Sketchbook: Ása's drawing journal [March 17th-Update at last!] - Page 11

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There you go Don't worry about the gap, I had time-outs too, one lasted over 6 months. Only I dont know whether this is a relapse or a remission haha!

Anyways, nive to eee you back, that Mermaid-scetch look great! Only in the cooring-proces you lost the dynimics of the lines, which where the strong part in your pencil-version.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the sketches, simple and clean. Nice sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 556 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! you're back! hehe - lovely stuff as always

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Asa! Finally! 8D

Nice sketchies. :3 The mermaid colour experiment looks quite cool, too! I demand moar! D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update! Glad to see you back with some great fresh lines. The faces are looking well but here and there, maybe you can focus a bit more on the center line of the face to get your proportions even more accurate.
    The mermaid painting is looking great. Nice to see you experimenting like these. Sometimes it's useful to see other artist artwork that have a similar style to learn a thing or two. Hope to see some more!

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Maestro Andres For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello hello...no critiques from me just encouragement - I was poking around in my sketchbook and found your comment, realizing that you've been away! You've still got it with those faces you drew, some have nice features, and the experimentation turned out well...its refreshing when you try new things with art, isnt it? See you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. I sketch in class too. It's mostly back of the head but at least you can learn to draw head from different angles .

The mermaid is really nice stylisation. Colors look good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great SB! Dig the mermaid!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry about the gaps, I do it myself, once I disappeared for a year

Great update, like the mermaid.

The pencil sketches look great too, nice lines going there.

Keep going ^^

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely work! Your pencil sketches are so inspiring, I dragged up my sketchbook right after I saw them!I completely fell for your friend with the glasses. |D''
    The mermaid is also lovely! Keep it up, keep feeding us!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Má ég giska, ţú ert í listaháskólanum? Ef ţú ert ţar, hvernig er ađ vera ţar? ef ţú ert ekki ţar, hvar ertu? Ég er ađ hugsa um listaháskólann en ég veit ekki... Nýtt update! fljót!

WEEEEEE

Sketchbook

Quote Originally Posted by KILLA-CAT
    It's not supposed to look like a cat because it's actually it's a giraffe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hćhć ! kúl dót hjá ţér eins og venjulega ;D

Im liking the piece you posted on 19 of august (been a while since i last dropped by) Love the clothes on the persons... wish i could do it ! =D

keep it up dont stop posting!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hahaha, anyone remember the last line I wrote in this SB? Let's recap:
    "Well, sorry, that's just about it! I think I can fairly firmly promise that such a gap won't happen again. See you around folks!"
    Famous last words? Heh.

Ok anyway, I haven't been around for like 3 months but I've found my groove again and eagerly want to join the drawing game again! Been going through busy university and general life issues which kept me from drawing regularly. But I won't bore with details! I have a few pieces to show, although the amount is pathetic, considering the gap between updates. I really want to keep it updated much more frequently, but uni doesn't always agree. Well, let's start with answering all you good folks:

Clochette - Thanks a lot! No, this is actually just the pen tool in PS, not vector. Looks similar, though! I made some pieces in this styles years ago, quite fun, should experiment more.
    algenpfleger - Hee, thanks buddy! Us artists always sketch in class, don't we?
    FightingSeraph - Thanks! Yep, it was a while inbetween earier and yet again now! Hopefully I won't make a habit out of this...
    Renegade89 - Yes, I live! And thanks for the pointers. Yah, that dude's full length sketches were all wrong, I was just for some reason trying to let it fit. Shouldn't have!
    Renegade89 - Thanks, I agree about the pencil lines, they were much more dynamic in the sketch. One of my biggest obstacles, transferring the line quality into a coloured PS version. Practice it is!
    Yazzman - Thank you!
    The7Artist7 - Heehee, thanks so much
    Pretty_Ange - Sabrina, dearest! Glad to see you here, hopefully you'll start popping up more frequently after you return home! Thanks for the comment
    Maestro Andres - Hey, thanks for the good advise! I definitely need some more proportions practice.
    Jakers - Thanks for stopping by! Yeah, always fun to try new stuff, definitely recommend it, hehe.
    Farvus - Thanks! Yeah, it's probably the only time I draw the back of the head, in class that is. Good practice
    D@niel - Thanks man, glad you dig!
    Sorknes - Thanks! Glad to see other members also disappear, us artists need to fuel the batteries I guess
    Monkeydominator - Thanks so much for the lovely comment! It really makes my day to hear my little sketches inspire others.
    Bullsey - Takk! Ég sendi ţér skilabođ fyrir löngu sem svarađi spurningunni, en jamm, ég er í LHÍ
    sjuskadur - Takk! Thanks, and of course you can draw nice clothing, it's just a question about enough practice, keep it up!

