Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast
    Thanks
    Progress is evident as the months go by!!

I look forward to the day we can show each other our buildings and muse about sketches!

Please keep sharing with us, miss. Be well!
    Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to IanE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    sweet updates! i will totally come again... hoping in some new updates
    My first sketchbook... wanna improve!
    I also wanna rock! ROCK! tuptuptudum...tudumtuptudum...tudumtuptudum... I - want - to - rock!

Thanks
    Hey AsaB, wonderful drawings and paintings. The last portraits are simply simply DELICIOUS. Especially, I like your boyfriend's portrait, he looks nice nice dashing~~

Anyway, here are some critiques of you character if you don't mind....

(All this stuff I learned from my awesome instructor, Mark McDonald, so I'm not sure if I really understand it)
    So, the concept of this character is very very cool. But the composition and the design could be improved to make this char look even cooler.

First of all, I don't feel particularly drawn in to this picture at a glance. Perhaps The action line and the focal point could be better defined, I think..........
    So I draw out the action line in a red line. I think this is basically how the energy sweeps down, perhaps you can change the fans so that they suit the action better(It's just my way of interpreting the action line though, I'm really not sure about the right hand).
    Also, when the fans point directly to the head, the focal point could be better defined.

And then, you can perhaps add details like buckles or simply lines along the line of action. I've drawn some something in blue for that. Also, It defines the form better, and gives a stronger sense of twisting.

Anyway, perhaps the sash could be more curved since it is in the middle. But I'm not sure.

Finally, I think you can reveal the foot to give a better sense of weight distribution.

Anyway, I hope I didn't bore or bug you. But anyway, it is a pretty cool char already.

The joy that's in your artworks really inspires me!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aaron Death For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yow! Awesome portraits you got there, Asa! I especially love the one just above your boyfriend's; the eyes are very striking and even though it doesn't have a finished look, it has a lot of personality, somehow. They all are impressive.

The cartoon character is also lovely (nice earthy colours!). I like the simple composition with the bamboo and shadow. I feel perhaps it would showcase the elements even better if you framed the image with more negative space around it instead of cropping close to the edges (and the shadow could fade to white as opposed to being cut out).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sekino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Hay Asa, I don't know how I missed your awesome update!!
    Love your suki, great job on the colours!

And then you hit us with all these great portraits!!! Dig them all, this one here - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...6&d=1247676663- Has such cool lighting, and the values look spot on!

Your Bf portrait as well looks strong, and a big improvement on your first attempt!

And your wonderful SP looks beautiful of course I think you got a fair bit of likeness, and maybe some colour next?

Great stuff, and thanks for the healing thoughts, appreciate it Asa!

Keep well and remeber the sunscreen!
    Cheers,
    matt
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great portraits, and i agree with you Avatar rocks!!!

Keep those coming!

Motivation waves in your direction!

(im the motivator of our SSG xD)

Thanks
    oooh I love it when ou update! great suki-illustration and your self-portraits really are very nice. On the other portraits you are a bit vague, though. As like you don't dare to carve out the form

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Asa B!! Did you do the Sumi-E??? In your Japanese painting????? My only crit is that the Sumi-e looks faded compared to the dancer... you can find a mid ground to blend the back ground and the girl, also her left cheek is a bit too showing for this face position. I studied Sumi-e with a Monk for six years and if you want some pointers I can help you?????? I love the piece so far.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly x View Post
    I studied Sumi-e with a Monk for six years and if you want some pointers I can help you?.....

Holy shit, really kelly? Wow that sounds cool, tell us more next time!

Hello&GoodByeAsaB!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Thanks for swingin by my sketchbook AsaB! I'd love to see your tilt shift attempts. At first I struggled with it too, and I dont think mine are quite as amazing as some I've seen, but they're getting there. There is a great thread in Flickr for faux tilt shift stuff. http://www.flickr.com/groups/tilt-shift-fakes/

The Suki with the sumi-e is bad ass too. Dont know how I missed that last time I was in your neck of the woods. No need to apologize for cartoony stuff, it's nice to see variety. I really like some of your other slightly cartoony style. Like the girl with the freckles. It has a slight Norman Rockwell quality to it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hookswords For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    I had promised myself not to wait until August for my next update!

Two things before I head to replies!

1) I finished my TD entry...even though the votes are anonymous, I think that if you know my style, it's fairly obvious which is mine. I'm honestly not too happy with the colouring, however, although I quite like the initial idea/concept. But whatever, I'll post it later when we're allowed to and I'll post some sketches along with it!

2) I joined Team Chow! The second round is beginning next Saturday. I'm in the awesome Team Coco Meowza along with Sekino, XanaChama, Pretty_Angel and 3mMajster. I'll probaby be spending a lot of time on that project the next month. I'm not gonna repost all my sketches there in my own SB, so again, be sure to follow us there :3 I will post the final results here however! So you can expect more relaxed doodles here for the next few weeks, I reckon.

Anyway, replies
    Lyno - Thanks! Yes, I agree, more intensive studies are definitely something I should focus on. After the Team Chow
    Fumble - Thank you! Ooh, you really saw some likeness? I hope you're right! And yeah, SPs are great for head studies. Grr, I need to do those planes of the head studies sometime!
    AvisNocturna - Why thank you! I'm glad the portraits were to your liking! These are hard, need to do moooore.
    Grandmassa Mr. Spect - YEEAAAAH! Thank you!
    AmbientSounds - Thanks so much! My SP was from a photo which had this specific lighting, it was tons of fun to make! And yeah, oddly enough I could "let myself" erase the lines along the white parts...it just kinda happened, haha.
    Nicky S - Thank you! Yes, you're very right, I just need more practice!
    Maestro Andres - Hi Andres (haha, also my bf's name!), thanks for stopping by! Hm, I've sometimes used the guides in Photoshop to help with proportions, but I've never really tried the full fledged grid method. I will do!
    Hookswords - Thank you! Eek, Normal Rockwell quality? That's positive to hear! Oh and thanks, I just love drawing cartoony stuff so I'm glad at least someone here is enjoying that. Hey, and thanks for that flickr link! I love seeing those crazy feux dioramas. I'll link you one of my silly attempts over at your SB
    sketcheth - You are way too nice, thanks for all the compliments! Hm, more confidence? I hope you're right, I'd sure love that to be true I'll definitely keep on going, no worries there, and thanks again!
    courtyard - Thanks so much, courtyard! Yeah, I know, I need to push out that extra time to get over my problem areas. I'll keep it in mind--in fact, I'm gonna write it down and have it on my desk ("Spend MORE time already on that drawing!")
    Pigeonkill - Thank you so much! I'm always happy to se the word "improvement" here
    MacTire - Thanks a lot, man I'm happy if I got you inspired, that makes me smile!
    Zilrion - Thank you, you're too kind
    AmontilladoAg - Haha, thanks so much! And I'm sure it'll make you happy that there are in fact quite a few males in this updates!
    IanE - Hi Ian, glad to see you here again! Thanks for the awesome comment, see you around, buddy!
    quackart - Aw, thanks so much. Well, here's a new update for ya
    Aaron Death - I'm just speechless for your awesome and helpful comment. Seriously, can I kiss you? *mwah* I do for sure not mind this sort of advise at all, believe me! Looks like all you learned at LAAFA can fill books! Composision/action/dynamics has never been my strongest point and I'm sad to say I've spent little time improving in that area. I'll definitely keep this firmly in mind for my next piece
    Sekino - Thanks for the advise Oh wow, after you pointed out how tightly cropped Suki image is...I can't stop thinking about it every time I see it. Very good point! I so often forget about the way I present my images, stopping and thinking about cropping and background is something I should try to improve in!
    JailHouseRock2 - Hi Matt and thank you! I'm glad you liked those portraits, I did pour plenty of love in those, glad it shows Hm, colour you say? I am so afraid of that! But no time like now, right? I promise to do some attempts--whether they'll be successful, I know nothing of
    Ruivo - Whoo, thank you, o Great Motivator! Those waves sure made their way up here
    ~Faust~ - Thanks, Faust, you're always so sweet! Yes, you have a point, I spent vastly more time on my SP than the other two portraits, it really shows. I need to be able to make them less vague but still manage to do it quickly...phew, that's not gonna be easy!
    kelly x - Hi Kelly, you live, yay! Thanks for your wonderful crits! I have to shamefully admit, however, that I'm not the author of the sumi-e I found it on a stock website I'm really impressed you spent 6 years studying that! Man, I'd love that. I happen to have a set of ink and pencils that my brother bought for me (although in China, erm), I really should do some experimenting myself.

Okay, so this time, it's really just some random sketches. Nothing too grand, sorry

First off! 3 awesome CA members
    Attachment 736766Attachment 736768Attachment 736767

Mostly random sketches, although that was a fairly lousy SP attempt in the upper left corner.
    Attachment 736778Attachment 736771Attachment 736776Attachment 736764Attachment 736763

I suddenly felt the urge to draw silly old people! Haha!
    Attachment 736777Attachment 736770

And here is the fail of the update, as is promptly labelled there! Seriously, I'm cringing. The 'legs' look like something not of this planet and yes, that's a sorry excuse for a SP. Looks nothing like me, and no, I was not angry! WTF overall.
    Attachment 736773Attachment 736772

Ooh, this was fun! Oddly enough, this is something used to draw all the time, like 10+ years ago. That is, drawing stylized little girls in their national costumes. Felt like revisiting that! Can you spot the countries they represent?
    Attachment 736769

Okay, so I lied. Here's a sketch I did today for the Team Chow Just to get the ball rolling, I won't be doing this again For these to make sense, check out our thread!
    Attachment 736780

I downloaded the sweet portrait video by Zhanglu/Manley and will definitely be using the awesome tips there more often. So, heh, this is Jasmine using the method, just from imagination. She came out..oddly, to say the least. At least 15 years older and seriously unhappy. What.
    Attachment 736762

Ugghh, I need to draw moooarrr.
    sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whee, updates!

Haha, I start to recognize you on your SPs! XD I really like your scribbles. Definitely should save you from drawing copy & paste faces.

And Jasmine really looks somewhat pissed. What have you done to her? lol Otherwise, I hope that video helped you. Perhaps try to do more portraits with that technique?

Thanks
    I like your different characterizations. :3 And I subscribed, sorry it took so long!
    Blackbird Parfait Sketch Blog~
    O-mie@DA
    Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
    A sword wields no power unless the hand that holds it wields courage.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 798 Posts
    Love the viking woman with the dripping axe and the jasmine portrait. The back view of the girl with the.. smoking pencil(?) is nice though her balance of weight could be better. Very organic pose though; would like to see more like her ^^ Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Cool style you've got going on. Hmm, seems to me that your cartoony drawings have more confidence and "life" to them than your realistic drawings though, but your stylized drawings are much Great job on the Avatar drawing. What program did you use to make it?

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast