Sketchbook: Ása's drawing journal [March 17th-Update at last!] - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Ása's drawing journal [March 17th-Update at last!]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey very nice sb you got really cool stuff and i like your lines very clean and tidy

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this stuff is really nice. i love those gesture sketches and portraits, it looks like you captured a likeness very well. your already studying what you should be, so just keeping drawing!

Incessant Doodlings of a Wandering Mind (my sketchbook)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96904

"Avoidance of what you can't draw well doesn't stimulate growth." -Cory Trego-Erdner

"Only the mediocre are always at their best."-Jean Giraudoux

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    lilnebo - Thanks so much!
    Ignominious - Thanks for the nice comment, appreciated And yes, I'll just keep on practicing!

Damn, it's been exactly a month since I updated. School's been quite hectic lately, but that's still a lame excuse! I hope that won't happen again. Thought I'd still throw up my latest batch of doodles.

These are some studies from Loomis' face/hand book and also some sketches for a request I got from a friend, along with the sketch itself. I've yet to tweak that some, fix the girl's face and put some details and such. We'll see.

Feel free to crit to pieces, as usual!

Attached Images Attached Images                
    sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there!

Your pencil stuff is ace! The works you coloured at the start of the thread could use some more punch. Try "layering your colours" a bit more, mix them, use a lot of colours. Grass isn't green, it's a mix of blue, red, yellow and whatnot, if you get what I mean. And a thing that somebody once said to me was, "don't think of your line art as being sacred" meaning that you can paint over it aswell as under it.

Nice!

Thanks for commenting in my SB, much appreciated!

Cheers!

Piru's Portfolio - Piru.be - WACOM Buying Guide - SHOW your STUDIOS!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Uziel's SB! - Piru's Sketchbook & Epias' Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Piru - Thanks a lot, mate I'm aware that my colours need heaps of work, so thanks for confirming. I must admit that I'm still quite stuck in the "sky is blue, grass is green" when it comes to colour, I really have to stop that! Thanks for the tips and kind words, see you around

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mega nćs! Flottar skyssur. Seinasta skyssan lítur vel út, fíla andlitin. Peace, Pétur

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ok ok ok i admit it if i get any where near as good as you when am 21 i'll keep drawing non stop lmfao!!! Btw did i tell you your amazing!! i've commented on your Da before but your sketchbook is just pure class it also makes me feel really excited because am 13 and i just started getting serouise about art and since that was the age your started innn mhhhhm i'd love to be any where near as great as you KEEP UP THE AMAZING WORK
    and peace

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nibras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a great start. Your sketches and drawings are very clean and well handled. Keep doing the foundational stuff it will serve you well in the future.
    You mentioned color in a previous post...I had that same problem of being overly primary in my color choices. A good friend of mine who happened to be a great artist showed me his working palette one day...he did very realistic color in his work...his oil palette looked like tinted shades of mud with little or no pure color.

Anyway, keep up the figure drawing it's invaluable and it's working for you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Penumbra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the gesturals and the quick studies, as well as the life drawings. The stuff on this (the third?) page is really quite good.

I'm not a fan of the super-cartoony stuff at the beginning; perhaps because my stuff wanders toward that realm too, and I'm always fighting to get away from it. It's like what R. Crumb says in that Zwigoff documentary about his life and family - he acquired the "cuteness curse" when working at American Greetings.

My advice is definitely stick with the life drawing - those are my favorites of yours. Best of luck!

www.costumesketch.com
    I looked at yours, now you look at mine...sketchbook here

"The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger outta there." - Ralph Wiggum

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

"Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people." - Aleister Crowley

12. The Following User Says Thank You to madhatter106 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    paac - Takk kćrlega, frábćrt ađ fá smá hrós frá ţér
    lilnebo - Thank you so much for the kind words, I'm flattered! You're still so young that you've got plenty of time to improve, so by all means use it Keep it up!
    Penumbra - Thank you so much for stopping by! I'll definitely stick to the life drawing, it's great fun and challenging. Interesting to hear about the colour palette, I'm sure it'd do me good to study it harder. Realism is fun!
    madhatter106 - Thanks a lot for the encouragement I agree with you about my 1st page cartoony stuff, I'm actually trying my best to get away from that style now! Those pictures are almost a year old now. It's sometimes hard to break away from the habit, but I'm hopefully one my way.

I just thought I'd put up a WIP of the picture I'm working on. I'm still inking it, and I'm trying a more realistic approach this time. Definitely more time-consuming, but I think it's worth it. I also plan to colour this in a subtle and realistic way, or at least try to!

Any crits and comments are welcome

JPC is offline derailed artist trying to find his way back Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoah...I've been gone for a while and what do you know?...you just leveled up!
    Keep going girl!..looking forward to seeing you paint in "a more subtle and realistic way"...I know you can do it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey! Thanks for your comment on my SB! Now I'll return the favour...

I like your pencilled works most, they're very sketchy but mostly in a good way. About the last one, it's looking nice, very clean, confident lines, but is there going to be more hair? Otherwise she's got one hell of a cone-head! Maybe you could also try adding some more 'weight' to your lines in the right spots, you know, thicken them around hard edges, because right now they look a bit uniform.

Yngling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Yngling, and she also has no ears

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JPC - Aw, thank you! I like that, 'leveling up' I'll try my best at colouring!
    Yngling - Thanks mate, glad you dig the pencil ones Oh, and I forgot to mention, that yes, I've yet to ink all her hair! These are just her bangs so far, so she looks quite weird. I'm glad you mentioned the hard spots thing, because I intend to do so.
    PinkElephant - Hehe, as I said, her hair will come And I didn't ink her ears because the hair will cover them anyway.

I'm about halfway through with her hair now, hopefully she won't look like a conehead now I've also put some more weight into the lines, hope it looks somewhat better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook.
    Wow, you've improved a lot, your latest sketches are great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Occidental_Martyr - Thank you, that means a lot to hear!

Alrighty, I'm sorry if I'm overflowing you with WIPs, but I'd love to get any input on this before I start inking the guy tomorrow! Like with lineweight etc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah...already from page 1 to 3 you got better in your work. You got a real cool flow to your lines. Nice faces!

Your latest is looking fantastic. looking forward to seeing that maybe in color.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh I gotta say your girls are very beautiful, you know your stuff when it comes to drawing... well jaws. I'm so into how you draw them And that WIP is looking great as well. I admire everyone who has the patience to ink such clean lines one by one, I always get annoyed and throw color all over it so noone sees my messy lines

Good to see you picking up that Loomis stuff as well, it's really good.

Just went through the thread again. I love it! Will watch this sketchbook, please keep it up!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one... Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for stopping by my SB. Was greatly impressed by your initial stuff. Like how you were varying between different styles. Your faces so far have been delightful and of what I saw you are getting better. The sketchiness of your lines is something you will overcome with practice and more confidence. I heard it also helps working with a non-eraseable medium such as pen.

There is nice progress on the last wip. Good job with the current inking. Mind sharing how you are inking it digitally? (If it is of course). Only crit I find is that both hands look about the same size, in which the hand farther back should be a bit smaller than the one on her face. I think the front hand should be a tad bigger, just remember that the hand is about the size of the face. Hope that helps, looks good so far and keep looking forward for more

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hardest part for me is inking... but you have done a good job on that part Can't wait to see it colored. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been dropping by your sketchbook a few times by now so Guess It's time to make a comment. I really like how you treat faces. your lines feels very sensitive and delicate.

On this last one however what is happenign to the left arm + I can udnerstand that it must be goign backward due to the positioning of the lower arm. But her shoulder and body positionin or how the cloth reacts gives no indication to it instead it just looks really weird. Not sure how to fix it though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trashy - Thanks so much! It means a lot to hear about the improvement. And I plan to colour my latest
    algenpfleger - Thank you for the lovely comment! Haha, you like my jaws? I guess my refs have lovely jaws then And inking is just about patience, I'm sure you can find it in you
    Maestro Andres - Thank you so much, both for the encouragement and advice, very appreciated. Will have to try drawing with a pen, been a while! I'll also chech her hand out, thanks for the tip.
    As for inking (which yes, is digital), I first set by brush to these settings: http://suta-raito.com/PSroughlines.shtml Then it's really just a lot of patience! I used a 3 pxl hard round (with the A4 sketch scanned at 400dp). I often make fast swooshy lines first, esp.if they're long, and then go over them again, just bit by bit, often edit and fix them along the way. I found this tutorial (http://andoledius.deviantart.com/art...orial-31211343) long ago, been using it since. Check it out, he explains it better!
    catukas - Thanks a lot If you have problem inking, the tutorial I linked above might be helpful to you!
    Eux - Thanks for the nice comment, glad to hear As for her arm, I think I see what you mean. If you (or anyone!) could tell me more precicely how to fix it, I'd be grateful. But I'll take a look at it, see what I can do!

Anyway, I haven't worked on my big inked pic since my last WIP, been a bit busy. But I still managed to whip some Loomis studies up, thought I'd upload them It's the first time I've done these mannequins, so they're quite weird at the moment, but will hopefully be smoother with practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing work: clean and fluent!

MY NEW SKETCHBOOK

OLD SKETCHBOOK

CUANDO EL HERMETISMO DEL SILENCIO SE ESCUCHA , CONFUSIÓN Y ORDEN PACTAN.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your loomis studies looks very cool! I love these 'balance-skeletons', they are really cool.

Your stuff, as always, looks very good, can't wait to see the girl colored!

PS: You forgot to update the title of the thread with the update day!

sjuskadur is offline Can't talk... eating brains! Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hć.. vá ţér hefur fariđ mega mikiđ fram fullt af geggjuđu dóti hérna.. en já ég er ekki í fornáminu ennţá... stefni í ţađ eftir sumariđ en eins og er, er ég bara í áföngum ţar í kvöldskóla sem ég fć metiđ upp í stúdentspróf

anyways.. eitt sem ég var ađ pćla međ konuna sem u ert ađ teikna... ţađ er eins og ţađ vanti eitthvađ á vistri vanganum á henni.. eyrnasnepil ţetta er eitthvađ smá off! annars er ţetta heavy nice mynd

keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright, then your jaws have lovely refs... err ... refs have.... whatever
    loving those skeleton poses, seem to help a great deal, i think i should do some of those as well!

and thanks for the very nice words in my little book
    um, you asked about my brushes, and i would love to tell you about them. but i use sai, which works completely different from photoshop. it has really smooth brushes and is easy to use. lookie here: link and here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea you got your improving as well,nice to see you doing these studies and I can see you start to loose your line,keep going and have a lot of fun.About your color stuff - this ---> http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1197992912

look really good,about some of the rest - maybe you should to use airbrush or soft brush more rarely,try to put simple colors with hard brush 100/100% and then you start to messing on them with different opacity levels to get nice shot on I think this may help you to understand what I mean

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/tutorial...ay/brush01.asp

Your last digital ink is very very well done!
    cu around!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MARMENTIDO - Thank you so much!
    Carbono - Thanks a lot! Also for reminding me of the topic update, fixed!
    sjuskadur - Já ok, ertu ađ fara í inntökuprófin bráđlega, í apríl/maí, ekki satt? Gangi ţér vel! Og takk fyrir ábendinguna og hrósiđ, ég er búin ađ laga stelpuna ađeins núna
    algenpfleger - Hehe, lovely jaw refs indeed! Used myself for the latest one, actually But yeah, I've learned lot from the skeletons, I recommend it! And thanks again for answering my question, I'll have to check Sai out!
    atlantik - Hey, thanks so much for the advice and tips. That link was excellent I agree, I have to boycott the airbrush and use the hard stuff now!

Alrighty, I've finally done some more work on the girl. I took all of your advice to heart and fixed what I could What do you think, improvements or not? It'd be great to get feedback But I'll probably start on the guy now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if i know any useful tutorials she asks. WELL LET'S SEE

the reason why i started painting in july 07 was linda bergkvist. her work is just INSANE - and look at her tutorials. i learned SO MUCH from them, it's unbelievable, and i find myself going back to them really often. look.
    click me if you dare :3

apart from that, there#s some other good places with lots of stuff, most of it unsorted though
    like this awesome allround tutorial or all the imaginefx workshops. there's also tons of knowledge stored in some collection places, like here and here.

but i recommend linda's stuff the most, it's what really got me started

34. The Following User Says Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for the links! I'd forgotten all about Linda's tutorials, saw them some time ago. She's so talented, so they're very useful! And the others are bookmarked! I'll take a good look on those all, I'm sure they're very helpful. Thanks so much

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 19