Let's start with the sketch heap. A reminder: most of these were done in a dark presentation room at school in an awkward sitting position, so these aren't all...up to par. But it's something, I guess:

Name:  moleskine-1-1.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  154.9 KB
    Name:  moleskine-2-2.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  336.6 KB
    Name:  moleskine-6-3.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  339.4 KB
    Name:  moleskine-7-3.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  256.3 KB
    Name:  moleskine-11-3.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  358.7 KB

I got a request from a friend to draw Katara from Avatar as a samurai, so here's the sketch:
    Name:  katara-samurai-skissa.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  399.0 KB

And the coloured version. I was getting so sick of that static digital look in most of my coloured pieces, so I was trying to jazz it up with some textures and whatnot. Not sure if I succeeded, but some experimenting doesn't hurt.
    Name:  katara-samurai.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  437.9 KB

And lastly, a SP I did just earlier today. Fiiinally a SP that actually looks like me! I spent that extra time to get all the nuances and subtleties in my facial features, constantly erasing. I guess that paid off. I feel like something finally clicked in my head, I need to do more critical observations like these. But yah, didn't maybe spend quite as much time on the shading, slapped that fairly quickly on, just to make it pop a little in 3D!
    Name:  SP.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  169.2 KB

I really hope this poor SB won't suffer from months between updates again. I won't promise anything, busy at school and such, but here's hoping!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Asa! Good to know the studio life hasn't buried you!

I like this update very much. As for the texture work on the Katara Samurai, I think it works well in the background and around the image, but it's fogging out the character a bit being so directly over it... It's giving a feeling of the background being the foreground, you know?

Always good to experiment, though! I like it.

Be well :]

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    AsaB, so glad your back!!! Yes I like the new color's your doing on the samari hottie!!! So cool to see you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome back dude!!!!

you know, i really love the way you organize your sketchbook pages. it takes a skill i don't have yet. but i'm catching on! anyway, you're not happy with your color...i think you might try traditional things, and see how you can apply that to digital? get some books on color theory, or the jason manley color theory dvd (when it comes out), or the g'mon one about color theory. or ask someone who knows how to use color much better than i do (which is quite a lot of people, so you got a lot to choose from!). hope this helps. take care dude, and come back often. we're waiting.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Asa! Totally forgot to hunt down your sketchbook.

And what nice scribbles you have! I hope you won't loose your new groove.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Asa! Awesome to see your back!
    Wonderful sketches as always, and great progress on the digis!
    Your drawing style is really cool, and the self portrait is great too, (you look very pretty)

And cheers for stopping by my SB again too,

matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! And great to have you back! You have great potential! hehe, I'd like to see you make animations, you have a very good simplyfied style and it would be good pose-practice, too! Anyways, I'm not really hyped about the samurai-drawing. It doesn't really look eastern at all. Firstly, there's really no clue about her being a samurai other than the sword (And samurais had 2 swords afaik) and the writing, which is really in a nother style than the drawing. The lines you drew over your scetch don't resemble the ink-quality in any way.There's no movement, no randomness and no weight-shifting in there as is in the kalligraphy. Also, the coloring in itself looks very artificial. And although it is Katara, she doesn't look asian, even with those eyes altered. It's sad, because it is apparently put much work and thought into it, the hair is espescially nicely designed. Your texutre-work kind of killed it.

The self-portrait is REALLY nice, though. You're a beauty!

Please don't wait as long for the next update, k?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice self portrait there. It helps a lot to slow down and think carefully, huh? It's easy to assume that drawing is right brain, so we should stop thinking and just let our creativity take over, but there really is a lot of critical analysis attached to good work. Hope to see more soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Asa !!! Great to see new drawings heh !
    My crit is about proportions, watch out the big heads! Appart this, the Avatar piece is nice, i like the hand, hard angle you chosed, it's cool! I like the sketch a bit more than the colored one tho, maybe because of the blur you did everywhere.

I hope things are better, too, keep on drawiiing !!!!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. You're back! Nice sketches. Self portrait is definately my favourite in this update .

