cool" colors on the characters, a few warms tones could make them pop out more, like on the skintone where light hits with more intensity for example.
    Just a though, i´m not so good with colors so take it with a grain of salt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renegade89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Asab,
    Enjoyable sketchbook, Great Linework!
    I hope i ll see more soon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Asa B, post more we need to see more!! K

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great cloth on those figures, your sketchbook is really nice (could use more art!)

Moleskines, the sketchbooks have far better paper, but thats not to say that the notebooks are a waste of time! i myself use a sketchbook, (i've filled one and a third so far!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hæhæ your new stuff is amazing the painting with the 2 people is so cool! youve gotten so much better in digital painting!!! congratz

endilega haltu áfram og ég held áfram að kíkja við

kv. Gauji

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. Really nice sketchbook. http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1203604889 - this one is my favourite sketch here. I also like the witch that you have as avatar. Her face expression always make me smile when I look at it .

In the last painting with the couple the colors seem to be good but you need to push values in few places. Maybe do few black&white thubnails on the side. When you paint on small pic, you need to focus on larger shapes instead of details and there is no fear of making stronger contasts. If it looks right on thumbnail, it will look right full-size.

Cheers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the tattoo you designed its mad. Your work is so clean, and your colours are coming along nicely too keep it up.

This account is dead but my sketchbook holds in it my humble beginnings
    SKETCHBOOK NEW SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Asa B! You rock! You should order a skull to it is helping already to paint from life and thanks & this was 20 minute study, but want to take it further-- Plaster cast of real skull w/teeth... Trying to do a study a day as well as the real work... How's Iceland?? come to visit me anytime ya want too... I'm adding you to my threads!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is a record, I swear. Thank you, thank you, everyone for commenting. It keeps me going

Sedig - Thanks for the helpful comment I agree absolutely, this is my weakness, seeing the whole. I'll try my best to work on it, hopefully it'll come eventually. I've learned heaps doing this painting!
    hedwordup - Thanks! You've got a point, though, my finished coloured work often loses its fluidity. I'll try to improve on that, thanks again
    algenpfleger - Thanks man! Ooh, I'll push the saturation in the midtones, thanks for the tip!
    TheGnoll - Wow thanks Haha, finally someone mentioned my Godzilla legs! It's true, they're my weakness. Reminds me to do some anatomy studies!
    hurricane - Thanks so much for checking in! Really glad you liked the witch, thanks again!
    Glory666 - That's very nice of you, thanks a lot! Always nice to hear that I'm improving, I really hope so.
    Chate Noire - Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words, means a lot
    Sebastianrenaissance - Thanks man
    trout - Thank you for the comment, glad to hear it. Thanks for the line variety tip, I remembered it when I did my newest inking!
    mya - Aw, thanks! I'm so glad people are liking the figures, they're so darn hard.
    ~Faust~ - Thanks, fellow sketchie, for the excellent advise! I both darkened the BG and pushed the values even more. I hope this is better. I'm afraid I saw your comment about the horizontal lines in the middle too late, but I'm throwing this up now and if everyone hates that, I'll fix them.
    DanielC - Hey, thanks so much! I definitely need to do more of life drawings, thanks for the reminder
    sketcheth - Thanks! That's a new, you like my faces? I always think I need more practice in them, but I'm glad someone's liking them, I love drawing faces! And yes, what can I say, I've got endless patience when inking, I love it.
    Ash888 - Thanks for checking in! I agree (and others!) on the mouth, so I fixed it in this update, hopefully it's somewhat better.
    kelly x - Hey girl, thanks for the comments! Haha, you rock too, you know that and thanks for the invitation! I have to get myself a skull, apparently, seems like great practice. Iceland's doing good, although the weather might improve bits. As usual.
    Trashy - Thanks a lot I pushed them values somewhat, hopefully it looks better. Glad you liked the tattoos!
    Hyptosis - Aw, thank you, that's really nice
    Malakai SinClair - Hey Mal, fellow sketchie! Thanks for the awfully nice comment, I'm flattered! Haha, you shouldn't be intimidated by me, I'll try to be nice I'm glad you liked my lines, they're so darn hard. If you feel like I can teach you something about them, just drop me a line (pun definitely intended!).
    MnM - Hi, sketchie, thanks for that! Glad you liked the cartoons
    SanXavier - Thanks a lot, man! That's great to hear.
    MonkeYoakum - Thank you! I agree greatly, the lines on her arms don't quite work as well. Typical, I put so much work into those few lines!
    Renegade89 - Thanks, fellow SSBer Great advise! I'll do that, your point seems very valid. I need all the help I can get regarding colour!
    PlasmaErnst - Another SSBer! Thanks so much, man, I'm so surprised people comment so much on my linework, but I sure am flattered.
    J.Boswell - And the final fellow sketchie! Thanks man! I agree that I definitely need to churn out some more art Thanks for the Moleskine advise too, I'll get myself a proper sketchbook next time.
    sjuskadur - Takk, takk! It's amazing how this one piece has taught me much about digital painting. I highly recommend it! Thanks for stopping by!
    Farvus - Hey man, wow, thanks for commenting That sketch you linked is actually a failed SP, although the actual drawing maybe ain't so bad. Really glad to hear the little witch puts a smile on your face
    Great advise about the BW thumbnails. Seems like a very logical thing to do, I'm gonna try that!
    remmy - Wow, thanks! Glad the tattoos are liked

Wow. Again, thanks so much everyone for dropping me a line. It means a lot to me that people appreciate my work.

I joined a terribly friendly and talented SSB recently, so I hope that'll keep my pencil going faster than usual! But I'm afraid I don't have a huge update now. I've been kinda busy because I'm switching rooms here at home (finally, after 14 years in this little one), so that's been stealing some time.
    But here's at least something for you all to chew on

An SP. I look like a 30 year old latino girl :/ (So far from the truth, I'm a pale blonde)
    Name:  eg-150708.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  110.1 KB

And of course some more progress on my dear painting! I think I'm getting pretty done with the girl. Pushed some values, darkened the BG, redid her hair etc. What do you nice people think?
    Name:  an_colour_wip9.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  205.9 KB

And last but not the least, this is something I did just last night. I was awake until 4 am, actually, but I just couldn't stop, it was so much fun! This is a request by a friend. She gave me a detailed description about her mermaid and I finally got this out. It's hard to do creepy things for me! Well, at least I hope she comes off as fairly creepy, she ain't a nice mermaid like Ariel.

I meant to make her all realistic painterly like my painting above, but honestly? I don't think I have the stamina. The other one takes so much time and sweat and blood that I think I need a break from that and pull out some studies before I take on another big painting. So I'm thinking of cel-shading it, but I'll try to keep it tall moody and dim instead of a frame from a happy cartoon.

She'll be all covered in scales, still now sure how to achieve that purely with colours. I tried inking it but it just came out messy. Brainstorming now.

But yes. Any comments on the ink would be awesome before I start the colouring
    Name:  hafmeyjan_ink1.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  184.8 KB

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oooooooh what's this? You? Updating? A joke I say

That selfportrait is so damn pretty. I love the looseness of your pencil strokes. Kinda makes me wonder where this looseness is when you work digitally? Free yourself! About your painting, when are you planning to start going over the outlines? Or do you intend to leave them in there? D:

That mermaid blows my mind. Hey you know what? The reason you think that painting it would cost a lot of stamina is that you are not painting, but coloring. Why don't you try going over the outlines from the very beginning, or staying beneath them just in the first phase? That would make things a whole lot easier. I think you should spend some time painting directly in shapes, without any lines. Maybe from life or reference if you want, but you should definitely do it to lossen up a little

And please update more often my dear!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do what Hannes said. Especially the updating

The ink is beautiful, really. Very envious here, your Lineweight is phenomenal, I guess drawing cartoon-characters all day long does somehow pay
    Some minor crits on here anatomy, though (I know, I'm a prick), the ribcage looks weird, not quite sure wether that's supposed to be muscles or bones, in anycase it bends outside in a very strange way. You might want to go into that. Minor things with the arm in the back, the bulk under her shoulder is not human. Also her Buttocks look a little flat after you twisted around the whole rest of the body. You might want to define this area more.
    Her face is gorgeous.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude.

about the hair, just watch out that you remember the 3d-ness of it. meaning, it comes from her head all the way over her far shoulder. if that's what you want, you can do that; i would suggest (when you paint it) bringing some of it more towards the viewer from behind the shoulder. just a thought. maybe make her butt bigger, and give more volume down to the "knees". g'luck dude, and like algen said, do more painting; itll help.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

19. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow! This new one is very pro indeed. That looks like you ripped the lines right out of a comic or concept art! GREAT!!

COLOR COLOR COLOR!

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice update asa...i like the mermaid tasty
    i agree with algenpfleger about the coloring/painting thing...
    i am curious to see the painted mermaid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the "creepy" mermaid so far, look forward to seeing her with color.

Keep up the great work!

Quinn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello
    I love the mermaid lines so far, you should def take that further
    the painting progress is nice as well!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    I like how your manga is almost not manga if you know what I mean? Its like west meets east in a way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm fascinated with how well you draw the human figure -- especially women! You'd think by being a girl, I'd at least have that down, but no... :3
    Your crisp linearts are something to be proud of. They're so clean. And so are your digital works! That last one with the couple, the colors are nicely chosen. The skin tones have a nice, more neutral and saturated tone to them. :3 I like. And the work on the clothing themselves? Just -- ah. I like a lot. :3

Can't wait for more!

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."
    The Killers -- Midnight Show

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers for the comment, im a tad stuck on the legs at the moment, im really happy with the left one (her left) but the right one... if it were bent she would fall over, but i just cant figure it out :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey AsaB! Thanks a bunch for visiting my SB, thought of coming here to return the favor

You have some great stuff in here, I love the speedie in post #55, and the SP in #190 looks awesome, it would look great colored.

Only crit I have is about the mermaid - her face looks a bit narrow on the side - maybe giving her a bit longer jawbone would help, and her skull seems a bit small compared the size of the face - maybe some volume in the back part of the head would help (so you don't have to change the face which looks great).
    Also, the arm closer to us seems like it's not attached to a shoulderblade, but that might be just me since it's kinda late over here...

Everything else looks great, keep up the good work

Cheers!

Sketchbook .... Blog .... DevArt .... Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice improvement on the couple, i think the volumes read better now, keep at it

I think the lines of the mermaid looks good, though faust did made some good oservations on her anatomy. Hope to see it finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AsaB,

So much good and beautiful stuff here. Great life studies as well. No crits for now, just keep it up and post more
    You from Iceland? Then you must know Runar and Heida who own Nikita?

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
    -Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, AsaB!
    Just wanted to say, "Thank you!" for the link to those Loomis pages. I just started using them, and they're a real help! I'm going to do some anatomy studies from that PoseManiac website you gave me, too.
    Can't wait for an update on your stuff!

Sketchbook

"Drive faster, boy..."
    The Killers -- Midnight Show

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your style and from the first page to the last im seeing improvement. the only thing id suggest is that in your gesture drawings the seems to be some what a distortion and kind of a nice curvieness to your lines and in some of your more finle pieces im seeing kind of a square jaw and squarish completion, id sugguest bringing some of the distortion and curvieness to your pieces and i think it would turn out even more amazing

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As your SSG-comrade i demand you to UPDATE for the sake of the revolution! ДАВАИ! ДАВАИ!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey AsaB !
    The last sketch is great !
    I like the pose and the attitude of this dark mermaid. ^^
    Really improving since the beginning of your book !
    Keep posting!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic sketchbook. I really like your most recent line work. The color in the pair above the mermaid is really beautiful. My only crit is that something appears slightly off in the males eyes. I can't quite put a finger on it but it seems as though the eyebrows don't match each other or the eyes. One has an open arc and the other seems more angled downward which works if reflected properly in the eye. Then again, I could be wrong...just what I see. Anyway beautiful stuff, I'd love to see that mermaid in color!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombunny27 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second the motion for an update! I want to see the colorized mermaid creature!! :0

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5