Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,109 Posts
    LOoooooooooove the update Asa!!! Fantastic sketches as always, your characters are getting heaps better too!

Speaking of characters, the CHOW is wonderful, I really hope you get to do more of these, there really getting better Asa!

So nice to see your beautiful face in the SP too, but I do think the ear in a little to low.

Thanks yet again for the support in my sb too, always appreciated, and I hope you do update this thread more!
    Thanks,
    matt
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...5&d=1252086922

My only comment is I think it would look more natural if she had the book slight open reading. Right now the book in her hand isn't open and she's just viewing the back side?
    Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Luk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wee, another update. Your selfportrait looks good, bummer you missed out on SP day.

And if you found it was too low res, go get a high res photo and do another one!
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Your stuff is ever so lovely! I must say, you mastered the line pretty well by now, please teach me how to draw like that!

When it comes to use tone to describe form, however, you are some steps behind your lines. You selfportrait is evidence of this. The valuerange is way extreme and even though you didnt use absolute whites the whitest of your whites are still sprayed all over the place. Same goes for darks. Put your whitest whites as well as your darkest darks only where you want your focus. They are the crowning jewels of your painting! If you don't mind, I made a crude overpainting to show what I mean: http://img5.imagebanana.com/view/qt3...3overpaint.jpg (Sry for botching your face!)

But it's really good otherwise, you stepped up from your earlier paintings!

Please remember to update sometimes, okay?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey, girl! Update!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smugbug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow AsaB! How did I miss that last update? Sorry for the late comment. For starters, great job on the self portrait...it's really hard to make images referenced from photos appear three dimensional, but I think you've really succeeded there. I really love your Seasons Chow idea, especially winter...if you don't feel like revisiting the whole piece, it would be cool to see her developed further. Your lines in the Black River Crew are extraordinary! (Out of curiosity, do you do them with the pen tool?) I think the colors might be holding it back a little bit...the foreground kind of reads like the sun is still out, and I think the wall competes for our attention since it is so bright. She's a strong character though...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to courtyard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Hi everyone!
    I hope you all had wonderful holidays and that you'll have a great New Year

Before I get to the replies and sketches, I have some news to share. Figured it'd be appropriate to post it here, since I've made some good friends here!

Not sure just how many know this, but I started studying Architecture in 2007 at the Iceland Academy of the Arts. I'm not going into major details, but after some time, I began to be very unhappy there. I just found out it wasn't my niche, after all. I figured it'd be a nice compromise--a practical career but also with drawing! Well sure, there's some drawing, but not of the kind I love doing. I also applied for Graphic Design at the time and got accepted into that as well, and I really regretted not choosing that instead. But such is life.

Anyway, let's skip over to present time! I went to Russia back in September with my school, now in my 3rd and final year before getting my bachelor's. The 2nd year had been horrid, I was doing badly, skipping classes and I was so unhappy. I just hit a wall recently, I guess, and I simply stopped attending and doing my homework. Long story short: I was failed on the semester and wasn't allowed to continue to the next and final semester, which basically would've been doing my final project. I was given the opportunity to finish in 4 years, that is, coming back in the autumn of '10 and redo the whole year. But instead, I quit. This is just...it. I can't do it anymore. And what a relief! Feel like a huge load has been lifted off my chest.

So here I am, a university drop-out. Fantastic. Even though I'm glad to be finally out of this all, I still very much regret having spent all this time on something that was in vain. No degree, no nothing. I'm dealing with it, trying to look at it like this: if I had never tried it, I'd endlessly be wondering whether I should've gone into architecture! So now I definitely know what it's like.

Anyway, so this is how things stand: my boyfriend finished his Master's degree in Law this Christmas (a semester earlier) and had already made plans on moving to Freiburg, Germany and continuing his studies, starting with a 3 month German course, brushing up on his skills. So what am I doing! Going with him, of course I've also enrolled to the language school, so I'll definitely be spending the next 3 months studying German. And since I have no prior knowledge of the language, I'll be needing a few more months to be more fluent, but I've already started learning the basics at home and it comes pretty easily to me. I might come home during summer (neeeed cash!), but I'd then return next autumn.

So, exciting times! Can't wait to get out there, get a change of scenario and clear my head. I'll obviously keep my trusty Wacom and sketchbook with me, so I expect my art productivity to be the same, hopefully more.

Then there's just this thing...after I've gotten confident enough in German, I intend to start studying there. And actually get a bachelor's degree this time! I just don't know what to study. I was fairly confident for a long while I wanted to study Illustration, but I'm not sure anymore :/ I do love drawing, absolutely, but I'm just unsure whether I want to make it a career. There are others things I'm also good at and would love to do professionally. Those would be things like linguistics, history, archaeology and such. There are excellent courses in these in Freiburg, which are also very tempting. There are also some interesting art schools as well in Germany that I'm thinking about. I'm so confused!

Don't you wish you could just have someone hand you a piece of scroll that give you those answers? Seriously, this has been on my mind for years--art/illustration or linguistcs/history/etc. I really am unsure whether I'm simply good enough for art, whether I've got this x-factor to really make it. I know for a fact that I'm a good student, so I'm sure I could do well if I'd choose the other path, art is just always pulling at me! Even though I wouldn't choose it as a career, I'd definitely need to continue to practice and improve. I simply must!

Urm, yeah, sorry about the essay. I just wanted to share what's going on with all the good friends I've made here. And honestly, a little input would be welcomed as well! Getting an outsider's perspective on my little dilemma couldn't hurt.

---------------

Anyway, on to replies!
    purb36 - Hehe, thanks man! Yeah, I knooow, need to update more often :/ It's a curse!
    BlackDelphin - Thanks so much for the advise and comments! Yep, that darn bridge in my Chow piece is awful Haha, I should've just omitted that silly background! And yes, you're also right about the ear in my latest SP. Will keep an eye for it next time!
    IronFistGoon - Thank you for your lovely comments! Very glad you enjoyed my little step-by-step of the Chow piece I might continue the Spring gal someday, glad you think she's cute!
    Rustveld - Why thank you! Variety in characters, me? Aw, that's new! I'm so happy to hear that!
    Maestro Andres - Hi and thanks! Oof yeah, that darn background in the Chow was a disaster, I'll definitely look out for making that mistake again! Thanks for all your lovely comments, you're always so helpful
    My57 - Thank you! Glad you liked the SP!
    Kristo Novo - Thanks so much man
    kelly x - Hiii kelly! And thank you! Aw, no prob about the Chow, it was done in a hurry anyway! Glad you liked my SP, I do indeed intend to do more of these
    struve - Thanks so much! Really, that made me grin. I'm happy others can find my work cheerful, that's just great news!
    JailHouseRock2 - Hi Matt! Thanks, you're too kind Yeah, the ear was definitely off my SP, will remember the next time. And yes, I'd love to participate more often in Chow, I hope I will in the new year
    Pigeonkill - Ooh, thanks for the good crit. I had actually very much intended the book to be open like you pointed out, but you're right, it looks closed like I drew it. Darn!
    Sorknes - Thanks Sork! Hehe, yeah, I should do another SP soon. And this time it will be in HD--or maybe just get a mirror, for the highest resolution, heh!
    ~Faust~ - Hi Faust Hahaha, you did make me laugh, though. Me, mastering lines? Are you sure you're looking at the right SB? I absolutely appreciate the compliment, of course, I just hope there's some truth to it, I can be very blind on my own work! And wow, thanks so much for the insightful and helpful reply regarding my SP. I realize that my shapes/values are miles behind my..well, everything. So your advise was duly noted! The overpainting helped a lot, thanks so much And I shall indeed try to update more often!
    PatriciaS - Hey Pat! Thanks, haha, here's an update
    courtyard - Hiii, so glad to see you here! Thank you for your comments! Yes, I'd love to finish the Seasons idea. Funny, Winter was also my favourite, glad you liked that one! Ooh, and my Photoshop lines are simply done by hand with my Wacom, using a regular hard-round brush Takes a little while to do, but I prefer it over the pen-tool, it never comes out exactly like I want it. And yes, there are many things wrong with the Chow piece, thanks so much for the input! Love getting all the crit I can get

----------------------------

And now, on to art! Isn't a lot here, but I show what I have.