As for the Katara sketch. Faust mentioned that she doesn't look asian but honestly to me the original character doesn't look asian anyway. She has that samurai pose when they lean forward ready to draw the sword so it's a big plus. The inking is also good. The pencil sketch however looks a better propably beacause of stronger and more clear face expression. The line thickness adds contrast the eyes and they draw a lot of attention while in the inked sketch it's all lost. The ink lines could be improved quickly in Photoshop/Painter so it's not a big problem.

Cheers.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just read this from start to finish, really great progress log you have here! Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice face sketches. I agree with the others that the samurai doesn't look too asian.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Only roughly a week since last update! Score

IanE - Hey buddy! Hehe, yeah, I somehow manage Thanks for the tip regarding the texture, you have a good point, makes sense. I'll watch out for it next time!
    kelly x - Thanks girl!
    purb36 - Thanks so much for all your excellent colour advise! I didn't know Mr.Manley was about to release a DVD about colour theory, sounds like I need to put some dough aside for it Oh, and I organize my sb pages? Well, I admit I haven't put much thought into it, but thanks for noticing then!
    Pretty_Angel - Aw, thanks doll! :hug:
    JailHouseRock2 - Thank you, good to be back! And aw, I'm flattered I need to do more SPs!
    ~Faust~ - Thank you sooo much for the great crit, I absolutely needed that! I'm definitely gonna give this more thought the next time I try something radically new. I admit that I didn't plan that picture well enough (I inked it before deciding to go all 'trad japanese'), so that obviously shows. A lot. And thanks about the SP, you're too kind
    staticpen - Thanks a lot! And yep, you're so right, I often feel like I smell something burning when I'm concentrating a lot, hehe, my poor brain is often on fire!
    Clochette - Heya! And thanks for the crit! Yeah, I'm starting to like the sketch better myself after receiving all the pointers here! But that's a good thing, I like being critted, also brutally!
    Farvus - Hey Great tips, you make great sense. The whole deal about her being asian was really an afterthought, the character is originally more inuit, so it was my own twist later when colouring. But cool, thanks for the advise!
    MacTire - Thanks, I'm flattered you felt compelled to read my little thread through! Glad to hear you liked it
    Pigeonkill - Thanks for your input! Yep, looks like I'll definitely need to study more Asian people

Aaaand on to the stuff. Mostly just some studies and sketches this time.

First some leg studies, among other little stuff. The leg studies were drawn from issue #39 of ImagineFX, good stuff!
    Name:  skiss1-20-03.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  156.7 KBName:  skiss2-20-03.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  202.8 KB
    Name:  skiss3-20-03.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  206.1 KBName:  skiss4-20-03.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  158.8 KB

Photoshop sketches. After drawing the two fancy ladies, I decided afterwards to put them in outfits I own myself, heh.
    Name:  fancy.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  121.0 KBName:  bla-gella.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  57.2 KB

From The Official - Draw From "What Does Everyone Look Like?" Thread, I recommend it, good fun! These are Sadetar, Jason R and KidApe. I fail at the likeness, though. Practice, practice...
    Name:  Sadetar.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  125.9 KBName:  JasonR.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  224.2 KBName:  KidApe.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  161.5 KB

And lastly, a half-arsed enviro. It's from a photo I took last summer when travelling around the country. I had fun doing the mountains, but the foreground proved too complicated for me :/ I guess I should stick to wee simpler things at first, but I def.wanna try doing this again. Really opened my eyes regarding colour.
    Name:  enviro-gjogur.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  105.9 KB

See you all soon!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

31. The Following User Says Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya AsaB,
    It's great to see your continual studying of anatomy and structure and I can
    see it is paying off nicely=D The pastel look of your portraiture is very pleasing, and you're getting good at achieving a likeness. Your latest landscape looks pretty successful to me, in that you are thinking about laying down the big shapes of value and color. Keep it up.

Sketchbook!! Please help me improve!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=107078

33. The Following User Says Thank You to KidApe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good that you're back in productivity, Asa.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your style. Your avatar is so cute. And thanks for the link.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice to see you back, and second that mermaid sketches, other stuff look lively as well

i don't usually do this here but: *hug*

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studies are coming along! The 3 portraits look great in construction regardless of if they match the actual person or not. The anatomy is there, except for KidApe's left shoulder (so the one on the right of the portrait) is coming out of his neck. :/ Hehe.

Carry on :]

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

38. The Following User Says Thank You to IanE For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5