Couple of random sketches from head:
    Attachment 866660Attachment 866663Attachment 866666

A sketch of my classmate...erm, a former one. Didn't turn out too good.
    Attachment 866668

My friend got me hooked on an anime, "Ouran's High School Host Club", and I made a quick sketch of the main character, the lovely Haruhi! Might finish this later.
    Attachment 866671

There's a meme on DA about drawing past selves. I intend to draw 4 'egos' of different ages, here are the first two at ages 5 and 13. 17 and 23 are still to come! I used a fairly loose and quick style on these, fun!
    Attachment 866662

I took part in the CA Secret Santa gifts exchange, so much fun! I got Slash I knew he likes his ladies sassy and saucy, which I love drawing! First sketch is just a concept, the second is the final sketch which I then traced over with my lightboard--the third image being the final drawing which I sent to Slash
    Attachment 866673Attachment 866661
    Attachment 866676
    sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's what someone from Louisiana thinks: You did what you had to do, and at least you had the courage to do such a thing. If I had went to college and didn't like it very much; I would have quit myself. Even though you're still in University, just be glad that you are out of that rusted cage. Plus, the fact that you are going with your boyfriend to Germany shows how much you care. Of course, you're stuck between drawing, linguistics, and archaeology; that part is up to you and you alone. Then again, I'm just some guy from Slidell, Louisiana.

The latest art dump is excellent, however.
    The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.
    Nintendo Network ID: FightingSeraph

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FightingSeraph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 754 Posts
    That's good news Asa. New path might be connected with some insecurities but it will for sure bring a lot of freshness into your life. I wish you all the best.
    I was very close to quitting with architecture too but realized I went too far and it wouldn't be worth it to do that close to end. I might end up doing something else after I finish though.

New artworks are great. I especially like the first one with female warrior. Do more of life drawings like this portrait. It will help you a lot even if you prefer more cartoony style.

Cheers.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've been having similar doubts about my talent and what field I will go into, so you're not alone. I'm stuck between art, Japanese, and geology! Just keep doing what you feel is right, I'll be cheering for you all the way.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to GoGoJojo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Asa!
    Don't feel badly for dropping out. Making a decision like that takes a lot of courage, and you're absolutely right - sometimes knowing what you don't want to do is just as helpful as knowing what you do want to do! If you're torn between a few different paths, the solution is easy: just do what makes you happy. Not what you think will make you happy, or what will make you happy in 5 years. Do what makes you happy at the very moment.
    It's so easy to get caught up in what we 'should' do. But if you simply do what makes you enjoy, everything else will follow!

Best of luck, take care!

(Love the line quality of your sketches, by the way. They're so confident and loose!)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Oh wow Asa, exciting times ahead!!!

I'm afraid I can't really offer any advice on which course's to study, as I'm only just starting Uni next month. I chose animation, mainly because there aren't that many good Illustration course's near by, and I thought at least animation would lend it's self to Illustration anyway, and the 3D would help with concept art.

Your so lucky to have such a wonderful range of interests and talents! So I'd just say go with what your heart tells you, and something that you'll enjoy rather than just a means to an end (if you know what I mean)
    And the great thing about art is, that even if you don't chose to study it at a school, you can always learn and enjoy it by your self

Anyway, the art work Love the portrait of your (former) classmate, and the pin-up for Slash is awesome!

Thanks for the kind words in my thread too

All the best Asa,
    matt
    Last edited by JailHouseRock2; January 6th, 2010 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey, sehr gut, dass Du nach Deutschland kommst! Linguistik ist auch ein extrem spannendes Fach und solange Du am zeichnen bleibst und ich was zum gucken habe bin ich zufrieden Vielleicht kann ich ja mal zu besuch kommen! hehe, das Bier in Freiburg ist auch nicht zu verachten...

Very nice update! I love the alchemy-scetches. Really cool to see what you can do with that program!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Hey guys!

OMG, it's been too long! Of course, I was moving to a new country and all, that has been time consuming. And studying German, of course! I love it here! Und ich kann jetzt ein bisschen Deutsch sprechen! Es gefällt mir gut (Or something?)

Anyway. Just a quick update on things: I've finally decided to pursue Illustration professionally Or Animation, Concept Art, that whole field. I've been thinking about this for literally years. But I absolutely feel like this is right. So now that I've made that decision, I'm going to need to start practicing like a mad person. So if I'm not updating this thing at least weekly, feel free to kick my behindus

I'm afraid I don't have a lot to show now, though. I was offered to move up a class in the German school, which I accepted, so I had to spend lots of my free time reading up on things I needed. But now that it's pretty much over, I intend to focus on drawing! Also, main reason why I haven't been here lately is because we just recently got a proper ADSL connection, I couldn't browse CA for weeks before that with the crappy connection.

Replies

FightingSeraph - Thanks so much for your input! Yeah, I'm definitely content with my decision about leaving uni, it just wasn't meant to be. I'm glad others thinks so as well, makes me feel a little better, because it wasn't a little drastic change after all. Thanks for liking my art dump too!

Farvus - Thanks for the comment! Yeah, I know you've had your struggles with Architecture as well, but great job on sticking with it and congrats again on graduating! Now all paths are open to you, which must be awesome--and with that degree paper in your pocket. I realize that quitting so close to graduation doesn't sound too wise, but that's how it went and I hope I'll find my path from now on. And thanks for the art tip, I definitely need to do more life studies.

GoGoJojo - Thanks! Glad to know I'm not alone in my struggle! Well, I've made my final decision at least now, but it sure took its sweet time. Sounds like your interest vary greatly too! Any closer to that final decision? Good luck, anyhow

Ryn - Hey Ryn, thanks for the insightful advise. It's actually pretty much what you said that helped me make this final decision--what makes me happy now. And that is drawing. So if I'm happy with it now, I'm sure I'll be even happier later on! Cheers on the comments about my drawings too

JailHouseRock2 - Oh Matt, you're always the sweetest thing. Thanks so much for your encouraging words and advise! Yes, having a range of hobbies or interest is indeed a good thing, but it was also the main reason why I had the dilemma, hehe But no matter, now that I've decided to pursue Illustration I can still read up on ancient history on the side! God knows I've got full bookshelves of that, and it's excellent inspiration material as well. And awesome, you've started University! Animation sounds so exciting. I'll be heading over to your SB in a bit so see what you've been up to.

~Faust~ - Faust! Thanks for your comment! When I initially read it I had a hard time understanding it all, but now after several weeks here in Germany, I understand it quite well So no worries, I'll definitely be keeping at drawing after all! And yes, if you're ever close to Freiburg, a visit is a must Btw, Slash is trying to organize a Euro Sketchmeet this Easter, are you attending? And thanks, Alchemy is a fun program, you should try it!

So, on to the little things I've been producing on the side. Shamefully little, considering it's been 2 months, but I'll show what I got. Also, since I don't have a scanner here, it'll probably be mostly digital things here from now on. Unless I have some kickass sketch, I'll try to photograph it then :p

First some randomness:
    Attachment 919710 Attachment 919707 Attachment 919709

A photo study of Ana Brett, a person I admire greatly. She's a yoga instructor and dancer! I included both the sketch and the quick colour sketch, I kinda like the former better, although I captured her face somewhat better in the latter.
    Attachment 919738 Attachment 919699

Some quick stuff. I wanted to draw a super stylized model girl!
    Attachment 919730

I was trying to do a finished coloured piece without inking, but lost interest and just generally got lost. Ugh
    Attachment 919727

Now, I'm doing a little series based on the four seasons. I've sketched them all out but I finished colouring Autumn today These are probably not final versions though, I especially think I'll redo Winter.

Giddy, happy Summer!
    Attachment 919718

Carefree, little Spring:
    Attachment 919714

Cool and composed Winter:
    Attachment 919721

Sweet and modest Autumn. I fancied the sketch a bit up after I finished the colouring:
    Attachment 919723

And the final Autumn piece:
    Attachment 919733

That's it! Happy Tuesday, y'all
    sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Hey there! Had the same internetconnection problems a few weeks ago... Not being able to browse the internet is quite irritating
    Where did you move exactly?

The new sketches look great! I especially like the yoga sketch, although I prefer the b/w one, perhaps because the face looks a little friendlier. but I really dig that front leg in the coloured version, great work on forshortening and I like the hint of the muscles.

Keep up posting
    “Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast